Considering a Rat 7 over an ESEE.

Hey guys.

This isn't just another annoying "Rat vs ESEE" dead horse. I'm fully aware how annoying that is. (ya, been around BF awhile lol). That said, I am in search for a good all around fixed blade for camping, bushcraft, potential bug out, etc. Basically a jack of all trades, master of none, best balance kind of tool.

Per my criteria, I've been planning an ESEE 6 for years now, and have done my research. The general consensus is the ESEE is nicer F&F, more comfortable handles, nicer sheath, and better warranty. In addition, everyone raves about Rowens heat treat.

However, as cost is a factor, and I actually like the nylon sheath, I'm leaning heavily towards the Rat instead. I'm not expecting to break my blade in any stupid manner, as I use my knives within reasonable parameters. But I do use them hard, and would at least like to know I can depend on the warranty IF I got a defect.

If the handles bug me, I can sand em, and F&F is not a factor on a user. And as far as the difference in HT between the 2 companies, I highly suspect the worship for Rowen comes more from Kool-aid than actual perceiveable differences. Pretty sure Ontario knows how to treat 1095.

So, I came here to get opinions from what seems to be the small minority of the 2 sides.

I know I'm in biased territory. So if you guys wouldn't mind sharing your uses, stories, and testimonies on your Rat fixed blades, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm especially Interested in the Rat 7, being the closest thing to my intended ESEE 6.

What are your thoughts on the sheaths?

Warranty experiences?

Any direct steel comparison between both companies under real world use?

I guess I'm simply looking for confirmation of what I already suspect: that the extra cost of the ESEE isn't gonna buy me anything the Rat won't provide.

Hope I'm right.

Thanks!

I own an ESEE 6 but have never handled a Rat 7; I do however, think you would be happy with either. The blades are very similar looking at the specs.

If you don't care about the warranty, I say go for it. I don't think you would regret a purchase of either one.

I don't have those but I do have an Ontario RD9. Also a TOPS steel eagle. Which are probably comparable knives. I think your suspicion is right that the extra cost for an ESEE doesn't really add a whole lot more. I'm sure the ESEE will have better fit and finish and all that but I figure the heat treat will be similar. I do occasionally hear about a botched heat treat in an Ontario knife. And maybe ESEE has better quality control in that respect. But once your Ontario knife passes a hard chopping test and a baton test, then you know it's okay. And if it does break, Ontario does have excellent customer service. They'll replace a defective knife. IMO if I'm going to pay ESEE kind of money, I think I'd rather get a TOPS. Otherwise, I'd just take the Ontario.

I opted for a RD7 over a Rat7, due to mainly the RD7 is 1/4" 5160 and I use my knives absurdly hard at times. But you have to look to find them now. The handle is shorter than the RAT7. And for a big flat grind I got the RD9, for the same reason over the RTAK II. I got them for general purpose jack of all trade woods blades, really don't favor flat grinds but for their expected tasks they work. For heavy general use I find I prefer saber grinds, I first got a RD Tanto "Just because" and found its a good sort of saber type grind and is a decent, not the uber best of the best, general purpose great whacker and short chopper blade. I got another one instead of a BK2, yes again because of the 5160 steel. All the RD Ranger 6-9 I got also have good smaller wood bushy craft capabilities due to the choil and such. But the handle is to "Short" for some people. Me I got what works decent to great at the really good price point that OKC gives to the public, and their warranty. My heavy woods knives are SP-51s and SP-53 (Had another SP-53 but my sister snatched it ) and SP-10 if that's all I got. My only complaint about the SP-10,51,53 is no thumping and wumping hilts, hence me getting an RD9, it works.

One other contender you might want to look at is the RD6 for a runner up. Does every thing my RD7 does, just a bit shorter. I got RD6s when they were put on ridiculous sales for around $50ish or so. Or the low prices Amazon does to keep people cruising their sites for deals like that.

But go with what works best for you, if its going to be your main dedicated work/survival/get you out of heck knife, get what you feel most comfortable with.

I don't have those but I do have an Ontario RD9. Also a TOPS steel eagle. Which are probably comparable knives. I think your suspicion is right that the extra cost for an ESEE doesn't really add a whole lot more. I'm sure the ESEE will have better fit and finish and all that but I figure the heat treat will be similar. I do occasionally hear about a botched heat treat in an Ontario knife. And maybe ESEE has better quality control in that respect. But once your Ontario knife passes a hard chopping test and a baton test, then you know it's okay. And if it does break, Ontario does have excellent customer service. They'll replace a defective knife. IMO if I'm going to pay ESEE kind of money, I think I'd rather get a TOPS. Otherwise, I'd just take the Ontario.

Not to derail my own topic, but out of curiosity, why TOPS?

I was just saying if paying ESEE kind of money for a 7 inch blade, I'd rather get the TOPS steel eagle. Good hard use knife with good heat treat. Very comfortable handle and good balance, although heavy. I think the prices are in a similar range. Guess it depends on whether you like their style. But nothing wrong with Ontario if you want to save some dough.

Cool. I just asked because my eye hasn't been caught by anything they offer yet. Different kinda design.

Thx.

Back