Coming soon... A Swiss Army Knife without a blade (seen in the news today)

I might get one for flying/traveling to New York City. I always prefer to have a blade, but there are places I go where they just aren't allowed.
Yeah, that's what I found somewhat interesting. I'm sure there's a niche for this. I recently had a family member in the hospital ER and had to surrender my Alox SAK to security as I went in. To their credit, they put it into a sealed envelope with a receipt, which I used later to get it back as I was leaving. That part surprised me, that I was actually able to get it back.

I'm looking forward to the bladeless companions. I like to backpack with a swiss army knife for their tools, but I never need the pen blade when backpacking. My fixed blade does all of the cutting I need. Being able to drop the weight I carry by an oz or two is a bonus.

No good. šŸ¤Ø
The airlines/TSA (last time I flew in 2016, anyway) (and Grayhound, last time I rid their bus, the same year) did not allow pliers based multi-tools, or even a CRKT Guppie with no blade šŸ¤¬ or any tools for that matter.
They are "afraid" someone will try to disassemble the aircraft or bus. šŸ¤ØšŸ™„
I've flown with a Leatherman Style PS a number of times with zero trouble. TSA usually checks that it's the model without a blade, then lets it through, no problem. One time they didn't even do that and I asked the screener about it - he told me they saw when it went through the machine that there was no blade. This is as early as 2012 or so (didn't have the Style before that) and as recently as last December.

I like the idea of a bladeless SAK - I'm going to carry a separate knife anyway when I can have a knife, and it's nice to have a set of tools even when I can't have a knife.

I am pretty sure I could have gotten away with trauma shears. Which would have handled all the cutting tasks I would have needed on a plane.

I said it the The Ziegā€™s thread, but Iā€™m for it. They identified a possible consumer base, and theyā€™re tailoring the product to them.

I bought my 3 year old a Jetsetter so he could be just like Dad and have a ā€œknifeā€ he could use all on his own. Heā€™s 6 now, but that kid probably made thousands of ā€œsnow flakesā€ with the 58mm scissors.

Iā€™ll probably buy a couple, depending on what they offer.

I think it makes sense for Victorinox to offer alternatives for places where knives just simply arenā€™t an option.
I would not take any kind of multitool to airplane as screwdrivers are often forbidden.
Funny that lighters are okay though.

Back