CPK Kephart

I just sharpened my new-to-me kephart to get ready for our big semi annual VT mountain, backpacking camping trip. Holy smokes Delta V3 takes a really fine edge. I’m blown away- it made the slightest burr which got stropped away really quickly.

There will be pictures after this weekend. I’m leaving my hatchet at home, which I never do.

I just sharpened my new-to-me kephart to get ready for our big semi annual VT mountain, backpacking camping trip. Holy smokes Delta V3 takes a really fine edge. I’m blown away- it made the slightest burr which got stropped away really quickly.

There will be pictures after this weekend. I’m leaving my hatchet at home, which I never do.

I beat mine through a full week of misc. campground firewood once on a trip and all I could find on the knife were scuffs on the sides, I think you’re gonna love it in use. I never missed the hatchet since I mostly use it like a wedge and pound it through small pieces anyway (very little swing style chopping), the Kephart was actually easier to section and split off smaller kindling size strips. Have a great time out there, I’m looking forward to the pics!

I'm a fairly skilled axe/hatchet user, and I love them, so it's hard for me to leave one off the list of things to bring into the woods.
I'm really trying to cut out the things I don't need however, because every little thing I pack becomes extra weight and another thing to put away / manage.
We're going with "less is more" this time, so it's gonna be a silky saw, the CPK and a SAK

I'm a fairly skilled axe/hatchet user, and I love them, so it's hard for me to leave one off the list of things to bring into the woods.
I'm really trying to cut out the things I don't need however, because every little thing I pack becomes extra weight and another thing to put away / manage.
We're going with "less is more" this time, so it's gonna be a silky saw, the CPK and a SAK

Have a great time Dan, and may you have perfect weather too, good times and hopefully too early in the season for misquotes to be out 🙏👍🍻

Have a great time Dan, and may you have perfect weather too, good times and hopefully too early in the season for misquotes to be out 🙏👍🍻
Thank you, sir- it's shaping up to be absolutely perfect. We deliberately go late and early in the season before those little bastards wake up.
I look forward to coming back smelling like wood smoke and full of red meat.

Holy smokes Delta V3 takes a really fine edge. I’m blown away- it made the slightest burr which got stropped away really quickly.

My Delta 3V has the best edge stability of any high toughness wear resistant complex steel. If you want higher edge stability than I can produce, you're going to have to give up some other important properties. For example, something like W2. Fantastic fine edge stability. But that stuff rusts, breaks comparatively easily, and goes dull relatively quickly. We are pursuing enhanced edge retention through superior edge stability. That's what it's all about. Thanks for noticing.

Folks, I have to say: without a doubt, the CPK Kephart is the best camp knife I've ever used.
It split loads of ash and made a handful of feather sticks. I used it to cut packages of bacon in half to make the strips manageable sizes for our cook setup (packaging and all, like it was butter).
I needed a large spoon for making a gallon of homemade mac & cheese, so I found a downed green birch tree and between my CPK and my silky saw I carved out a functional wooden spoon in probably 30 minutes.
Sure, that's as much a Horace Kephart knife design thing, but that spear point was perfect at getting about a 1/2" convex into the spoon.
Best of all, it was long enough to carve the roast we made over the fire, which was as delicious as it looks. After a weekend of using it every chance I could to cut anything I needed, it's still wicked sharp.
I was sitting there Sunday morning around the fire just passing the time working at the spoon I used on Friday night, and I was getting crystal clear end grain shavings, even after hammering the thing through countless birch and ash knots.
Also, the kydex sheath is the best I've ever used.

If I was forced to pick one fixed blade for the rest of my life, I think this would be the one.
A big thanks to M Murphjd25 again; I had the biggest shit-eatin' grin all weekend.

I'm setting some coin aside in the event these go into production again.
It's one of the few knives that I think is worth having two.

FgIEdBv.jpg

vocZry1.jpg

q8tkQHg.jpg

pVZ1Oog.jpg

pKF0mUw.jpg

5XMfMJs.jpg

5sMGves.jpg

zaIO6kD.jpg

Back