Convexing an edge

So I've been wanting to try out the mousepad and sandpaper method for convexing an edge for some time now, but for the life of me I cannot find a mousepad anywhere. What can I use in place of one?

you dont have one for your mouse? anything with some give but still slightly firm. try a phone book with the outer cover removed.

A piece of leather will work. You can lay the sandpaper over your strop, resting on a hard surface.

A piece of leather will work. You can lay the sandpaper over your strop, resting on a hard surface.

I always use leather, less give than the mousepad, more consistant results.

Some people use a thick magazine.....

So I've been wanting to try out the mousepad and sandpaper method for convexing an edge for some time now, but for the life of me I cannot find a mousepad anywhere. What can I use in place of one?
Try lay the sandpaper on leather.

I convex with a hard flat stone. I just rock my sharpening stroke. It is much easier than you'd think. Heck it is hard to not convex an edge free hand sharpening.

If you free hand sharpen with a few different angles via muscle memory(dont care how consistent you think your angles are), your going to get a convex edge.

What about a long Drywall sanding block? You can find them in the drywall finishing section of hardware stores, I estimate there length at 6" and 3" wide.
I have one and was going to try it in a vise. what do you guys think ?

Last edited:
What about a long Drywall sanding block? You can find them in the drywall finishing section of hardware stores, I estimate there length at 6" and 3" wide.
I have one and was going to try it in a vise. what do you guys think ?

As long as it has a bit of give it should be OK. You don't want it spongy soft mind you, but firm with the slightest bit if give to it.
If a drywall block is like a sanding block for auto body work you should be allright.

Chuck

I just ran into this myself, I tried convexing one of my paring knives.

A folder over newspaper with the sandpaper resting on it had too much give, I rounded off the edge. Not good.

I have a mounted leather strop, I tried just resting the sandpaper on top of the leather. That worked really well.

Back