Cleaning Leather Prior to Dying

Hi, Just had a quick question for the leather sheath makers. Am trying to achieve a more even dye, and was wondering what is most recommended in terms of cleaning and deglazing?

I read alcohol is the way to go, but I'm not sure if this should be applied right before dying, before rewetting, and if it should be diluted with water before hand.

Thanks in advance, learning a lot in this subforum, you guys are great.

Several ways and materials can be used:
1) for standard deglazing I use 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol - it's 70% alcohol 30% water. I use a cheap spray bottle and spritz the leather good and inspect to see if there are any spots that don't look "clean". If things look good I re-spritz then apply the dye while damp.
2) If it doesn't look clean I then use Denatured alcohol or acetone to clean well, then go to back and do step 1.
3) If the leather is discolored then I use a mix of oxalic acid and lemon juice (about 8 to 1 mix). Oxalic acid is sold as wood bleach. Then follow step one.

When dying be sure and "flood" the surface with dye - those little daubers are useless for anything but edges or very small areas. Most of the time I dip dye, whihc for me is simple and gives excellent even coverage.

Love it man. This post answers for me some observations I have been making - and clears up some more.

Thanks Chuck,

TF

I heard that some guys use mineral spirits....I wouldn't know, I've never used it.
I should tho, I have very oily skin ( hey, no wise cracks) and sometimes I leave a smudge on my work and shows up after I dye it.
Nothing like a natural makers mark, huh??:D

Sorry, probably a terrible question, but would the above described cleaning method work for my boots that need to be redyed? Thanks, Doug

Thanks, this helps a lot. I did not realize you could use denatured alcohol for a more thorough cleaning.

I should tho, I have very oily skin ( hey, no wise cracks) and sometimes I leave a smudge on my work and shows up after I dye it.
Nothing like a natural makers mark, huh??:D
That's the great thing about making "aged" leather - those smudges just add to the Patina.......

Sorry, probably a terrible question, but would the above described cleaning method work for my boots that need to be redyed? Thanks, Doug
Yes - first clean all the dirt/dust off with a damp rag and then follow the deglazing directions.......

I just wash it with Lexol ph leather cleaner. Works for me.
100_0921.jpg

Last edited:
Back