Cold Steel Knives In Combat

Great thread, as I always thought it was far too little appreciated how widely used Cold Steel knives were in actual military service. They are often derided as the proverbial Mall Ninja stuff, and I pointed out how the Cold Steel SRK was probably the most common quality factory knife a US soldier will carry. For the deeply hollow ground versions, a much better knife than the Kabar ever was imho...

I always loved Kraton handles, the only problem for me is that their better designed Kraton handles and blades have also kraton guards...

Gaston

My first deployment to Iraq i wanted to get a good pocket knife. . I had no clue what was good and being a PFC not really any money. . I picked up a Coldsteel Lawman from the PX and off i went. . I wasn't in the part of taking lives but more in the part of saving them. . I'm a blackhawk crew chief and at the time in a medivac company. . I used that thing for everything from opening oil cans, to cutting sealent, cutting clothes, and making all sorts if things.. That sucker make it all the way threw and at the time i didn't really know what i was doing when it can to sharpening, but it held an edge. . I would say it was the knife that got me into knives and the first one i i customized.. Sad to say we flew to another state and stayed the night and it got left in the hotel. . They may get a bad rap but they are tuff as nails!!

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk

...by writing books, talking about how badass they are?

That is a point of contention. At times though there's a critical story to be told that they're sole witness to.

Each book needs to be taken on it's on merits.

Sergeant Major "Good Deal" Billy Waugh was one of the true legends of SOG in Viet Nam. Among other things, he led their first HALO combat jump behind NVA lines.

Great thread, as I always thought it was far too little appreciated how widely used Cold Steel knives were in actual military service. They are often derided as the proverbial Mall Ninja stuff, and I pointed out how the Cold Steel SRK was probably the most common quality factory knife a US soldier will carry.

That's precisely how I felt, too. I get very tired of the "mall ninja" moniker anyway. (If soldiers and police are carrying United and Master knives, where do you get off labeling those brands "mall ninja" from the comfort of your couch?) But when the ill-informed cast that aspersion on Cold Steel, it's especially irksome because it's verifiably baseless, as this thread should demonstrate quite clearly. I knew from my own experiences that many soldiers carry Cold Steel knives, and not just to open MREs. As anyone can now see, there are some serious guys potentially staking their lives on Cold Steel.

My first deployment to Iraq i wanted to get a good pocket knife. . I had no clue what was good and being a PFC not really any money. . I picked up a Coldsteel Lawman from the PX and off i went. . I wasn't in the part of taking lives but more in the part of saving them. . I'm a blackhawk crew chief and at the time in a medivac company. . I used that thing for everything from opening oil cans, to cutting sealent, cutting clothes, and making all sorts if things.. That sucker make it all the way threw and at the time i didn't really know what i was doing when it can to sharpening, but it held an edge. . I would say it was the knife that got me into knives and the first one i i customized.. Sad to say we flew to another state and stayed the night and it got left in the hotel. . They may get a bad rap but they are tuff as nails!!

Believe it or not, you're the first one to mention carrying a Cold Steel folder! Honestly, I assumed that most of the stories would be about folders. blackhawkcowboy, what year did you buy your American Lawman from the PX? I ask because I haven't seen Cold Steel in PXs/BXs/MCXs in years (and I'm wondering why), and I don't recall ever seeing a Lawman in one.

-Steve

I wanted to point out one interesting thing that I discovered as I researched Special Operations efforts in Afghanistan. I found out that this gentleman, Special Forces trooper "Cowboy,"

IMG-0495.jpg

was also a member of ODA 961. That's MSG Smoot on the back of the truck observing the arrival of the helicopter in this photo.

IMG-0496.jpg

I only mention it because that means that there were at least two members of ODA 961 carrying Trail Masters on that historic foray into Afghanistan. It's pretty noteworthy (at least in my opinion) that Cold Steel was so well represented on America's opening salvos in her post-9/11 retaliation. As you may recall, lots of makers and companies sought an association with our military response, coming up with tough knife names like Rampage and Glory and AXE Hammer and Ranger Stealth Kill. But what did the first guys who crossed the ocean to take the fight to the enemy actually carry?

Cold Steel.

IMG-0524.jpg

-Steve

P.S. - This is the Cold Steel subforum, so I always want to keep my topics centered on the brand. But out of fairness, and so no one accuses me of being a Cold Steel "fanboy" (another loathsome, childish Blade Forums term!), I submit this picture.

IMG-4824.jpg

It looks like CRKT and Benchmade also had a presence. It also goes to show that UCPOPO's point back in post #6 was spot-on: Unless they're really into knives, most of the heavy hitters go with off-the-shelf bladeware.

Last edited:
Cold steel is VERY unappreciated in knife-savant circles.

I have also heard of Recon Scouts who have been given to units. As for the trailmaster, arguably one of the coolest modern knives ever made. No wonder SOF likes it.

Normally as you say soldiers are not into knives, and there are some that "like them" based on how "cool" they look to them, not in terms of material quality. That's why Cold Steel is perfect, because they're sharp, though and affordable.

Also there's a problem when carrying expensive knives on duty. Some times they can get lost, some times they are passed from hand to hand, never to return to yours, some times they get stolen on base and some times they get confiscated.

I love me some Busse, but I wouldnt carry it unles I have 100% certainty that I have the liberty to always keep it on my person without answering to anyone, which is something very few militarymen can do. I'd rather have 3 SRKs or 3 Voyagers. Same for outdoors activities. I love high end knives but I also love not having to worry about it's well being too much.

That's precisely how I felt, too. I get very tired of the "mall ninja" moniker anyway. (If soldiers and police are carrying United and Master knives, where do you get off labeling those brands "mall ninja" from the comfort of your couch?) But when the ill-informed cast that aspersion on Cold Steel, it's especially irksome because it's verifiably baseless, as this thread should demonstrate quite clearly. I knew from my own experiences that many soldiers carry Cold Steel knives, and not just to open MREs. As anyone can now see, there are some serious guys potentially staking their lives on Cold Steel.

Believe it or not, you're the first one to mention carrying a Cold Steel folder! Honestly, I assumed that most of the stories would be about folders. blackhawkcowboy, what year did you buy your American Lawman from the PX? I ask because I haven't seen Cold Steel in PXs/BXs/MCXs in years (and I'm wondering why), and I don't recall ever seeing a Lawman in one.

-Steve
I bought mine in 2009.. It was in the make shift px they had in Kuwait, about a week before we took off to the box. .

I haven't seen them in any either in a while... they mostly have gerber, ka bar, and leatherman.. they do have some cheaper ones hear and there. . I did see them carrying and Erikson (i believe is the name of the brand) but i don't know much about them. .

By the way a lot of the cold steel knives you see these operators caring probably came from the Px... Either that or they may have contacted Cold steel to get them, One of the great things about the military you can't bring your personal guns, but you have just about any edges weapon you want.

Last edited:
I haven't seen them in any either in a while... they mostly have gerber, ka bar, and leatherman.. they do have some cheaper ones hear and there. . I did see them carrying and Erikson (i believe is the name of the brand) but i don't know much about them. .

By the way a lot of the cold steel knives you see these operators caring probably came from the Px... Either that or they may have contacted Cold steel to get them, One of the great things about the military you can't bring your personal guns, but you have just about any edges weapon you want.

All i pictured was somebody in a foxhole with his grandad's double barrel:D This thread has actually gotten me interested in Cold steel. Ive always thought they looked cool and i knew they were sharp, but ive never bought one because of the labeling and what i think is just "excessiveness" in marketing that detracts from the way i feel about the product. This thread is making me see theres alot of substance behind it as well!

Can you at least bring your own optics? We never asked but some guys had their own Night vision since we weren't provided with any outside what our tanks were equipped with.

Some nice big private rifle scopes might improve things as well, especially at dawn.

I'd even get better body armor and boots nowadays though I couldn't have afforded them back when I was in the military.
Hack, I'd get everything better possible from shoe polish to the "camping equipment", socks and food.
Question is, would they let me :-D
Also I get how Ammo and Weapons should be interchangeable but everything else?

I bought mine in 2009.. It was in the make shift px they had in Kuwait, about a week before we took off to the box. .

CS, do you know why Cold Steel products have disappeared from the military exchange system? The demand definitely is there. Soldiers shopping for knives in the PX should have Cold Steel options available to them.

-Steve

When i lost my lawman. My buddy got me the newest version that didn't have the steel frame and a lot smoother action..

My buddy i were talking about the videos they put out and how over the top they can be.. it can give the appearance that they are gimmicky..

The Recon 1 that I gave to my nephew last week to mark the beginning of his service in the Army. Needless to say, this is one knife that I pray never sees use in combat!

IMG-4825.jpg

I truly could not think of a better everyday-carry folder for a soldier. I hope this one serves him well.

-Steve

Last edited:
Same SAS trooper, different day. Another shot of his Kobun.

IMG-0548.jpg

Same SEAL, different day. Another shot of his Spike.

IMG-0808.jpg

Is that the handle of a Recon Tanto I see behind his magazine carriers?

IMG-0807.jpg

Lighthearted display of his SRK.

IMG-0805.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
That Tanto with the brass furniture takes me back. When I first moved to the Boston area I worked at a knife shop, Cold Steel and Al Mar were the top end for what we sold at Fanueil Hall. One day, a professional sailor (not USN, Merchant Marine, or USCG) stopped by, and walked out with medium and large folders from both lines. The CS were San-Mai folding Tantos, and the Al Mars were folding SEREs. I remember brushing against one of the fixed-blade CS Tantos when reaching into the case. I didn't feel it cut, but I heard it...sort of like hearing a piece of silk tearing. My first lesson in sharp about 33 years ago.

Last edited:
Berzerker's post reminded me of another Cold Steel that I helped to put into active duty. About a dozen years ago, I gave my brother-in-law, who serves in the Coast Guard, one of these.

IMG-4826.gif

IMG-4827.gif

I figured that the sheepsfoot blade might benefit him in his shipboarding activities, and that the serrated edge would work well cutting wet and dirty rope. Had I known at the time how rare that blue-handled model would become, I might have held onto it and given him one of these more common models instead.

IMG-4828.jpg

Oh well, the blue handle is easier to spot and better suited to a Coast Guardsman anyway. Hopefully he's putting it to good use.

-Steve

Last edited:
I've been meaning to update this thread for some time now. A recent General Knife Discussion thread regarding military knife carry yielded some mentions of Cold Steel. I pulled out the relevant portions for inclusion here.

shinyedges;16341867 said:
Most soldiers buy knives in the PX, I carried a cold steel recon 1 with ultra lock. I was issued a Gerber multiplier 600.

Insipid Moniker;16342154 said:
Not military myself, but a close friend in the Navy carries a SOG Multiplier and a Cold Steel Talwar 4".

orca8589;16342844 said:
Here's a bit of a different perspective; I was on a navy aircraft carrier from 1985-89, and I knew several different groups of people who carried knives.

Our pilots: if I remember right, a pilot told me they all carried some kind of folder, something smaller that could be absolutely, positively secured to their personal gear - the last thing you need is something flying around the cockpit while you're practicing ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering.) Another aircrewmen in our helicopter squadron told me that many aircrewmen and pilots had the old Air Force Pilot's Survival Knife - and didn't like them at all. About the only way to carry one was under your arm on your gear harness, and they're not flat knives. (I was told later after I got out that the Cold Steel SRK had become very popular among aircrewmen.)

Fletcher.357;16344217 said:
I have a buddy that swears by the cold steel srk, a little bigger [than] I care for, but he has been carrying the same one for a decade.

GREENJACKET;16352782 said:
IMG-1221.jpg

My Cold Steel Master San Mai Tanto is an early one with brass fixings. For BG's they were the fashion for a good while. Tough tool, great urban sharp crow bar, but not much cope in the woods.

I also ran across a 2013 thread in The High Road forum that included a couple of interesting references to historical demand for Cold Steel within the military ranks.

From poster TimboKhan:

When I was in the USMC back in the early 90's, there was no combat knife more desired by the troops as a whole than the Cold Steel Tanto. Gerber had a great reputation back then, Kabars were obviously popular and I am sure I saw a Randall or two. That Cold Steel Tanto, however, was the object of lust for many a young 03XX. Now, thats just my recollection, but I distinctly remembering being frustrated by how consistently fast they sold out of them in the PX, which is why I never had one. That, and the fact that as I recall they were right around $100.00 bucks and I never could hold on to my cash that long back then. By comparison, I think I paid around 30 bucks for my Kabar.

I used a few, and to be honest, they felt nice, were lighter (or at least felt lighter) than a Kabar, and seemed to hold up to some ridiculous abuse pretty well. Say what you want, but at that time and with that group of guys, Cold Steel earned their respect the old fashioned way.

Response from poster ID-shooting:

"When I was in the USMC back in the early 90's, there was no combat knife more desired by the troops as a whole than the Cold Steel Tanto."

Such was the case on the Army side of things at the time, especially on Ft Riley with the Big Red One. The PX could not keep them [in] stock.

Also, I can't believe that I let this thread proceed this long without mentioning Cold Steel's production of sterile Recon Scouts for an unidentified military unit during Operation Desert Storm. Apparently it was the unit's reaction to the knives that incentivized Cold Steel to develop the production model. Thanks to forum members Mike Sastre and jlauffer for these photos.

IMG-4620.jpg

IMG-4618.jpg

IMG-4619.jpg

IMG-4621.jpg

IMG-4829.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
Back