Chit Chat About Guns,,Reloading ,Ect

bacustomknives

FULL THROTTLE / FULLTIME KNIFE MAKER
GANG HERE IS YOUR OWN LITTLE PLACE TO DISCUSS " Guns,,Reloading ,Ect " HAVE AT IT!!!
THANKS BILL & CHRIS :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanx,Bill & Chris!

I started reloading in 1974,with my two B'rers,who live about a half mile on either side of me,yet today.
They are two of the best friends any man could ask for.We've never had an argument,and we split the cost of handloading equipment three ways,always.
Older B'rer Byron is the man who taught B'rer Bill & I to hunt.He'll turn 69 on 3Aug11, and he can track a lizard across a dry rock.
Younger B'rer Bill is 3 years younger than me,making him 54. He can see in the dark.
The old timer who taught us to handload
(Reloading is what you do, before your gun runs empty! Handloading is the precision art of bettering factory ammo consistently,while searching for that one-hole group! )
Anyway,where was I?
Aw,OK.The old-timer who taught us to handload was OCD,and a Safety FREAK. He hand-weighed every single round he loaded....so guess what? So do we!
And by 'we', what I mean is: we never handload without all 3 of us,side-by-side,in Gnarly's Handloading Emporium & Den Of Iniquity.
And that's an ironclad rule we've always had.
We do case prep one night,then clean the tools & drink coffee.
Next time we get together,we seat primers,drop powder,and seat bullets.
Actually,we all seat primers,then B'rer Bill drops powder and weighs it on the 10-10 manual scale.
Then he passes it to B'rer Byron,who weighs it again on an electronic jewelers scale we sto I mean bought at a yard sale.
If all is good, he hands it to me....neither of them will seat bullets.Not since we went to micrometer dies.
Then it gets stuck in the fine Sinclair comparator,and measured for C.O.L.
A quick wipe-off,to get the Hornady One-Shot lube off,and it's ready for business.

And I believe either one of them could 'drive' our quickLOAD program,but they mostly watch over my shoulder.It's on a dedicated laptop,next to the tool chest.

I have a headful of memories....

Yes....thanks Bill and Chris........a very nice gesture......:thumbup:.

It flows Gnarly and I both understand it and abide by most all rules and processes you've mentioned............;). I however, learned on my own and still do it all alone. My son isn't that interested and hasn't the time while owning his own business. But I enjoy goin' it alone.....problem is, if there's a "mistake", I can then only blame myself. Truth be told, nearly 40 years of handloading all sorts of different cartridges.........no issues or "OOPS!!"......as yet. No progressives for me, scale weigh each charge and hand prime each as well (excepting the use of a Uniflo when charging223's.....gazillions of 'em!!!) and all other long and sometimes tedious ways of doing things handloading.......'cuz it's just more exact.....IMHO...;).

Load all rifle cartridges that I own and .44Mag. I've several other pistol/revolver's as well, but haven't loaded for those. I've got lots of rounds from way back when from when I was a LEO. I'm a Glock fan and can understand why others are not, but I base my carry decisions on function and fit, rather than anything cosmetic or pleasing to the eye. I have a Kimber .45 as well (Ultra Carry II in SS) which is quite fetching and runs well, but when a G27 can run as well, hold several more rounds and be even more concealable and no less effective given the proper weighted bullets...........for me anyway.........the more comforting choice.

Bolt action long guns, rackable scatterguns, all forms of .22 handgun and outside of the aforementioned lean towards Glocks.......never underestimate the usefulness, concealability and total realiability of a 642/442. A great partner for any weather and doesn't need a coat to hide it. best of all, it always goes "bang".

Opinions (some with more zeal than others...) are just that and not much about firearms and handloading isn't fraught with such, but let's do it peacefully when we eventually arrive there, 'cuz we will and let's just not.......;).

Here is my baby. It was actually the first real handgun I ever bought for myself about 15 years ago. It has gone through some upgrading, trigger, refinish, internals, front strap stippling, etc. I have had a ton of EDC guns since but have sold them all. This is the perfect gun for me. Carrys well, has never once malfunctioned in over 10k rounds. and is just so damn pretty(IMO)
CZ003.jpg

Opinions (some with more zeal than others...) are just that and not much about firearms and handloading isn't fraught with such, but let's do it peacefully when we eventually arrive there, 'cuz we will and let's just not.......;).

:thumbup:

Totally agree.I'm an opinionated sumbitch as it is; I know that'll come as a surprise :eek: to some of you here....but alas: 'tis true.
On the other hand,I agree with civility.I don't OWN any opinions that I would allow to alienate me from these fine folks here.And despite enjoying handloading for years,I still have plenty to learn!

Since you own both WSM's & WSSM's,magnumb,I'd like to personally invite you to join another peaceful,non-confrontational bunch of shortFatMagnum fanatics,over on wssmzone.com Forum.
Tell 'em Gnarly sent you!

Here is my baby. It was actually the first real handgun I ever bought for myself about 15 years ago. It has gone through some upgrading, trigger, refinish, internals, front strap stippling, etc. I have had a ton of EDC guns since but have sold them all. This is the perfect gun for me. Carrys well, has never once malfunctioned in over 10k rounds. and is just so damn pretty(IMO)
CZ003.jpg

Very nice,Chris!
Only ? improvement ? I can even suggest....and I'll bet you can guess what it is! ;)

Red Mallee Burl grips!

No,wait a minute....you got rid of all the RMB :( ....maybe send it to BA,for some Lace Sheoak...that's another beauty.

LOL! Couldn't resist the 'dig' at ya! :D

~Gnarly

We're on the same page. Gnarly..........:thumbup:.

Nice CZ KFU.....!!!! Much nicer when you can say, " has never malfunctioned once.....". That's the complete and total "selling point" for me, regardless of any sentimental considerations, cosmetics or any other non-functional considerations.........................does it WORK and work ALL the time.....!!!!!

Gun questions...
In the market for a lever action .22. I was thinking something small. I had a chance to hold the Browning BL-22 Micro Midas. It is a very small gun. Have any of you guys herd of a full size shooter using a youth gun like this? holding the gun it didn't seem like it would be a problem...what are your thoughts? If you think this would be a no go what are your recommendations?

The Browning 1911-22. To get one, or not to get one...that is the question?

Thanks for the help.

Best,

Browning never made a bad gun,period.

Kinda puzzled why you're looking @ a youth-sized gun? Have seen you Mug Shots....undersized,you ain't!

If you're looking for lighter/smaller/packable,then go for it.

Alan, I have some experience with those guns. The best levergun I ever shot was an older Marlin 1894. You really can't go wrong with any Marlin .22. Remington also produced a levergun in their Nylon stocked seried back in the 60s and 70s I think. They are becoming collectors items so grab one if you can. Not as classic as the 1894 but cool nonetheless. Henry also made one but I didn't really like it. Ive never shot the Browning, but like Gnarly said, they make great guns. That guy was a genious.

lol yah i'm def not a youth sized guy, but the idea of a smaller rifle. It would be easy to throw it into a duffel bag or something of the sort. I like the .22 becasue the rounds are cost effective, and I have killed a dear with one so I know it can get the job done if it has to.

I am thinking about putting together a practical arsenal. This would consist of a 12 gauge shotgun, a .308 rifle (or similar round..affordable and available), a .22 rifle, and a pistol (probably in .40 S&W). I plan on getting 2 of each of these weapons so that Ash can have one as well.

I am already set on the Remington 870 for the 12 gauge. I have owned one in the past, and still would if my dad would let me get it out of his gun safe.

I really like the smaller size of that browning BL-22 Micro i mentioned above. Mix that with a x4 scope and i think i will be happy with the results...small effective and cheap to shoot

I am at a complete loss for the .308...all i know is that i want it to be a bolt action and to have open sights (in case the scope gets jacked up). If you have any suggestions in this area i am all ears. The round doesn't have to be .308 just what i was thinking while trying to come up with this.

For the pistol i was thinking the Glock 23. Again open to suggestions, but i like the .40 S&W round. I have a couple pistols that could fit this bill already, but my thinking is that I can always use another gun, and it would be nice to have the same one for Ash so she will know how to operate and clean it. Glocks in my experience have been really simple to take down and put back together.

again I would love to hear you guys thoughts on the functional arsenal idea.

Gnarly...thanks for the response.

Chris, I have actually shot a newer model Marlin 39A in .22

the problem is that my dad bought it for the farm, and before it even had 100 rounds through it the ejector messed up, and now it wont spit out the spent cartridges. I have several other marlin lever action rifles several of which have met the same fate as my 870...if only i could figure out my dad's combo -.- . As you said the 1894 is a great gun. i have it chambered in 44 Mag and .357 Mag. both are awesome. Ash actually bought me the .357 mag lever action for a graduation present. It took her almost a year to track one down. While i have nothing against marlin's larger guns, the performance of their .22 has left a bad taste in my mouth and I think i am going to stay away from the 39A.

Your good on the shotgun. As for the pistol, I myself like anything made by CZ! They are usually 9mm but do make some .40 cals. In a plastic gun I actually prefer the S&W M&P line. They are great guns and for me are more accurate than the Glock. I also have a good buddy that makes a killer kydex sheath for it. I prefer leather but this thing is the best kydex Ive ever used for CCW.

That sucks! Ive never had that problem with my Marlins. Do you have to have a lever .22? They are wicked cool and fast when practiced but aren't the most accurate. I see you want something smaller so that might be the way to go than. My favorite .22s are older 50s Mossbergs and Remingtons with the peep sights. Tack drivers with good old Walnut and blueing! I bet that .357 is sweet! I was going to get one for a HD rig but chose a 12 guage coach gun for the shorter barrel length instead.

how si the CZ for take down and set up...I know from using Glocks that they are only like 3 pieces. For Ash's sake I am looking for "the simpler the better"

yah the marlin .22 is a lever gun...it was great until it stopped working. Dad keeps saying he is going to get it fixed...we'll see.

yah I already got Ash a 870 in 12 GA so that eliminates having to buy two. it was her anniversary present last year. She wanted a gun after someone broke in and stole the MacBook pro I bought her the year before. I offered to get her another computer, but she chose the firepower over the the Comp...one of the many reasons i love her. She got the one with the black composite stock and the short 16 inch barrel.

not to get any of you off topic who are thinking about answering my many questions in the gun world (which i am sad to say my knowledge is lacking outside of the ones I own), but did you guys hear the army is doing away with the M9? Looks like they are starting to test pistols to replace it. I have a list of the options around here somewhere.

Not as easy as the Glocks but pretty easy. Pull slide back 3/4 knock slide stop out and your good to go. Cool thing is they produce the mags so you can use them to knock the stop out. Honestly, I have tried just about every CCW sized gun out there and the CZ won out for me. Its obviously heavier than the plastic guns but is still really nice in a holser. You get SA/DA with a safety or models with decockers. I have had 6 or so different models and chose the older 75 compact with a safety. They make some plastic and aluminum frames also in their PC lineup which is based on the 75. Ive read that the CZ 75 was the most used handgun in history but I don't know for sure. Check out the pic up in the thread of mine. I had it refinished, smoothed out the trigger, added a stainless guide rod, and tritium sights. Also the front and back strap were stippled by the guy that makes that sheath I mentioned above. It and the CZ 97 in .45 are the most accurate guns Ive ever shot other than a really high dollar 1911.

There is nothing better than buying your significant other a firearm! I bought mine an old German Sig 225/P6 and had it reworked for her. The exterior was holster worn to hell but the internals were perfect. Great CCW single stack 9mm although I can't get used to the Sig triggers.

cool i will look into them. I am also interested to hear what else Gnarly, J1M, and the other gun guys have to say on the topic...i'm sure they will find there way here soon.

do you have any experience with .308 rifles or anything similar?

yah i held a P229 today. I really wanted one, and still do, but not as sure. It just didn't feel right. I need to get out and shoot one to be able to really make up my mind. I am going to postpone buying any other fire arms until i can get this little "practical arsenal" project taken care of. I feel almost naked with only one gun in the apartment.

Back