Cold, Rainy Day in Tejas Scagel Repo Giveaway Contest

Since you started this I have 20 posts!! Hooraayyy!!! Thanks for the chance partner.

-frank

Sweet knife, I've always wanted a Scagel, this is as close as I've gotten I'm in.

Thanks for the great contest.

Upwards of eight inches of snow headed this way tonight as well, the whole country's freezing over this winter! (Milk and bread sales must be through the roof tonight;):D )I'll take a chance, thanks Rob, that's mighty generous of you:thumbup::thumbup:

Eric

I can't resist posting. That little knife is just too 'cool.' :)

Thank you for the opportunity, sir.

Wow Rob,

It doesn't get much better than this. I love Old Bill Scagel and all the history about this fine chap. One helluva man, and that's for sure!. And one the true fathers of modern custom knife making in the early 20th century to be absolutely sure.

I do not know the origin of Ligum Vite or anything about where its grown, or what it is typically used for, ect.. But if Old Bill was drying it for scales for his custom knives its got to be some very good lumber and worthery of his craft.

Geeze, what a beautiful one of a kind knife to give away!. :cool:

Scagel loved his Dogs and only fed them the Venison he butchered from the Michigan White Tail Deer he harvested on a regular basis for them. He loved building knives for a living, but he also loved building in general. He designed and built his simple home and his knife shop all by him self. He was also quite an accomplished purest style horticulturist and planted some wonderful exotics and all his edible vegtables on his property in Michigan and got them to grow and flourish. He worked magic on all types of metal and quite the student of metallurgy. He was WAAYYYY ahead of his time and went GREEN(as the say) long before it was cool to do so, and ran his entire home and his whole shop including his Forge on the electricity from two refurbished old diesel submarine batteries he salvaged out of a junk heap.. One helluva fellow..

The property entrance gateposts with Scagel forged ornate wrought iron artistry..

351j1y1.jpg

vys6zm.jpg

A closeup of the authentic Scagel tang stamp hallmarks and some knives he himself photographed in the 1930's of his knives at the ready to send out to customers..

23lcxar.jpg

Also,, take a good look at my avatar and you will view Old Bill's very favorite Black Lab performing a trick that was featured on his official writing stationary back in the day.

Thanks again for the opportunity Rob, and I sure hope whom ever wins this knife realizes what they are receiving! :thumbup:

Anthony
==========================================================================

What an awesome giveaway! Thanks Rob!

Great post, Anthony. :thumbup: I really enjoyed reading about the man.

If I'm not mistaken, Lignum Vitae is one of the more hard, heavy, dense, woods around. Sinks in water, traditional wood for British police billy clubs, belaying pins on the USS Constitution were made from it, used in ship's propeller tube bearings and on and on. Should make a decent knife handle.:D

Most generous,I'll try... Rob,stay warm & Thank You.
-Vince

Back