Cool little experiment with fullers

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I do the majority of my fullers with a 2inch wheel. I built this cool bolo recently and after sitting with it a few days I got an idea to add fullers. Not just the regular ones though. I was looking for that Marbles look like they used to do on their forged blades. I took a perfectly fine finished knife and went to the shop🤪 I touched the blade to an 8inch wheel this time with a 36grit belt. I established some lines then switched up my belt grit to an 80grit. Got some wiggle on the left side and said some bad words 🤬 I took a breath and went back to work. A delicate touch and I was able to clean it up cosmetically enough to make me not lose my mind😜 An 8in wheel doesn’t creat that easy to find groove like a 2in wheel does. I’m gonna try the 8in fullers again but I need to set up a work rest next time. Freehand is not the most accurate option I believe. Overall I am super happy with how this turned out though. It looks super cool and helped even out the feel of the blade in my hand.
The bolo itself is a cool design I’m playing around with. It is not available at this time but here’s some specs. It’s got a 9in blade and is 14in overall. Weight is a very sweet 16oz👍 I tapered the tang and flat ground the blade. The scales are black G10 with a rough rasp texture finish.
IMG_4624.jpegIMG_4625.jpeg

I do the majority of my fullers with a 2inch wheel. I built this cool bolo recently and after sitting with it a few days I got an idea to add fullers. Not just the regular ones though. I was looking for that Marbles look like they used to do on their forged blades. I took a perfectly fine finished knife and went to the shop🤪 I touched the blade to an 8inch wheel this time with a 36grit belt. I established some lines then switched up my belt grit to an 80grit. Got some wiggle on the left side and said some bad words 🤬 I took a breath and went back to work. A delicate touch and I was able to clean it up cosmetically enough to make me not lose my mind😜 An 8in wheel doesn’t creat that easy to find groove like a 2in wheel does. I’m gonna try the 8in fullers again but I need to set up a work rest next time. Freehand is not the most accurate option I believe. Overall I am super happy with how this turned out though. It looks super cool and helped even out the feel of the blade in my hand.
The bolo itself is a cool design I’m playing around with. It is not available at this time but here’s some specs. It’s got a 9in blade and is 14in overall. Weight is a very sweet 16oz👍 I tapered the tang and flat ground the blade. The scales are black G10 with a rough rasp texture finish.
View attachment 2475020View attachment 2475021
I absolutely love that look.

Back