Collecting Case knives - do they appreciate

I see a fair amount of discussion about collecting knives on the Case web site. My question is, does a $50 or $60 dollar Case knife appreciate very much? Also what is the time frame to hold a knife to see any appreciation?

I believe that sentimental value appreciates at a rate of 7.5% quarterly. ;) :) :D

I see a fair amount of discussion about collecting knives on the Case web site. My question is, does a $50 or $60 dollar Case knife appreciate very much? Also what is the time frame to hold a knife to see any appreciation?

You should buy knives because you like them. If they don't go up in value then you are mad at them. If you like them then you still like them if they don't make any money.

Trying to say this as simply as possible...

There are several factors in how fast anything will appreciate in value. Rarity and condition are two prime factors but perhaps even more is desirability. You could have an object that is one of a kind in perfect condition but if no one wants it it has no value.

You are talking about Case knives in this thread so let me use a few examples. The Case knives that are being sold for $50 to $60 are made in huge numbers, this cuts back on the rarity of the knife. You can keep it NIB but so will a lot of other people who collect Case knives so not to many people want one, this cuts desirability. As a result the value increases very slowly, I would say for one of these common Cases it's value will only increase at the same rate as the retail price for a new knife from year to year.

Now if you had bought a Tony Bose Case things change. These are made in far smaller numbers thus increasing it's rarity. From just this forum you can see they are very desirable and keeping on NIB is no trick...just don't use it. This knife will increase in value at a faster rate than the $50 Case.

Some knives jump in value when the are discontinued but this is not a sure thing either, sometimes being discontinued makes the knife drop in value. I don't expect to ever see my collection going up in value faster than inflation, at best they are a long term investment...I would say on the lines of 30 to 50 years before the appreciate greatly. Of course sometime you get surprised when you buy just the right knife but that doesn't happen very often and almost never with a $50 knife. If my collection is kept together and keep in good condition I think my great grand kids might be happy but I will never see it.

Buy knives because you like them, care for them keeping them free from rust and harm, feed them with mineral oil, give them pet names....but don't expect them to make you rich...lol. If you want knives that will quickly rise in value plan on spending 10 times as much or more than you will on that $50 Case. Knifes and guns are about the worst investment there are for short term gains but there is a chance you can make someone happy three generations from

Good post,the locals in my area that buy case knives very seldom pack em :rolleyes:, they are safe queens it seems you can always score your money back with the knives, also they don't trade like they use to,the old mint knives from the 70's down are fetching top dollar..

if you spend that $50 or $60 on a nice mint case knife it will very surely appreciate,the problem is that most new case knives take time to gain value,with some exceptions.

If you pay $50 (full retail) for a general production Case knife; it will be a long time to break even and slow growth afterwords. If you pay $50 for a $75 short run knife, you have instantly made 50% and growth will start immediately.

Like any good hobby, it takes time and money to get yourself educated enough to move against the flow. Doing (buying) the same knives at the same time as everyone else is a surefire way to negate growth possibilities.

A couple examples. Case had Boker make some larger lockbacks and fixed blades for them back on 2001. The collecting community threw a fit at a German made Case knife and sales were dismal; thus the partnership broke up quickly. The knives started at $55 and seemed high at the time, but now are all going north of $150; some up to $300.

Case decided to make the "Limited Edition" series of knives which have become very popular with collectors. The only problem is that they make 3000 of each pattern each year; which make the LtdEdition knives about the largest production runs of the year... But the first year they made them (1995), they put a bar shield in them but no etching etc. These first year knives have went up 300% since 1995 due to everyone needing to finish out their LtdEdition collections.

The moral to the story is.... 1) Don't buy knives full retail if you are looking for growth potential in the near future. 2) Don't buy the full run general production knives. 3) Move against the herd.

Mike Latham
CollectorKnives.Net

You should buy knives because you like them. If they don't go up in value then you are mad at them. If you like them then you still like them if they don't make any money.

probably the best piece of advice one could give or get:thumbup:
exactly why i have a box full of less than mint well loved slipjoints:D
value of collection...minimal
sentimental value...priceless
ivan

As others have mentioned, buy them because ya like em...
If for some reason they do happen to go up, then that is a bonus.
The people that made money on a lot of things, bought them before they became popular. The same thing happened with guns.
I used to be able to pick up nice older Winchesters for 100-200 dollars.
Those days are gone..... Problem is, everyone that has one thinks they are worth1,000.00 even if they are junk..

Buy what ya like, enjoy it.. Life is short.

Yep--my knives go up in value every day. My value.

Buying knives with a hope they'll go up in value is fine. Buying knives as part of an "investment" portfolio, however, makes about as much sense as running with scissors.

Thank you all for your replies.

Here is the reason I asked this question. I recieved a Case Bluegrass whittler and a Jade Seahorse whittler for X-mass. Both are so beautiful I do not want to sharpen or whittle with them. I am thinking of buying a second set to whittle with and save the ones i got for x-mass to start a collection.
From your replies it would seem that collecting these knives is for fun and love of the knife and not for monitary gain.

I recieved a Case Bluegrass whittler and a Jade Seahorse whittler for X-mass. Both are so beautiful I do not want to sharpen or whittle with them. I am thinking of buying a second set to whittle with and save the ones i got for x-mass to start a collection.

This is just my opinion, so don't be offended:

If you like to whittle...well, if I were you, I'd use 'em both. I buy knives to use, period. I love Case, but I ignore probably 75% of what they make. This is the second year I carved ornaments for the Christmas tree, and the first year I used the Seahorse, and it worked beautifully. (Neither of those two look like they'll ever be be "rare", IMHO.)

Depending on who gave those knives to you, maybe carve something for them; do something simple & special that shows them you appreciate & use what they gave you. Look at the bright side - they could have given you socks or a tie... :D

thx - cpr

I have three Chris Reeve folders, and was afraid to carry them. Since I started carrying them, occassionally, I have had nothing but love for them. They will not command full retail, but they are not going anywhere.

Also, an old Kutmaster that I paid ten bucks for, and may be worth only 5 bucks now, is one of my favorite users. The former owner used it hard, it sat in a drawer at a flea market for God knows how long. Monetary value and character are two different things.

thanks again for all the good advice.

I have made my decision. I am putting the new Case Bluegrass and the Jade Seahorse on the Lansky for a good sharpening, 17 deg per side. Then I am going to use them to whittle something for my wife, who bought me the knives. Maybe two hearts connected. The heck with collecting, I buy knives because I like to use them.

Wow, I feel a lot better now.

Thanks guys

Here is the reason I asked this question. I recieved a Case Bluegrass whittler and a Jade Seahorse whittler for X-mass.
If you received them for free, then I predict with 100% certainty that yes, you can sell them at a profit now or in the future. :D

I am thinking of buying a second set to whittle with and save the ones i got for x-mass to start a collection.
That's what I would do.

it would seem that collecting these knives is for fun and love of the knife and not for monetary gain.
Absolutely correct.

Back