Cobalt 6bh &Stellite& Talonite

After burning up the web by following up on every link I could find for talonite, cobalt alloys, stellite, various makers, etc. etc. etc.I found a web site for HPALLOYS. Here is a product called cobalt 6bh which by all reports seems to be another companies version of Talonite.

Is this the same thing by a different name? Is it a decent material to grind on to get the hang of grinding this material?

My reason for asking is they have some scap pieces (long and thin) which would be ideal for small knives, especially filet or paring.

For an experiment it is priced right, and one can order over the web. $50.00 minimum.

Any firsthand knowledge, or opinions.

Thanks to all that responded to my first "DUMB QUESTIONS"

Could you post the URL of the website?

I think Talonite is just a work hardened version of the 6bh alloy...

Running Dog

------------------
Running Dog Knife Company
http://www.runningdogknife.bigstep.com
runningdog@dog.com
mmurphy@premier1.net

Should have put the address in in the first place.
Http://www.hpalloy.com/

I was wrong about the minimum price for materials. Each 8inch long piece is $15.00 plus $3.00 shipping. I ordered some. Cheap for experimenting.

[This message has been edited by Trouthead (edited 04-11-2001).]

It says on the order page the the minimum purchase is $50, but on the knife blanks page that it is $15. Which is it?

And I feel like an idiot, but what are the dimensions of the piece and where is that button to hit to make the purchase? Can't seem to find it.

And now to top it all off, I'm still waiting on my order from Carbide processors. for which I paid almost US$100 for. It's been about 3 weeks since I sent the money order and I'm quite sure they've already received it. *sigh* The things we do for this obsession.

Well, the price is certainly great, but the dimensions ARE NOT!! Maybe you could cut it in half and turn the pieces down into some dart heads!!! 8" x 1/2" x tapered from .125" to 187"!!!!!! Boys, this stuff is hard to grind!! Think about where this stuff came from and you will realize why its so cheap, they are cut up scrap parts from some machine.....actually junk that someone is trying to sell. I will confess that these pieces would probably work great for lathe bits or something like that, but NOT knives.

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com
John 1:14
Love is Stronger than Death!

OMG! 1/2" wide??? OK, so I can probably make 2 delta darts out of one piece, but... a knife blank? I think that's serious misrepresentation! Actually, I might go ahead with the delta dart idea
smile.gif
But that's only if I can figure out how to buy the damn thing.

BTW, I was a little harsh on the guys at Carbide Processors. Came back this afternoon and found the box waiting. And what terrific packing for what is essentially just a small piece of metal. A good solid box 6x6x8" with heaps of bubble wrap and cellophane tape. I think the guys at customs must have taken one look at this and given up hope of opening it. Thank God for my Endura.
biggrin.gif

For sure they are scrap pieces.For sure they are thin. I figure I can make a kitchen paring knife or something that size. Hunting knife, no way. But to see if grinding this alloy is worth it to me without investing much money. I'll try a piece. They also have better sizes but the web site was having difficulties so I never found the price. If I have time today I will log on again.

It surely is a strange web site. Difficult to get around. I did finally figure out how to order the scrap pieces, but couldn't tell how without trying it again on the screen I guess I just stumbled onto it.

The web site gets my vote for IMPOSSIBLE. I tried for twenty minutes to price pieces of 6bh and got no where. Finally emailed them. Will post more info if and when I get it. Did get a confirmation of shipping on the scrap pieces, they will go out today. At least that service is good. (I hope)

[This message has been edited by Trouthead (edited 04-12-2001).]

yes, I tried to figure out how to get around in their site and ended up hitting the X in frustration!!!!!!!!!
frown.gif

Received a reply from Hpalloys. In my email to them I mentioned that I though their site was "impossible" Hpalloys did not much care for my assessment of their web site, as (paraphrased) "they had put long hours into the design". I did not get a response to my request for prices of specific sizes .25x2x8 only that I would have to call as they do not put the small sizes on the web site.

I don't know why but I think this company is still worth trying to do some buisness with. It is certainly possible that this is their first step into small retail. Who knows, but I am willing to give them the benifit of the doubt.

The prices other suppliers have on stellite and Talonite are higher than I would pay to turn into dust just now. I am hoping that Hpalloys is cheaper.

DO NOT count on that......I have been buying Stellite for over 16 years.......and it was $100 per lb back then.......If you bought at least 10 lbs at a time......Cobalt is expensive, as is the process. There is NO way it will ever be cheaper....we get the leftovers/ they make this stuff for serious high tech industry who buy it in big lots.

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com
John 1:14
Love is Stronger than Death!

Back