Chopper?

hhmoore

Gold Member
I've been off site for a few months - and sticking my head in a few times over the past few days. There was talk in the big thread about a more dedicated chopper. 12-13" blade. I believe it was first planned to be S7, then said it would likely be 3V.

Has there been any progress with this? Did I miss it entirely?
Any info would be much appreciated.

Not that I know of.
The GSO 10 would make a fine chopper if I could keep a little better grip on it.
See my topic in this same forum about possible ideas on future versions of the GSO 10

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the GSO 10, but my inquiry was about a different model. Guess it won't be happening any time soon.
Maybe I would have been better off going back to the big thread - seemed like Survive! people were pretty good about responding there

I haven't heard anything more about the new model, but Guy & Ellie are still running behind on getting CURRENT orders finished/shipped while also preparing to move from PA to ID. I wouldn't expect much more along that front anytime soon, and I'd personally prefer they keep working on current orders than spend much time on the forums... for now, anyway ;)

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for the GSO 10, but my inquiry was about a different model. Guess it won't be happening any time soon.
Maybe I would have been better off going back to the big thread - seemed like Survive! people were pretty good about responding there

Hey, I apologize for any delay in responding. We do stay pretty darned busy with orders and we're only a three person company. As far as your chopper question... Yes I do have a larger GSO-12 design all buttoned down and it is a beast. Unfortunately it is also going to be nightmarishly expensive to manufacture. Since we aren't doing preorders any more, which did help lessen the blow of the steel order, it might end up being early winter before I can get that project moving.

Rasco, I see up there something about the GSO-10 being a fine chopper if you could keep a better grip on it... No worries, I've taken all of the feedback into account for future production runs of that model.

-Guy

Thanks (everyone) for the info.
I wasn't sweating the response time or production delays. I just hadn't been around for 3-4 months and was curious whether the status was "going to do" vs "might do someday". A direct question seemed the easiest way to find out.

My apologies if my response to the GSO 10 guy was curt.

Hey, I apologize for any delay in responding. We do stay pretty darned busy with orders and we're only a three person company. As far as your chopper question... Yes I do have a larger GSO-12 design all buttoned down and it is a beast. Unfortunately it is also going to be nightmarishly expensive to manufacture. Since we aren't doing preorders any more, which did help lessen the blow of the steel order, it might end up being early winter before I can get that project moving.

Rasco, I see up there something about the GSO-10 being a fine chopper if you could keep a better grip on it... No worries, I've taken all of the feedback into account for future production runs of that model.

-Guy

You rock sir!
I'm already lookin forward to it :)

-Guy

There is nothing wrong with the GSO 10 as a chopper. The handle is fine if only a little on the thin side, nothing two liners can't fix. If people can't hang onto it then they need to buy and axe.

I've been off site for a few months - and sticking my head in a few times over the past few days. There was talk in the big thread about a more dedicated chopper. 12-13" blade. I believe it was first planned to be S7, then said it would likely be 3V.

Has there been any progress with this? Did I miss it entirely?
Any info would be much appreciated.

We do have a GSO-12 in the works, which I've designed to be more of a dedicated chopper. The GSO-10 was designed as an all arounder, a big knife really but the GSO-12 is going to be an efficient chopping tool. It should have all the capabilities of a small to medium pack axe but with the increased functionality and flexibility that comes with a knife design. The design is all completed, we just need to get it into the production schedule. I also have an M-12 design, which is a machete variant. They are similar in size but have slightly different blade profiles.

-Guy

I cant wait to see the 12. There was once a pic of Guy working at his table on a drawing. The knives in the drawing were the necker2 and a giant Kukri looking beast.

I cant wait to see the 12. There was once a pic of Guy working at his table on a drawing. The knives in the drawing were the necker2 and a giant Kukri looking beast.

And that Kukri looking beast evolved into the GSO-12 and the M-12. I dropped that in there as a hint of things to come. Good eye.

I just went on Facebook looking for the picture of Guy at the drawing board, but I was unsuccessful, which isn't the point of this post.

The point is WOW there are some vocal people posting about yesterday's 5.1 sales. Some called the knives selling out quickly "unacceptable", some complained about having to choose orange G10 handles, some guy thought it would be smart to have another round of preorders...

I get that people love your knives and get impatient about being able to have one, but I hope you can shrug off that negativity and continue to feel really good about your company.

I just went on Facebook looking for the picture of Guy at the drawing board, but I was unsuccessful, which isn't the point of this post.

The point is WOW there are some vocal people posting about yesterday's 5.1 sales. Some called the knives selling out quickly "unacceptable", some complained about having to choose orange G10 handles, some guy thought it would be smart to have another round of preorders...

I get that people love your knives and get impatient about being able to have one, but I hope you can shrug off that negativity and continue to feel really good about your company.

It is amazing how people will complain about things in life that don't go there way. I forgot you should get everything you want when you want it. NOT! I waited 2 yrs for a 5.1 and decided to buy one second hand because one was not available when I had money. I never thought it was Survive's fault for not having it ready when I wanted it, it was just circumstantial and my choice to buy, wait, or move on to another brand.

Bottom line: people need to be an adult and quit blasting a company because someone was able to buy something you didn't get. Life is not fair. Move on or wait.

With all the above said, most of the comments here on BF have been constructive. The above rant is after looking at the poor baby's on Facebook. I don't know why I go there any more, all it does is remind me of how self entitled and self important people have become behind a keyboard.

Last edited:

Hope you're not referring to me about the orange handle scales....
I wouldn't really call it a "complaint", just reporting on my purchase / experience on the site. I even said it's not a big deal (cuz it's not like I plan on reselling it.)

Back