Choosing a Cutting Board?

This was my favorite cutting block. I made if from reclaimed oak from wood pallets. I ended up selling it to a local BBQ Pit. I am a firm believer in wood as it is naturally antibacterial and does not ruin you blade.
VNa8NEU2amjWUruGXHH_aLzRp1JiBs9t0-KIAFWe9arpeFFKxEbp38HqMIZA82FqtLAbiZRrihAYyy1RKI1g8V0VFZ1okOqzVe15u3S4v2S_-Er3oLbLaji2kAvDl2L5nXi3wUVvSR5-fHDYDcNIcyJ9Rqo1EchmghZgeSJfrm4AItq7blU2v4uvv31x-byEqrsT7ey3kw5AHHgKQCJn-AsGRSeH3tViwPs2PUkzWAfnd0eYRneZ-FyrIUSoGxLxLOcv-I5r8dXbe8yMauGX6Ie9QNLt_JXbEAsGGVioMqiJmouJVAMwJMVFhGa_lj1PNlmquMLKVkLYuq3PxkB5J5UYOCekq3wFQEfjvFZSb5vL7Zjkw5HIoso5okDzBgBj9rCynzUBsMUwuG-tn2ipe9ODiFlvdscgqNZunzSV8yEOp5FsK6M3ZstRNUrV2AIm2RhsWA72E9RwjRUKrLZHMK2DoyZBEHQWlHBGRcAzuHYLUu9sc_xoPi8vJMpE7MLvq244r-FWj6zGwqyINeS2cHb47f4WYnq9h5ciCvthsv_y8JeVPrgaqjbCmnf0CL44bvXBXzpH14y9tbipJ5oq-HQdGAUQU_CRa3JndUNwr0Abc0avDw=w1640-h922-no

I pounded the nails in deep then drilled the tops out and filled the holes with ironwood and oak pins I make myself.
6YDO9A3_zBq_BYFyqzgWT5_kEehk1rt9Bxp5mkveLk3IlnHG5PmkMjof0OtgZCMTnqxJTWoKMgIGtmnyzbgIROrok7Ipkd_Rgw1ppQdjeB_CTiZsYiK-6VnCObttiPGvUMa6LTmQWBM_-8VlMSMGIFLNjJ1OOLovc9e5VeU_O5OjSlfuaT7He8IcoJOmbIYfyVT-_5ypSgZFwC6nYU_s1gRJ2Kxfa81NtMw0TlW71sA2uWX9saZSgqcL-zpY1Hqvdb4HVsRUfB30JCsQKaduNlB2GsZE_wZ8TcfUotIffbGBEiX_iABLztU4J9KJsAJnDx6z_8SFgaVYBL-qTbl6fCU8-8PYjiUQDVk6rGcL3SFqDJysXwbANMFGHZbwjjELMbHTTQDHXFurCKdCzw6LBmJaW21O-A_ggpCxroXwmf4_AzHQ9__QC57PU3xsVJU-hP2BqXyc7TqV9LOwgpdLBC809Gnm6xlZ_ASyCzUV7G4DdYgPQAK5TUzRkrwTUohJ2H9tqytHPZgEGsMfyxmFeHY-MYVFjcF0Wf-UbCEQwgfiUw7j4BO0zjTeARUF6c97tJvt_lHGUifIfQb_DSwKYxuMFZwshsxW5Q8138TRPruCWr0aaA=w1640-h922-no

The auction site has several customer makers. I bought a really nice looking walnut end grain board from maker/seller 277wood earlier this year. Here it is under some knives I had out playing with recently:

For small jobs, such as cutting up the tomato (yes, it is a pathetic, hard, no-flavor wally world 'mater) below for a sammich I just ate a few minutes ago, those $0.88 polyethylene boards from Wally World are hard to beat. I can just toss in the dishwasher for easy sanitation and they do not take up much space.

Last edited:
IIRC wood pallets from off shore must be treated with pesticide to be brought into the USA!
From my knowledge of woodworking - Once you sand the wood don't use a cutting tool [knife] on it . The sanding leaves abrasives on the wood.
Corian and similar materials are made from a resin + a filler which is abrasive !!
Never soak a wooden board it invites warping .
Don't let a board sit with food on it can cause warping and invites bacteria.
Clean with hot soapy water , rinse with hot water , dry .

I wondered regarding the sanding but I did flush it pretty good before putting butcher block finish on it. The wood I used was heat and pressure treated no chemically treated. You can check the pallets by the stamps burned into them. Most countries do not chem treat their pallets anymore but I do have some very nice wood from India that was used for a shipping crate. It is MB treated so can not be used for indoor furniture cutting boards or indoor art. I taught my buyer to wash the board rinse it and stand it on it's side. All the boards you purchase commercially will have been glued and sanded unless you buy a solid endgrain block and that will still have been sanded. I use a metal scraper for final finish on my cutting blocks.

At home, I only use end grain wood boards, some of which I've bought here. Boos makes good boards.

At work, I use these cork boards, 6 feet long, 45 lbs, and priced at about 600 to 800 each.

For home, any end grain wooden board will work. Get a few so you don't mix poultry with red meats and veggies etc.

Back