Cold Steel Gurkha Khukuri Carbon V info needed.

coolbreezy37

Gold Member
Hello everyone, just got a vintage Cold Steel Gurkha Khukuri in Carbon V off the exchange. Doesn’t seem like it was ever used, and if it was used it was very lightly. Anyone know the going rate for these out of curiosity? I see prices all over the place. Anyone know the approximate age of this Khuk? Got it for $185 shipped and feel like I got a hell of a bargain.
View attachment 2250807View attachment 2250808View attachment 2250809

Last edited:
The 4034 kurkri was a few dollars more at Knifecenter ($189.00 IIRC) for a while but they brought their prices up to the more common price at around $250.00.

The 4034 kurkri was a few dollars more at Knifecenter ($189.00 IIRC) for a while but they brought their prices up to the more common price at around $250.00.
Appreciate the answer, though I was referring to the discontinued Carbon V Gurkha Khukuri.

I don't see many C5 khuks, so it's hard for me to price. It's probably the best khukuri made for actual use, I can say that much. I kinda doubt you're looking to use it, as it sounds more like you're looking to flip it. I would think a collector would pay North of 2 bills in that shape, but, as it's a niche collectible, the value depends upon the specific buyer. A user will pay a premium over SK-5, but probably not the silly a$$ prices GSM charges for 3v or San Mai. You need to find the guy who has an empty spot in his collection to make real money off it.

I don't see many C5 khuks, so it's hard for me to price. It's probably the best khukuri made for actual use, I can say that much. I kinda doubt you're looking to use it, as it sounds more like you're looking to flip it. I would think a collector would pay North of 2 bills in that shape, but, as it's a niche collectible, the value depends upon the specific buyer. A user will pay a premium over SK-5, but probably not the silly a$$ prices GSM charges for 3v or San Mai. You need to find the guy who has an empty spot in his collection to make real money off it.
No flipping here, I never flip knives if anything else resell them at a loss. I bought it to have in my collection. I just wanted to know if I got a good deal. I feel like I got it for a good price and I just wanted to confirm. Thank you for the answer. I got inspired by the carbon v SRK thread.

Last edited:
No flipping here, I never flip knives if anything else resell them at a loss. I bought it to have in my collection. I just wanted to know if I got a good deal. I feel like I got it for a good price and I just wanted to confirm. Thank you for the answer. I got inspired by the carbon v SRK thread.
You did very well on that purchase. Carbon V knives usually start in the $200 range from my perusing of the various sites. That it's untouched and unused makes this one more valuable from a collector standpoint. Of course, I'd use the heck out of it 😁.

Zieg

You did pretty well. If it was the uncoated version, it would have been an amazing deal.

As was I.

You paid significantly less for your Carbon V kukri than the current one made in much cheaper steel.
Oh, I see what you did! My mistake, I read into that one wrong. This is a very helpful piece of information and I appreciate that!

Then I would say you got a very good deal! Anyone getting one, especially in that condition, at a cheaper price is stealing it! Enjoy your piece of knife history.

CS changed the industry, for the better, much to the chagrin of others. If the men in Vietnam needed a tough combat/survival knife, they blew good money for a Randall. CS, under LT, sold numerous knives for pennies on the dollar, comparatively speaking, that were stronger and possibly more effective that those handmade knives. An SRK, Recon Tanto, Recon Scout, Bush Ranger (fixed blade), not to mention higher priced Trailmasters and various Tantos, would be impossible to beat if one wanted a truly combat capable knife. Hell, a basic clip point Voyager would be better than many fixed blades available before LT REVOLUTIONIZED the knife world, with his "give the customer more for less" business model.

Sorry for the rant, but, as I said before, you have the best khukuri, made of one of the best, especially at the time, steels and it'll never be made again. You got a great deal!

Asking prices on eBay are not exactly representative, but I think you could certainly get $300 USD for it from the right collector.

I think so to. I wouldn't want to sell it myself though, I'd be so stoked on getting a good deal on it I wouldn't want to let it go.

I would much rather buy one of Cold Steel’s 1055 Kukri’s for $27 than a 4034 steel one. Actually, a kukri like the Cold Steel Magnum Kukri machete is very tough and an amazing value for under $30. The OP’s carbon V Gurkha Kukri? Yes please!

I have one of the 1055's, it kicks butt. GSA even did a really nice job sharpening it, surprisingly. They didn't do so good with another blade of mine..

I gotta say I’m a huge fan of the Gurkha Khukuri, comfortable and amazing balance and versatility. Seems super durable, I bet it can take quite a beating. How tough are these Carbon V Gurkha Khuks?

I don't really know, I've just never really seen or heard of Carbon V failing much. I think there is a video of Joe X doing a torture test with the 1055 Khukri and it held up pretty well, even beating it against a steel pole.

Not something you would normally do with a Khukuri, or any knife or sword.

Last edited:
Here is how the 4034 version performs. It‘s looks good for display only.

n2s

Some interesting (or maybe not) trivia about the CS Gurkha. it appears to have been based on a relatively obscure khukuri that appeared during WWII. It was based on the British issue Mark II, which was the first GI khukuri using a full tang with pinned on handle slabs. It was smaller and handier than the WWI and earlier models. This appears to be due to firearms becoming more effective and the khukuri's use being more relegated to field use, though still retaining an excellent martial capability. The Mk. III which followed starting in ~1945 is shorter still and retains the full tang.

The khukuri I referred to in the beginning is known as the M43. The reason for the name is that many were stamped "M43", though not all were. While it resembled the standard Mk. II, it had a few distinct characteristics. The tip was pointier, the handle was smaller and the whole thing was generally thinner, lighter and faster. It was as if someone decided to make a fighter version of the Mk. II, but wanted to retain its robust field capabilities. many of them also had a curious pattern of lines carved into the handle. The lines were obviously there for traction, but they were generally two together and three together.

The "who" part is still a mystery, some 80 years later. There are multiple variations among the M43s I've seen. I've owned several different ones, but only retain what I consider a classic example, just missing the actual stamp. IIRC, there is at least one photograph of an OSS "operator" in Burma wearing one , circa WWII.

Supposedly, there are photographs of LT with an M43. The M43 and CS GK are so similar, its hard not to believe LT based the GK on the older khukuri. Also, LT was a historical edged weapon aficionado and often designed copies of historical weapons in his collection. A more excellent khukuri to use as a model I couldn't imagine. As anyone who's handled a GK, of an M43 for that matter, can attest, its an excellent, relatively compact weapon and field tool.

I didn't intend too get this much in the weeds when so started typing 😁 the study of historical khukuri is fascinating and very frustrating. Few records exist and the examples are slowly disintegrating in attics, garages and Nepalese warehouses.

For anyone who's still interested, here's a pic of my CS GK and a typical M43. If he can find newer or better pics, I'll post them.

CSGurkha007_zpsf1a8175d.jpg

CSGurkha008_zpsfecf603b.jpg

Here is how the 4034 version performs. It‘s looks good for display only.

n2s
Yep, that awesome, great, better-than-everything-else, cheap a$$ 4034 performed very poorly. The tip test was shameful. I think the SK-5 SRK did better and it has a needle tip, compared to the very thick GK. That guys testing is silly, but the knife should've done much better, especially on the tip testing.

Back