How To Clean the Eye of an Axe Head

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and this is the first axe that I'm restroing.

Can anyone help me with a good way to clean the rust from the eye? I already soaked in vinegar and the rest of it is coming off great. I just can't figure out a decent way to clear the eye. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Mike

What you wanna do I use a wire wheel instead of vinegar to remove the rust, then a small wire brush and some sandpaper will clean the eye out.

This is exactly the reason I deferred to the forum. A wire wheel hadn't crossed my mind. Thank you very much!
A vinegar soak will work, but leaves behind no patina and leaves an unatracunatt dull grey color.
The wire wheel on an angle grinder and some care is really the best way.

You can get a little wire cup brush for a Dremel which will open up when it gets going , this will work wonders for cleaning out the eye.
But if you don't have a dremel, some sandpaper on a stick and some steel wool will get the eye rust free.

It doesn't need to be spotless Inside though as the marks it will leave on the tongue of the handle will show the high spots and help when fitting.

A vinegar soak will work, but leaves behind no patina and leaves an unatracunatt dull grey color.
The wire wheel on an angle grinder and some care is really the best way.
Thank you very much! I tried this really to see if I could accomplish it and I got bit by the "axe" bug I think.
You can get a little wire cup brush for a Dremel which will open up when it gets going , this will work wonders for cleaning out the eye.
But if you don't have a dremel, some sandpaper on a stick and some steel wool will get the eye rust free.

It doesn't need to be spotless Inside though as the marks it will leave on the tongue of the handle will show the high spots and help when fitting.

I have a small wire cup brush on a long 1/4" shaft. Gets in eyes pretty well but not quite all the way into the narrow end of the eye.

Having some degree of rust in the eye is helpful when fitting the handle, as it'll mark the high points. Unless it's pretty crusty in there I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Back