combat knife throwing... I'm not kidding you

If you throw and release correctly, no-spin, has amazing power. Watch ralph thorn, adam celadin, or tom tom (samoth chipmah) on youtube, their no-spin throws are extremely powerful.
Watch near the end of this video . Fedin's daughter Olga shows her stuff . This is very good for true combat throwing because there is very little "wind up" or telegraphing to warn the enemy to block or dodge . It's heavy going to understand, but early in the video Yuri Fedin tries to explain his style and where the power comes from .

Last edited:
Roman plumbus and pillum
Indian Chakram
Ninja shaken and tonki
Frankish throwing axe
Chinese shaken, darning needles, bamboo leaves

When my son was in middle school, I bought him a Cold Steel tomahawk for his birthday. His other present was a four foot diameter slab of Silver Maple, which made his summer. He threw and threw and threw some more until he could stick most anything right or left handed. His most impressive trick was throwing a knife and tomahawk at the same time and sticking them both. However, the thing he threw that looked like it would be the most lethal was a Cold Steel Kukri machete. It would stick VERY deep with an ominous quiver. It got pretty beat up that summer, but I really think that would fatal to a person on the receiving end with most throws. I don't know if anything else my son threw would reach the vitals more often than not.

A longggg time ago, at Fort Drum, N.Y., during our two weeks annual training, I had a 18" Ontarion machete, my own, which I brought to summert camp.Big old pine trees were bin the area of the Barracks. I would throw the machete at the tree, sometimes it would stick in. Most times it would bounce off, the same with the jet pilots knife we were issued .( alot of bent blades on those) Try to explain to the Supply Sgt. why you needed a new knife, and why was the turn in was bent?.ANTWAY, I found I could stick my machete in the tree more frequently, by measuring from the tree to my throwing point, by the number of times the blade turned end over end. I would then draw a line with my boot, and stand behind that line.
I impressed some of the troops that passed through our area. They wanted to try throwing, and I let them. I did'nt tell them the trick of it. They failed to stick the machete in the tree.Of course that plastic handle broke. At home, I fabracated one handle out of 1/2inch alum.too heavy)I then fabracted a handle for another machete ouut of 1/2 inch micarda. That worked out fine.

You wouldn't happen to be on Zombie Squad, would you? A bloke there said damn near the same thing, I think in the "My Job, My Hell" thread.

Someone a lot more talented than me could probably make it work. Personally, I can get a throwing knife to stick to plywood a third of the time if I'm lucky. Knives aren't that effective of a weapon unless you REALLY know what you're doing. And if you kill them, it won't be instant. They'll just slowly leak to death. I'd rather just carry and train with a concealed firearm. Just make sure you can put your entire magazine center mass from 25 yards away. That way if I ever need a weapon for "combat" I'm more likely to walk out alive. Plus, I'm simply not going to throw a folding knife. And if I happen to have a fixed blade, I don't like the prospect of literally throwing away a close quarters option. With how rarely people encounter real life or death danger, my advice would be to get out before trouble kicked off. Watch the people around you. If someone looks like they're about to start trouble, pack up and go literally anywhere else. Especially because even if I come out on top of that fight to the death, I don't want to be the guy holding a weapon when police show up

Last edited:
I just read an interesting thread and thought I'd follow it up with this one.

I have studied "no spin" knife throwing for several years and, while I'm not excellent at it, I must say it has imparted a few nuggets of wisdom. For one, I don't carry a gun, and second I don't carry throwing knives. But I am learning (and teaching, whenever I hold a "class") to use objects around me as missiles whenever the need arises. Whatever I can pick up and throw works.

I had a teacher who, when we trained in the desert, would throw sand at us whenever he'd get low enough to grab some. Heaven forbid he got lucky and grabbed a rock instead. It was inevitable that he'd do this if he had the chance, because he didn't have a reason not to - if it didn't buy him an advantage at least it didn't slow him down. And he learned how to do this from his teacher, who made him throw spikes for hours on end. To him, shurikenjutsu used specific tools (knives and spikes mostly) to teach distance control, timing, and how to combine combat movement with evasion and advancement.

So here's why I started this thread... I want to know your opinions on "combat throwing," whether it's a knife or a screwdriver or a coffee mug. Have you ever thrown something at someone as a distraction or simply on impulse only to find that you gained a usable advantage by doing so? And what objects would you want to have handy in case you wanted to throw something deliberately? Please, no "I'd just pull out my Desert Eagle" comments, because that isn't the point at hand.

I throw folders sometimes and I have better luck w the no spin. I use the rothorn technique. I don’t want my throws to be to powerful or I will break the knife.

I've never seen "no spin" knife throwing with power. It might work with a knife if everything goes just right, but I don't see it working with improvised objects. There just isn't enough power to cause real damage. If you spin throw an improvised object it can cause damage without a "stick." You can spin throw a lot of objects at 90mph. If it hits right you have extra power imparted by the spin and a possible stab. Even if it doesn't hit right, you have impact damage because of the power behind it.

Intresting thread, just came across it. An article about Grey (Skeeter) Otter appeared in Blade magazine, but this is the gest of it.

http://paladinplanet.blogspot.com/2011/06/greatest-combat-knife-throw-on-record.html

There is also a youtube video of a guy throwing needles through glass and a guy (maybe same guy don not remember) throwing playing cards to cut cucumbers in half. If he added some tomatoes I'd have a nice salad.
I can throw cards but not that good!!! My max distance was 70 feet

I’m not the best and I wanna throw like Adam celidin! Great utuber
I throw at close range and mass is vital for combative effect , in my experience . Throwing a card is just completely mind blowing to me . Respect ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

For knives I only throw folders but when I get a camp knife I’ll up my range from 4 yards to hopefully 10 yds. As for card throwing the most it would do is distract unless I had a chipped credit card!

For knives I only throw folders but when I get a camp knife I’ll up my range from 4 yards to hopefully 10 yds. As for card throwing the most it would do is distract unless I had a chipped credit card!
That's actually VERY funny ! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back