Confession: "I have never owned a Delica"

Lenny

Gold Member
There, it's out!
I'm ashamed.
Yes, I will rectify this grave error soon.
But, there are so many different variants of Delica.
I only want to do this once and want to buy the absolute best version I can.
Clearly, it needs to hold an edge forever, yet be easy enough to resharpen on a fixed angle system.
I'm not too concerned about weight; I'd rather have a version with a nice solid handle.
What do you all recommend?
Thank you

I have a Delica 4, the Gray-Blue Zome Super Blue Black Blade Sprint Run version. It's a very nice knife. But, then I found that K390 wharnies are really nice, too. So, now I have two Delicas. 😂

Even with 30+ Spyderco, all of the others are different models. The Delica is the first model where I have more than one. As for recommendations, I recommend more than one. 😂

If you have other Spyderco, maybe there is a preference toward blade shapes, blade steels, PE vs SE. If you're around the water, a similar handled Salt may be better than the normal model. My collection grew because i wanted to experience the variety of Spyderco. Maybe you want a repeat of some feature you like in a different model. Or, maybe you want to try something new. You will need to determine which factors are important to you. Though my situation didn't allow it, if you can, visit a store and check some in hand. Maybe one will speak to you more than the others. As for best version, that may depend on your circumstances. And, if your circumstances change, what is best may change also. But, if that does happens, you will have more knowledge about what works or doesn't work for you. It will let you fine tune future selections. So, don't worry too much about being best forever, just best for now (maybe). You won't know for sure until you've used it a bit. Looking and feeling great on a table as in a YT review can be different than when you're cutting on something in real usage. Me cutting cardboard and opening boxes may be different than you cutting rope or some other material. Similarly, you using it for hard work every day on a job is different than an EDC carry that gets used once a week (or less). Factoring in how you will use it can help with getting a recommendation to match that usage.

I've never owned a Delica either.

In terms of size, it is a choice between the Delica, Sage, Chaparral & Native. At 1st glance, they seem pretty much alike but, of course, they aren't.

I chose the Native over the others as my favorite in this size category.

Here is a comparison photo of those: 2 Delica 4, Sage 5, Native 5 Salt/Magnacut, Chaparral, and Lil' Native. Of these, the Chap is my favorite and the Native 5 is in my top 5 Spyderco.
53496928260_4e49b9bfa4_b.jpg

10-15 years ago Delica's were top shelf every day carry.

As the knife world has evolved I can see why some people never jumped on the FRN bandwagon but they do make it in sprint runs and you can still get them in steel handles and wood which are pretty sweet.

They even did some in jigged bone which I wish I would have snagged a few of those.

From what you posted I don't think anything else than the k390 version would do. I been beating on mine pretty hard and it's held up like a champ. Very impressed so far.

I also find k390 corrosion resistance a non issue personally. So don't be disuaded by it not being stainless

I have a couple Decicas, I might grab one to work in the yard/garden/basement. I never choose one for edc as I don’t like the IMO, thin cheap flexing feel, compared to other materials. Keep in mind that I don’t care about weight and I didn’t like Spyderco removing liners from some knives either. For instance, I feel the native 5 was much more premium with the liners. I know thick G10 may be strong enough but it’s just not as nice IMO.

xyU52Zm.jpg

Love a Delica, I have 3 different ones. If you don’t like the frn you can always go aftermarket and go with micarta.
I carry it edc sometimes, my range can be a tuff to a dragonfly so that’s personal.

I've had 6 Delicas I still own 3, I don't carry any of them. They are a good knife don't get me wrong but in that size I'll take the native 5 every time. The S110 Blurple is very nice. My S30 frn is not as smooth being frn and is more like a delica but heavier duty.

Where'd you get the deep carry clips? Do you like them? Does it make it harder to pull out of your pocket quickly?
Lynch or mxg gear
I use both depending on the knife
Won't pocket a knife without a deep carry clip
Not any more difficult to draw from the pocket than a regular clip

Back