Cold Steel Cold Steel 2021 Catalog : Lots of 3V Big Choppers

gurkha kukri in 3v is over $700 msrp?? wtf... for that much I could get 2 or 3 made custom in 3v

but gluck cold steel (do marketing people ever even consider things like this when pulling prices out of their a$$?)

Those are crazy prices
Good God! Not being a huge fan of Cold Steel, it is a little academic for me, but...

Ons thing I really did admire and like about the company was their commitment to bringing affordable, quality knives to the market. (Even if I personally don’t like the majority of them aesthetically.) Who are they hoping to sell to at these prices? Not the majority of their customer base, that’s for certain.

Many of us here have multiple Spydercos, Benchmades, not to mention CRK’s and Shiro’s etc., but for the majority of people out there those knives are eye-wateringly expensive. While I have at times got a wee bit tired of the impassioned arguments of die-hard CS fans, I have always understood where that comes from. This, this huge hoick in prices, is a little bit sad.

Full disclosure, I really do like the American Lawman and more recently the AD-15. The only other one I have is the Recon-1, which now lives in the household toolbox - not in mine! :p

Back before MAP , I used to figure eventual low street price at about 40 to 50% of list .

Now ...I guess just wait and see .

Even at 1/2 list , that Kuk will not be very attractive to me . I already have O1 version that works fine .

But at least everything ain't 4034SS yet !

Back before MAP , I used to figure eventual low street price at about 40 to 50% of list .

Now ...I guess just wait and see .

Even at 1/2 list , that Kuk will not be very attractive to me . I already have O1 version that works fine .

But at least everything ain't 4034SS yet !
Yes, it appears that they decided not to go with the 4034 Trail Master, Recon Scout, Laredo, etc afterall. Do you think the uproar here had anything to do with that?

I think it's highly likely . :p

I think LCT put it out to the fans here for that very purpose . :cool:
Well in any event I hope that the new owners can find an affordable substitute for the high end (expensive) 3V models announced today. A2 or even the tried and proven O1 that was previously used would be nice.

Well in any event I hope that the new owners can find an affordable substitute for the high end (expensive) 3V models announced today. A2 or even the tried and proven O1 that was previously used would be nice.
Yeah , got to have more affordable versions that can still function as heavy choppers in the lineup .

Cheap stainless was NEVER a viable option here , but there plenty of inexpensive but tough candidates available .

Except for that kukri price, the numbers are about what I expected. As long as they stay true to the usual Cold Steel model of knocking off 40-50% once a product ages, we should be fine. So far, most old stuff seems to be priced about the same as the early 2020 prices.

I also hope they find a middle ground for a few of the classics. Even with a hearty discount, knives starting with a $550-764 retail are going to leave a lot of people cold.

The pricing will eventually adjust to market. The disappointment for me was that they have been unable to do anything about the sheath or the handle. That kukri is exactly the same as the 01 model except for the steel, and they have tag on a $500 premium just for that privilege....nuts!!

I was expecting that price range for that knife with a nice quality leather sheath, polished finish, and a solid micarta/g10 handle (about $500-550 retail) But, they fell down on three of those items.

n2s

Last edited:
I don't understand why Cold Steel doesn't put a full tang in their 3V knives instead of those dinky stick tangs. 3V is some of the toughest steel used in knives. If you're going to make a knife to beat on... Make a knife to BEAT on. Don't half ass it.

I am neither a fan nor a detractor of CS, but some of those prices seem really wacky.

That said, the Oyabun Limited looks like it would be a nice addition to my Talwar and Black Sable.

More uncoated blades would be nice like the mini recons would be great as well. I can't wait to hear how their 3v does in the larger knives. Thanks for posting this info.

I think it's highly likely . :p

I think LCT put it out to the fans here for that very purpose . :cool:

Yes, no doubt he reported back (what was it one guy here called them... his "new masters"?) to the buyers of CS that his intricate, subversive and nefarious plans had been discovered by the investigative arm of Bladeforums. o_O

How could LT have known how much time and energy would be burned here to unravel his devious master plan?

I know it's hurtful to some, but after many, many years of intense criticism here of his marketing, his products, his designs and certainly the man himself on a personal level, I doubt he gives much of $#@%^ about the BF haters and critics.

It is possible we just aren't that important to a global company. Ok, probably...

Robert

https://www.coldsteel.com/by-use/?sort=pricedesc&page=1

Scary list prices , ..available for those willing to pay the premium prices .

..LCT also has his own new company = "Never Unarmed" , featuring balisongs , blowguns , polearms , etc .

https://www.neverunarmed.com/shop?lightbox=dataItem-kjyy8ara
uh huh,
cold $teel $it$ in the realm
of the robb report :)
can't afford any big boys toys.
so far, 2021 has been pretty cold.
still very much unarmed and waiting
for lynnT to spring back into action

Yes, it appears that they decided not to go with the 4034 Trail Master, Recon Scout, Laredo, etc afterall. Do you think the uproar here had anything to do with that?

Could be that the 3V stuff was just further ahead, and the 4034 is taking longer cuz they only just started working on it after the A2 issue. With those 3V prices, they're gonna need a lower price option:eek:

Back