couple Kershaw mods

fishface5

Gold Member
I love modding Kershaws - saw a beautiful Burchtree pocket Dao today and thought maybe I could do a poor man's version with a JYD2 CB. The tip is still a little acute to be a true Dao but I'm not sure if I want to lose the blade length or not. The choil and taking down the thumb-ramp make it much more comfortable IMHO, I also rounded out the handle a bit. I changed to configuration of the flipper and now it' gives a more positive flip. Once I tried using the choil I found it needed more thumb jimping down the spine so I added it. Finish work still needs to be done, but I'm pretty pleased with the results! It's got a nice flow I think - I posted a pic of the standard JYD2CB to show how it started out.

The top knife is a lightly-modded JYD; I made it a spearpoint (pointier now, but not needle-tip b/c that would be too delicate) and added a mini-choil which I think looks a bit better; I also rounded down the thumb ramp. Fits my hand better that way & flips out snappy!

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 192
  • ks-1725CB template.jpg
    ks-1725CB template.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
hmm . . .the handle texturing will need some work, never tried that before. But I did some additional profiling of the choil and the handle around the pivot to increase the flow. One lesson learned: it's very easy to slip while grinding with a dremel and thereby mar the blade finish. But overall I'm pretty pleased, although I think it's gone from Dao to more of a Sweeney Todd feel . . . .

Last edited:
Nice!
The only thing I've done to my JYDII was to mount a Skyline clip in tip up orientation.
So much nicer.

Back