Christmas Gift

Hey all, brand new to these forums. Came here looking for advice, i purchased a knife a while back but recent broke the handle, the blade itself is still good and 440 steel, what i want to do is to extend the handle portion and carve a new wooden handle so i can give it to a close friend as a Christmas present. The attached pictures show both the blade and the second piece of 440 steel i want to extend the handle with, have already stripped the paint off of the blade now i just need to learn how to weld the two pieces together. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as i have little experience in this matter.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b597/Jonathan_Fequet/001_zpse5561182.jpg

Welcome to Bladeforums.

You will be best to get him another present.

To fix that blade, you will have to weld on a new tang extension, grind it smooth, shape it, then install a new handle. From the fact that you asked this question, I will assume you don't know how to do any of these things. Even when done you will have a very mediocre knife.

Unless you know a local knifemaker with the equipment and experience to do the tang work for you, you will be far better off to use the next three weeks making him a carved Santa/fish/animal or some other handmade present.

Welding stainless steel is not for beginners. I suggest you buy a blade ,one already heat treated and make a nice handle for it .

Thank you both for the welcome and the advice given, but i'm looking just for how this can be done not just gift ideas. There's a lot of sentimental value behind getting her specifically the knife using the parts there, rather than just carving something or buying another knife. I have access to both acetylene torches and an arc welder if those would be simpler than a conventional forge.

Without solid knowledge of welding stainless steels it will be next next to impossible with any of the tools you listed. It's also likely that the welding heat will ruin the heat treat on the knife and require having it re heat treated.

TIG welding is the way to go with this, and the blade will need to be re heat treated.

Thank you both for the welcome and the advice given, but i'm looking just for how this can be done not just gift ideas. There's a lot of sentimental value behind getting her specifically the knife using the parts there, rather than just carving something or buying another knife. I have access to both acetylene torches and an arc welder if those would be simpler than a conventional forge.

conventional forge and stainless are not particularly compatible.
mig/tig welding the tang extension on is one way to go -- which will leave you with a weak spot in the handle if this is going to be a user knife, unless you get the knife re-heat treated by a professional.
the other way to go is to extend the tang forward - you will lose some blade length, but won't be creating an inherent weakness at a weld line.

files or a belt sander and bucket of water are going to be necessary for this either way -- acetylene torch or bench grinder will ruin the heat treat, unless you have a VERY light touch with the bench grinder.

Jed there all correct and giving you some good advice. But I know how it is to ask a question and only have everyone tell you why you can't do it. I I feel your going to do it anyway. Second option take it to a local welding shop that has the know how and equipment. As a last result clamp the blade between two aluminum plates in a vice with wet wrag at the front of the handle weld the best you can. Grind off weld keeping blade cool
Put the blade in household oven at 300* for 2 hours to temper welded area. Best case you end up with a fair looking knife that will be a nice decorative piece. Worst case you end up with a broken knife not unlike what you started with. But either way you will have learned something along the way. Best of luck

Thank you all for the given advice, i'll be bringing it to one of my buddies who is a welder by profession and see what he can do with it.

Back