Cold Steel Republic Fixed Blade Knife

I just stumbled on this knife at Knifecenter and decided to come looking in this forum for when it was released. I know someone mentioned it looked like an ESEE; but my first thought was Ontario RAT.

As it turns out, Ontario made at least their RAT 6 in S35VN, and this looks like a RAT 6 with some extra jimping and reshaping, which piques my curiosity about what's going on with the OKC factory.

I do think it looks more like an ESEE 6 though.

A an admitted fan boy of fixed blade field and bushcraft knives, as well as a Beckerhead, yes, the the knife looks like others - for good reason.

There are many shapes and features that can be designed into a knife, that being said, those who use their knives in the field for camping, hunting, wood processing, bushcraft, practicing survival skills and the like have learned that certain designs work better than others. Those designs do present themselves repeatedly by various manufacturers. For example, how many companies have made a Kephart knife? A Bowie? A skinner?

As for the finger choil, not really needed on light weight smaller fixed blades, say <4-inch; but once the weight gets out there further from your hand, even the best of handle designs and textures do not provide the precision, control and comfort of choking up. In this situation, a generous finger choil, to me, is a welcomed feature.

Seems nice. Better than some other stuff they have put out there lately. Still, for a few dollars more (or less) there is Busse and Kin which is USA made, great warranty and very well made.

I did kind of roll my eyes at the price point of this knife but, S35VN, Micarta handle slabs, leather sheath - it all starts to add up.

Then again, Cold Steel is not paying a vig/royalty to a named designer or tribute group so that leaves their margin.

In all, it's a knice knife and one that I would likely enjoy other than that I already own too many similar knives, albeit oflesser steel(s), but they do me just fine.

Back