Comment/Critizism of Ladybug

calyth

#!/bin/sh of a man
I just got a Ladybug in a very good price.
My feeling is neutral.
The blade is very sharp, nicely ground. Perfectly done. It slices through cardboard like nothing, just like my VG10 FRN Endura.
The critizism is on the FRN handle.
The handle still have small bits from the molding process; however, it was quite easily remove. The main gripe is that there's not enough FRN removed in the handle for the blade. There are marks that the blade dug into the FRN near the tip when it was closed. Of course, AUS6 is kinda soft and if I close the blade quickly, it looks like the edge is slightly impacted.
Still, the ladybug is an excellent piece that's great. Great for the situations where I might see overly-sensitive people.
Sal: you might want to check out the FRN handles for the ladybugs.

I've had my LadyBug well over a year. I don't see any contact between blade and handle. Mine has resided on my keychain. Only once has she "done wrong," and that was when she came open in my pocket and bit me! (There were also A LOT of keys in my pocket which must have persuaded her to open up.)

I was wondering what kind of steel is used in Ladybugs--AUS-6, I guess. Is the same steel used in the CF Ladybug?

Karl

Well I closed it a couple of times and I already saw that it dug in at parts of the FRN handle (near the tip when it closes).
It wasn't so before I closed it a couple of times.
Still it's crazy sharp.

Hi Calyth. The Ladybug has been an excellent performer, with no changes, for the past 10 years. Quite a track record, and it's still popular. It has been copied by many companies and the copies sell for $2.00 - 3.00. Lord knows how many they sell, they're in every gas station.

The Jester is an "upgraded" design, with 10 more years in design experience.

We still use AUS-6. I don't think the FRN will do much to the steel. A Jester (or Ladybug) has most of the same labor costs as making an Endura, yes, they are less expensive, not not as much as you think, or we'd like. If we raise the steel quality to please the few (you and me), then the price is too high for the "average" customer, even one that likes Spyderco. The upgraded Micarta version, which is quite a beautiful piece, is still a slow seller becauase of the high price. Even though it was a limited run. They should be all gone before the end of the year.

We try to provide the best "bang for the buck" in some of our models. because that is what our ELUs want us to do. Not enough aficianados out there to support the cost of making a run of Jesters (or Ladybugs) in S30V, with CF or Ti handles. (even though I would love one.)

hope that helps with some of the understanding.

sal

Oh heck no, AUS6 is the least of my problems.
It's excellent that Spyderco can get it to perform close to what an VG10 can do. In fact, I mentioned the Aus6 in the first place for the praise of how well it's done.
Sure enough, the blade doesn't take too much of a damage from the FRN, but I tried it a couple of times but the blade still have a very tiny impact spot at the same place. My concern is much more at how the FRN was shaped.
I have the Endura (actually it's somewhere in the mail system), and I love it. I have other knifes with AUS6 & FRN (read: CRKT KFF & Urban Shark & M16) and I really don't have a problem with them. I just found it strange that the blade does strike the FRN when closed.
In any case, I'm keeping this. I like the fact that the handle is not black and the blade is easy to touch up. I only wanted to bring the shape of the handle (precisely, shape where the blade is stored when closed) to your attention.
The fact that ladybug costs as much as the Endura for spyderco is surprising.:eek:
We try to provide the best "bang for the buck" in some of our models. because that is what our ELUs want us to do. Not enough aficianados out there to support the cost of making a run of Jesters (or Ladybugs) in S30V, with CF or Ti handles. (even though I would love one.)
If I have the cash, I'd have bought the whole line of Spyderco and any variations of it. Too bad I'm a student and not working in a knife store like jjcoolay ;)

Student is good. Improvement is your evolutionary obligation to humankind. Learn the good that exists in Spyderco design and products, buy knives later, when you have the bucks.

thanx for the input on the FRN handle.

sal

Oh for those who still may be skeptical about AUS 6, ask my 3mm cut on my right middle finger about how sharp it can get.:eek:

i think aus6 is perfectly fine for a knife like the ladybug but then im personally not into such small knives myself. but nevertheless if i was in the market for something like the ladybug it'd be a jester!

IMHO, the Ladybug is good...but the Jester is better.:D ;) :D

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and the grip is phenomenal on this little Spydie. I've handled the Ladybug in store, but the ergonomics, and textured spine, on the Jester surpass the Ladybug by leaps and bounds.

BUT, on another note, it's not wise to pass up on a Spydie that has a reasonable price. They can be addicting you know... ;)

I saw the Jester at a local gun show and think it's a great design, but I don't want to replace my red Ladybug on my keyring. I like the Ladybug, have 3 of them...one Ladybug II, a black Ladybug, and the red Ladybug I carry daily on my keys.

I've been carrying this red Ladybug for a long time with no problems. Mine doesn't contact the FRN, so maybe the molding or the fit on yours was a little off? I thought the regular Ladybugs used AUS-8 and the Ladybug II used AUS-6? At least it said so in the 2001 catalog. I've had no real rust problems on this knife. If I get a slight spotting on the blade, I use my thumbnail to scratch it off easily, which doesn't happen very often at all.
Jim

It says AUS6 on my 2002 catalog.
I had it rusted probably because it was a hot day and it got some sweat on it because only one side rusted. It's all clean off so there's no more problems.

Calyth, The Ladybug is a great little knife, I purchased one for my daughter. When the Jester came out I got one for my wife and one for me. I rather the Jester even though both are essentially the same size. I think the Jester is a better overall knife as the point is broader and will withstand more tork than the thin point of the Jester. May not be a issue for you. My Jester found it's way to my son's keychain and now I have to decide if I want another Lime Jester or one of the micarda (sp?).

None of mine had any problems with the blade rubbing on the FRN.

Well it's a great knife, and I must admit, because it's on my keychain, I often take the keys out just to play with the Ladybug ;)

Back