Corona Machete's ??

Does anyone have any experience with the Corona 18" machete made in Columbia? I bought one ($8 at Lowe's) and used it some last weekend on Cedar, Mesquite, and Oak and, after an initial sharpening with a file, it seemed to cut pretty efficiently and hold a decent edge. The blade has a nice ring to it when in use. The only minor complaint I have is that there is a portion of the blade, right at the sweet spot, that seems to be unusually hard such that the file will barely bite into it. The edge was a blue color due to heat treating I guess.

I have one. It works great for me. Didn't exhibit the hard point that you mention. Holds its edge pretty well, and it extremely easy to touch up when needed. I can easily see why the machete is such a favored tool.

Wished, they had proper Q.C. done for the grinding work done on the shapened edges. Mine wasn't excatly what you could call a prime example of superb manufacturing capability. It sucked big time on a few I pieces I had inspected. Other than that, no complaints whatsoever once you work it over with the proper sharpening equipment. A machete is indeed the way to go if you're on a tight budget buy. And there are a couple of other Latin American makes to choose from.

Does anyone have any experience with the Corona 18" machete made in Columbia? I bought one ($8 at Lowe's) and used it some last weekend on Cedar, Mesquite, and Oak and, after an initial sharpening with a file, it seemed to cut pretty efficiently and hold a decent edge. The blade has a nice ring to it when in use. The only minor complaint I have is that there is a portion of the blade, right at the sweet spot, that seems to be unusually hard such that the file will barely bite into it. The edge was a blue color due to heat treating I guess.
I have one and it's name is Chop Suey and it's the sharpest machete in the world.
Chop Suey once cut through a brick and didn't have a mark on it and this morning I hit a hidden piece of stone and again not a mark.

Back