Cold Steel counterfeited

It's my impression or are Cold Steel knives the most counterfeited?

why?

What are some tips for identifying counterfeit Cold Steel knives?

It's "your impression". The big US companies Cold Steel, SOG, Benchmade, Spyderco are all so heavily counterfeited that "the most" doesn't mean anything.

Identification of counterfeits at a basic level requires knowledge of the real models, which includes research on the internet and opinions from BF members.

It's "your impression". The big US companies Cold Steel, SOG, Benchmade, Spyderco are all so heavily counterfeited that "the most" doesn't mean anything.

Identification of counterfeits at a basic level requires knowledge of the real models, which includes research on the internet and opinions from BF members.

Yeah I would guess that Benchmade is more counterfeited since there's a larger price differential between what they charge and what it costs to make a cheap copy. Spyderco has too many weird models and sprint run variations to be worth keeping up with, so it would just be a handful of common models that get faked. Cold Steel is a big name but since they're priced as a value brand already, it doesn't make sense for customers to risk a sketchy source to save just a few bucks. There are probably more fake Cold Steels in Europe, or somewhere else where they're much more expensive.

every brand is counterfeited name wise or model wise or both. I doubt anyone can say which brand is counterfeited the most. it can change daily and impossible to count.

I'm always surprised to find out where people buy their knives and where they come across these irreputable dealers, ebay maybe? If I'm ordering from Amazon it's usually stocked and sold by them. If I'm going to order a Cold Steel knife I'm probably buying it from midway.

Sempre fico surpreso ao descobrir onde as pessoas compram suas facas e onde encontram esses revendedores de renome, talvez no eBay? Se estou fazendo um pedido na Amazon, geralmente ele é estocado e vendido por eles. Se vou pedir uma faca Cold Steel, provavelmente vou comprá-la no meio do caminho.
Você acredita que as facas Cold Steel vendidas e entregues pela Amazon são genuínas?

There is some strange false logic being presented in the responses. Spyderco is by far and away the most counterfeited knife company. Mostly because of the price point and commonality of the Delica/Endura models being available for so many years now. Currently I see more cold steel presumably because of the press coverage and YouTube fame. Price doesn't seem to make much difference in the choices made of what to copy, there are $12 Kershaw's that have fakes. I did end up with a cold steel Recon 1 from a late night ebay poor decision and it was from close inspection made with quite good attention to detail. I was actually very surprised and if I hadn't already had one I probably would have been fooled unless the steel performed very badly.

I don't believe it's possible to know what brand is the most counterfeited. It's not like the counterfeiters release production numbers or annual sales reports. And the counterfeit market never stands still. They are always counterfeiting more and different brands. Whatever is number 1 today might be very different from a year from now, or a year ago.

Here's my unscientific research of the current counterfeit market. I conducted a search at DHGate for the word "knife", looked through the first ten pages and counted each individual knife that is a clear counterfeit. I only counted knives that were obvious and virtually identical copies of genuine knives. I only counted each model once. And they either had to have clear false branding, or be identified in the description by the name of the manufacturer and/or the actual model name/number. I didn't count knives that were not copies but had false branding.

Here's the breakdown of the counterfeited brands that were listed in the first ten pages, and how many different, individual models from each brand there were-

Benchmade: 26

Kershaw: 21

Cold Steel: 11

Microtech: 10

Protech: 7

Zero Tolerance: 4

Chris Reeve: 2

CRKT: 2

Buck: 2

Boker: 2

Hubertus: 2

Gerber: 1

SOG: 1

ESEE: 1

Koenig: 1

Paragon: 1

DEMKO: 1

Hogue: 1

I didn't see a single knife described as a Spyderco. I saw two knives that looked like Spyderco models, but they had no visible Spyderco markings, and were not described in any way as Spyderco.

Of course I wouldn't be surprised if in a week those numbers might be different. Maybe less than a week.

Last edited:
Back