Cold Steel - Immortal - an interesting find.

Hello fellow Cold Steel fans:

Received my Immortal this week. I'm still trying to decide how well I like this knife. I found something interesting and thought I'd share. Reason for the post is that this Immortal is a little stiff. I loosened the pivot just a bit and looked down inside and did not see the usual flat spring. Curiosity got the best of me and here are pics of what I found:

Immortal_03cr.jpg
Immortal_02br.jpg
Immortal_01ar.jpg

So as you can see the spring is to the side of the lockbar and places pressure on the press pin in the lock bar. This resides in a milled out portion of one side of the handle. I'm guessing this design saves a little space. The only thing I've seen similar in a Cold Steel is the assisted opening Swift but it has 2 prongs - 1 for the lockbar and 1 for the assist.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
That's odd. I think the spring configuration might be the way it is to accommodate the blade shape. There might have been an issue with the flared out gladius shape running into a normal spring fitted into a slot in the back spacer like the ones in their other models. I'm not exactly thrilled by the arrangement, given the issues with the first model Swifts, but the newer Swifts seem to be okay so far, so I think I'll just wait and see how it goes once there are more of these out there. Thanks for the pics.:thumbup:

Hmm, that setup is a little odd, only time will tell i guess. I hope the SR1 keeps the original design with the free floating spring in the slot.

interesting. thanks for sharing.

The spring looks a bit too thin for my liking, and I would want it to extend past the pin on the lock bar a bit more

not following? stop pin is always in the lock bar and blade rear cutout....isnt it? what am i missing? thanks.

not following? stop pin is always in the lock bar and blade rear cutout....isnt it? what am i missing? thanks.

Yes it is. Other than the cutout being much deeper than normal, nothing else is jumping out at me as an obvious flaw. I'm not sure what hermit is referring to.

Yes it is. Other than the cutout being much deeper than normal, nothing else is jumping out at me as an obvious flaw. I'm not sure what hermit is referring to.

yes Sir. im curious too what im missing......in holding pattern.......

Seems pretty close to the Swifts set up which has had a few problems. Hopefully they tested the crap out of the design and it's an non-issue.

Yes, the lock cut out is deeper, but the bottom of the upper part of the lock-bar will bottom on the radius of the blade heel long before the lug would ever bottom in the notch. It basically takes most of the Ad out of the Tri, and makes for unnecessary stock removal on the depth of the notch.

I did notice that, but been a while since I took a CS folder apart so couldn't remember if that was normal or not. I suppose you could argue that once the lock bar and blade heel meet, they will start to wear, so over time the lock will still work its way down into the notch. But if you use it that much, the blade would probably be sharpened down to nothing and you'd be replacing it before that would happen. Also surprised that the corners of the notch don't seem to be radiused.

That is a good point. It would be a LONG time before anything would bottom. My biggest gripe would be the over machining of the notch and (as you mentioned) the lack of radiused corners. The only documented failure of a Tri-Ad lock that I've found was this
056818ba.jpg

and it could be a counterfeit, as there are many fake Spartans out there.

I personally do not like this setup. I hope this is not something new that CS will start to use for new models, as imo it's a huge step back. The normal back spring has been working fine so why change it?

I'm the guy who first reported the broken spring issue for the Swift and I have had 2 more broken spring at the exact same spot. Sure they might have solved the tempering issues, but I can never trust the knife anymore, as it could potentially break at the worst time.

Seems pretty close to the Swifts set up which has had a few problems. Hopefully they tested the crap out of the design and it's an non-issue.

Cold Steel also said that they tested the crap out of their product when I first reported broken spring for the Swift model which uses the same setup, and they have had multiple reports of the same issue...

I'm not a fan of the stamped sheet metal spring either. I've always liked Cold Steel's folders, but some of their 2017's leave me cold. Why in the world would they not make the Frenzy with a straight edge?

Mee too, some 2017 products are weird but maybe they can get better with time. I liked some of them

ever bottom in the notch. It basically takes most of the Ad out of the Tri, and makes for unnecessary stock removal on the depth of the notch.
Yes, the lock cut out is deeper, but the bottom of the upper part of the lock-bar will bottom on the radius of the blade heel long before the lug would ever bottom in the notch. It basically takes most of the Ad out of the Tri, and makes for unnecessary stock removal on the depth of the notch.

This is to allow for the presence of pocket lint which can easily weaken or disable this kind of lock. Here the lint has a space to get squashed into and not impede the mechanism.

Gaston

Back