Coatings (or something else) to increase weight of plastic handle

Hello,

I'm looking to increase the weight of a knife I really like -- the handle is plastic, and feels way too light.

Are there any ways to increase the weight of it without having to replace the entire handle with a metal one?

I've been looking at alloys with relatively low melting points -- such as woods metal -- to possibly coat it without melting the handle. Would this be possible, or is it just a really stupid idea?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Post a picture of the knife.

Coatings are a no-go. No usable metal has a melting point below that of plastic. Only metal that melts before plastic, off the top of my head, is Mercury which is liquid at room temperature. And not safe to use in any context...

Your only serious option is to replace the handle. Though is the handle is simple plastic, and the balance is that poor because of it, you might simply be better off spending the money you would on the handle-material to simply get a better knife.

Are the handle scales hollow or solid?

You can epoxy heavy metal (used to balance engines) or such into the back of some scales.

Coatings are a no-go. No usable metal has a melting point below that of plastic. Only metal that melts before plastic, off the top of my head, is Mercury which is liquid at room temperature. And not safe to use in any context...

Gallium melts at body temperature. It's also a bad idea, though. Good thing about mercury is that it's heavy as hell. Just pump the insides of the handle full and hope it doesn't leak out.

Your only good option (if you like the rest of the knife), is to replace the handle. It will always feel cheap and plasticky otherwise.

Are the handle scales hollow or solid?

You can epoxy heavy metal (used to balance engines) or such into the back of some scales.

One fella did that with his griptilian handle and he was real happy with it.

You could also epoxy sinkers (fishing line weights).

This assumes hollow plastic grips.

I'm not aware of any paint or metal that would work to add weight to the outside of the handle.

It is actually one of these cool Puukko style Balisongs from Ragnar's:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/9692.jpg

I've gotten it to flip fairly well, but like I said, I'd like it a little heavier.

EDIT:

I'm gonna pick up some J-B cold weld stuff tomorrow and see how it works.

Last edited:
Don't waste your money. Epoxy will add very little weight.

Wrap the handle in Camo-Form Gun Wrap, or duct tape, That will add a little bit of weight to the handle. What Kind of knife is it?

Ah, a bali.

With basic tools, you can fabricate metal handles.

Look in the "butterfly" knife area at some of the homemades.

Gallium melts at body temperature. It's also a bad idea, though. Good thing about mercury is that it's heavy as hell. Just pump the insides of the handle full and hope it doesn't leak out.

I really hope you just forgot a wink smiley on that one. :eek:

Back