Coming up next: Two Ouparators

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
Well, next on the bench is an order from a fine young man. He wants a G10 Ouparator XL in teal G10 and bead blasted Ti in .100 thicknesss. Blade is ordered with a choil, for choking up on the blade for better control and safety to put the index finger in front of the pivot during detail work with the tip and one of my cryo treated 440C stainless blades.
Anyway, that will get started here soon now that I'm up to the next in line.

With one of signiture low rider pocket clips and if I have my way it will sweet sweet sweet when I'm done with it! :thumbup: Stay tuned and thanks for watching. I've got two orders here for the same knife by two different guys. I'll start a new thread for the second one when I get it started.

STR:

Well, next on the bench is two orders from two fine young men who each just happen to want one of my Ouparator folders. Somehow they both came from different places in the country unknown to each other and yet orderd the exact same package. I'll more than likely do these side by side so may as well do them in one thread huh?

Anyway, that will get started here soon now that I'm up to the next in line.

Both of these will be .100 thick frame locks with one side G10, both sporting one of my signiture low rider pocket clips and if I have my way. Sweet sweet sweet! :thumbup: Stay tuned and thanks for watching.

STR:

ooh, ooh, please say one is mine Steve! Say it's so!

:)
Brett

Yes I got your email. So one of them is for sure yours Brett. ;)

Stay tuned. I've already traced them out on the titanium. Will pull out the G10 and trace those patterns out tomorrow and I'm sure cut all those blanks out afterwards.

I've had the blades made ready to use for a couple of years sitting in my safe so all I have to do is unwrap those and refine the shape for the contact area and install the thumb studs once made. I had 20 of those at one time. But now I'm down to 7 left. 5 after these two are finished. After that depending on how much heat treat costs have changed my prices may have to go up a bit. We'll see.

STR

Sweet! I get to see them coming together! I hope to secure the money to get one for myself soon. As soon as I sell 1 knife I will have the $ to do it. Brett you are a lucky guy! I hear only good things about STR, and his work!

Sweet! I get to see them coming together! I hope to secure the money to get one for myself soon. As soon as I sell 1 knife I will have the $ to do it. Brett you are a lucky guy! I hear only good things about STR, and his work!

Yeah, I am really impressed with all the comments I hear about STR. Even on other forums, there is a general consensus that STR is the go-to-guy for mods and great folders.

I will post some pics as soon as I get it.

Take care,
Brett

Ok the Ouparators are underway.

Sorry for the smudges, and the missed line. My original Ouparator pattern I have in a cut out of thin titanium is shorter and I always forget I increased the length of the handle so that is the messed up line there.

Anyway, other than that we are on our way. Hopefully that will be the last err in judgement. :eek:

STR

Ok the Ouparators are underway.

Sorry for the smudges, and the missed line. My original Ouparator pattern I have in a cut out of thin titanium is shorter and I always forget I increased the length of the handle so that is the messed up line there.

Anyway, other than that we are on our way. Hopefully that will be the last err in judgement. :eek:

STR

Oh man, that looks awesome. Nice start!

B

Got a good start on both of these but the thicker model I make gets a 3/16" pivot and wouldn't ya know that I'm out of the ones I need. So I have to place a call to Jantz Supply on Tuesday since it is a holiday weekend to get any farther on these.

In the mean time I've started on another project.

Thanks

STR

What's the next project Steve?

Any chance you go to KGA events here in OK? There is a shop tour next saturday and I think I might go.

The show Saturday was pretty good. Met Brion, Joe Wilkie, Mike Miller, etc. Good times.

Brett

Ray Kirk invited me to that but I have company coming so will be tied up.

STR

Oh and I stuck a flat ground 1095 blade I just made in one of my folders just for fun. This one is nice and thin too.

STR

So, I gotta ask Steve: any chance of getting that new improved clip on these ouparators?

Couldn't resist. Really looks sharp man.

Take care,
Brett:foot:

Oh that should be an easy fix up yes.

I will make a good bit of progress on your folder tomorrow I'm sure.

STR

Steve i read about how you have a limited number of blades for your ouparators. any chance any of them could be modified and made into a lefty model?

No problem because I didn't finish the contacts before I sent them in for hardening. I do that as one of the last steps and actually I have to do some finish grinding to them before they are mounted because when I get them back they are still pretty course. I used a different belt on these so the new ones in the future may look a bit different since I've switched to the Trizac belts which I am really liking by the way. I know that probably means little to anyone of the non makers but its a neat belt that lasts forever. Had I known I'd have never bought so many. My god I have a life time supply out there! :D

Live and learn.

STR

Got it and just replied.

Thanks.

STR

Well Brett I didn't get as much done on this as I'd have hoped but company arrived and we got tied up a while. So anyway, its still moving in the right direction. Shouldn't be long once I get a good day out there now. I just need to do the blade up tomorrow like I need it and then mark the lock cuts and cut it out and we'll be on the down side heading for the finish line on yours in no time here.

The pivot barrels are here and I'll be doing the next steps hopefully tomorrow.
The holes are drilled out in the two sides and thats it for now.

STR

Back