Cleaning an SAK

How do you folks keep your SAKs clean after toating them for a long time? I know mine gets so full of lint and dust that it's rediculous. I've tried blowing it out with compressed air, running q-tips through it, but it always still seems dirty. Also, have you ever noticed that grayish-looking film that forms on the red handles? I usually just wet my finger and rub it off, but I was wondering what causes it. No matter how dirty it gets, my SAK still get the job done every time I've used it. Thanks

I carry my Champ in a leather beltpouch. It doesn't get as dirty as one carried in the pocket. Sometimes i clean it out a little with a dry paintbrush. two or three times a year I wash the knife out with warm water, soap and a paintbrush. After that I blow it dry with compressed air and oil it as recommended on the Victorinox site.

Mylan

I carry mine in my pocket with my other junk.

I have an electric shaver cleaning brush that I brush the joints out with a few times a week. Occationally I will stick it in the soapy dishwashing panwhile doing the dishes, then wash with hot water, dry with a towel and then blow out the extra water with canned air or a blow dryer. Then I put a drop of Miltec in each joint and work the tool open and shut.
Regarding the film that you mentioned, it must be something relating to your environment b/c none of my scales have gotten that film, they just get scratched up.

Only maintenance mine ever get beside sharpening is a WD-40 dousing followed by compressed air. Never had a problem with any of them.
They just keep on tickin'.

Zeppelin said:
How do you folks keep your SAKs clean after toating them for a long time?

Dry paintbrush from time to time... sometimes wash it with water. Carrying it in a leather beltpouch instead of a pocket helps a lot.

I didn't notice the grayish film... can't say anything about it.

Not wishing to seem anal here but when you use the word 'an' it should be before a vowel.

an Elephant, an Apple

a SAK

;)

an....an1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n; n when stressed)
indef.art.
The form of a used before words beginning with a vowel or with an unpronounced h: an elephant; an hour.

Larry S.

Some of my SAKs get absolutely filled to the brim with crud, usually in the form of grease and oil soaked wood. I wash the knife with dish soap, rinse with warm water, spray with WD-40, spay with compressed air, and oil with a light machine oil.

I remember when I was in the middle of nowhere and my SAK was dropped in water, therefore hindering the 'walking and the talking' of the blades. Since there was no WD40 or similar lubricants around, I just used vegetable oil. Worked nice and been using it since.

bama_lou said:
I remember when I was in the middle of nowhere and my SAK was dropped in water, therefore hindering the 'walking and the talking' of the blades. Since there was no WD40 or similar lubricants around, I just used vegetable oil. Worked nice and been using it since.

Vegetable oil...I was always under the impression that that stuff goes rancid after a while! :eek: :barf: :eek:

Clean SAK's? Never! :yawn: Never had a problem with not cleaning them... I did once drop my Buck Cadet in water though, and in that case I added 3 in 1 type oil and worked the action. Smooth as silk the next day.
-Kevin

Back