Couple new parers- Thoughts please

For paring use I would personally like a narrower base to the blade, a straighter edge, but maintaining the fine point through clipping or dropping to from the spine. That's just for how I use a paring knife, though. VERY nice work--especially the taper at the top of the scales!

Those are some beautiful knives, Nick! Just some general thoughts about paring knives.... Along with a chef knife, the paring is probably one of the most used in any kitchen. Often the smaller bladed paring 2.5-3" gets used more than the bigger sizes. A 2.5" blade will handle differently from a 2.75" blade which will handle differently from a 3" blade. Handles should be fat enough to accomodate both large and small hands, boxy shapes help to index the grip better than a rounded or oval cross section. I like flat sides because sometimes it is handy to be able to rest a knife on a cutting board or counter top with the blade not touching anything else. Rust resistance is important for durability and there are many fine stainless steels available, Swedish steels in particular have many of the characteristics people like in carbon steel. Handle and pin /rivet materials should be durable as well. Small kitchen knives come in a variety of blade styles specialized for different functions such as peeling, carving, trimming, then there are the general purpose shapes which are meant to be versatile and multifunction, however of course they cannot do the individual specialized tasks as well as a specialized blade can.

Back