Choli question

Maybe you mean CHOIL? I think it is what the notch or cutout on a blade nearest the handle is called- makes it easier to sharpen on benchstones, or large ones are for a finger grip when choking up on the blade.

I could be wrong, but I havent heard of a choli. :)

There was a recent post with the same question. The choil is for sharpening. Prevents the stone and the knife from being damaged. And as said in the previous post, many large knives have a large choil for resting the finger in.

So I don't see how this helps with sharpening. It appears that the end of the knife closest to the fingers is just cut out, but still includes an "end", which it would have even if the choil wasn't cut there. Either way, ther is an end to the knive and it needs to be sharpened. How does having 1/2 inch of this cut out help in the sharpening process?

Cliff

The choil lets the blade end evenly and cleanly, whereas in a cheaper knife it tapers into the tang. So you can sharpen a knife without dragging the tang along the stone.

kaosu04 said:
The choil lets the blade end evenly and cleanly, whereas in a cheaper knife it tapers into the tang. So you can sharpen a knife without dragging the tang along the stone.

Just because a knife doesnt have a choil notch, that doesnt automatically make it "cheaper"- it is just a design element, and one that some people dont prefer. You just have to be more careful when sharpening if you dont have one. :)

If a Chefs knife, which is used daily, and sharpened daily or weekly, at least, is a high use knife and is very frequently sharpened and aren't cheap, don't have a choil, I don't thing it is a necessity.

Just my thoughts on whether it was a necessity or just a design element that wasn't functional.

Cliff :)

Back