CPK Survival Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong. You'll be able to survive with such a knife but I would have loved to see a more 'professional', more simple knife. Like some Tommi (rhomboid) Puukko, with that barrel handle shape, some acute thin geometry with a tiny microbevel made from Delta 3V. A knife for well-trained educated professionals with an emphasis on wood processing/carving, something you can carry almost everywhere at anytime, a knife you would love to work with when you're setting up a trap line, building implements, processing food, making fire and so on.

No Rambo, not overbuilt, no jimping, no choil. Just pure performance.

Such a knife made from modern materials.. very rare to find.

There are some very well made Puukkkos out there (Kainuun). I know S30V is no D3V, but for $200ish Spyderco has a reasonably authentic Puukko, even some with fancy wooden handles that is readily available. While I know that is no CPK, it will get you a lot closer to what you are after than a Mora, on the shelf today and ready to ship now. I wouldn't hold my breath for a CPK Puukko.

Off the top of my head, I can't imagine turning my FK into a bayonet for a Mosin-Nagant, or think of it as ideal for processing a pan size trout, but there is nothing else I can think of that I would be able to do with a Puukko that I couldn't do with a FK.

I say FK as the size of it is much closer to a Puukko than the SK.

This 'survival knife' on the other hand is, in my opinion, just 'another big knife' which will be handled by some Joe Blow on his annual overnighter to chop and baton stuff. The Field Knife and the Utility Fighter already fit that bill perfectly. You get those kind of knives almost everywhere. The market is oversaturated by those knives. They clog up the shelves.

Don't get me wrong. You'll be able to survive with such a knife but I would have loved to see a more 'professional', more simple knife. Like some Tommi (rhomboid) Puukko, with that barrel handle shape, some acute thin geometry with a tiny microbevel made from Delta 3V. A knife for well-trained educated professionals with an emphasis on wood processing/carving, something you can carry almost everywhere at anytime, a knife you would love to work with when you're setting up a trap line, building implements, processing food, making fire and so on.

No Rambo, not overbuilt, no jimping, no choil. Just pure performance.

Such a knife made from modern materials.. very rare to find.

Well of course if you also carry a "Survival Hatchet" or "Survival Saw" everywhere, I guess then you can get by with the usual thumb sized useless little twig cutter, but please don't act like this is hugely original, or pretend that your ideas are rare and not overwhelmingly everywhere 24/7...

Not only is the ridiculous notion of a small knife being a "Survival Knife" ubiquitous, but it has probably already racket up a significant body count of hapless Bushcraft hipsters out there... Don't worry though, you won't hear from them.

Gaston

I'm one of the old timers here (old fart in this case...not someone who has been a forum member forever) and usually don't have a lot to say. I grew up in a half Caucasian / half Native American family of educated woodsmen near my grandfather's farm in north Florida. Between the two cultures I was taught everything a man needed to know to survive off the land. Went to Nam straight out of high school, spent a few years in the military after coming home and continue to this day to travel the world. A good college education and several degrees later earned a good living. Got my hands on a Randall 14 in Nam and, having sold and given away at least a dozen since that first one, I've always looked for and found another. Whether in India, Burma, Tibet, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Europe (southern and northern) there have been large and small knives used by the various cultures for various chores. I personally gravitate between a 5 inch and a 7 to 8 inch blade. Blade thickness varies and, while I've gotten a bit too old to sleep on a ground pad under a tarp or rock outcropping I still hike on my days off in a small patch of woods in the Wekiva River Basin with a little friend (my Australian Silky), a Wilson Combat Pro LWT on the right hip, spare mag on the left and one of three or four favorites in a SOB rig. The FK has become one of those I count on. I still have an old tomahawk made years ago for me by Butches Forge.

I think bubbaskyjacker said it best...."the knife you have on you when you need to survive."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well of course if you also carry a "Survival Hatchet" or "Survival Saw" everywhere, I guess then you can get by with the usual thumb sized useless little twig cutter, but please don't act like this is hugely original, or pretend that your ideas are rare and not overwhelmingly everywhere 24/7...

Not only is the ridiculous notion of a small knife being a "Survival Knife" ubiquitous, but it has probably already racket up a significant body count of hapless Bushcraft hipsters out there... Don't worry though, you won't hear from them.

Gaston

Do you run around Bladeforums thinking that your opinion is the only one that matters??
Pissing on someone else's idea isn't needed around here bubba.

Drama!

satangoat.gif~original

Gaston, take a deep breath and chill. We're all enthusiasts having fun. Check your tone.

Hell, Nathan, this isn't drama. Walk into a patient's room with me when I have to inform the family members that God jerked my miracle license. Hope to live long enough to see you, Jo and Lorien continue to pave this new road much the same as Bo Randall did in his day.

Ghostwalker54,

Next time we are down in FL visiting family, I hope you would allow me to buy you a beverage of your choice. It would be an honor to listen to any stories you would like to share.

Hell, Nathan, this isn't drama. Walk into a patient's room with me when I have to inform the family members that God jerked my miracle license. Hope to live long enough to see you, Jo and Lorien continue to pave this new road much the same as Bo Randall did in his day.

that is high praise! Thank you :)

Last but not least! Having the same last name it's obvious that Lorien comes from good stock.[emoji854]

Street medicine in Chengdu, China, Sichuan Province. I'm fairly certain he wasn't using a FK to dig that earwax out.

912e74eadccadfa59e63315c38410245.jpg

You're a man after my own heart, we're of a similar mind there. That said, not every knife needs to be a sports car, some people like a sport utility truck they can beat on with the knowledge it will never break. I personally prefer thinner geometry in my own knives, but I appreciate some people need to rely on their tools in ways that are different than me. For example, a soldier may want to know their knife can pry open a glove box without risking damage and can pry open a door or open a hole in a masonry wall without failing. There can be times when an "appropriate" tool isn't on hand and you make due with what you have on you. These are good applications for 3V and good design/execution, but they're going to be pretty stout.

Edit to add: I use an old Shiv to cut open shipping crates and just cut through the nails. It's actually pretty quick and easy. Much simpler than prying them out. But you can't do that with a thin little EDC...

I know what you mean and I think we're on the same page, e.g. a few months back I got an assignment to design two tools.. one of them was a 6-7" field knife for a particular military branch. It's relatively lightweight for its blade length, the balance is good and the geometry is adequately efficient (despite its intended use/abuse), it can be a substitute for my bush knives but it's definitively more like some sport utility truck. I do prefer a 'sports car' for myself, though. And the few CPK knives I've handled so far (including my own, pre-D3V) were some serious sports cars. Would love to see a CPK 'wilderness' sports car someday.

I know S30V is no D3V, but for $200ish Spyderco has a reasonably authentic Puukko, even some with fancy wooden handles that is readily available.
The Tommi Puukko was an example for an efficient bush knife which is, by its nature, a proven survival knife. Nothing fancy, simple, laughed at by the uneducated. It wouldn't have to be a Puukko. The Spyderco is a fine designed knife (imho) but at its price point it's still made in Taiwan and I don't think the choice of steel is very sensible. High edge stability as well as fine edge retention is something I really appreciate. So I think there are better steels available especially if you consider the knife's thinner geometry and its intended use. For this kind of knife I would choose a tough steel like 3V or even AEB-L over S30V any day. But this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I think that is because LA is on the back. Let us think of it more like, right and left rather than first second and third!! :D

First, second, third - who's counting, definitely not me. Lorien first impressed me with his use of language, must be more than ten years ago. And since then, with knife design. And now a Mod, so I gotta watch my language.

I've always found it funny when people "hope/wished" a maker would make "their" idea of what a knife should be , whether it is Survival, pizza, cake , or booger knife.

Especially the guy that started all the ruckus. Make your own freaking knife to your specs and we don't have to hear nonsense. Oh and you said you design knives, get off the forum and go design your purrfect knife.

Buy a knife cause you like the style or the maker or both. If they did not make the one in your mind too bad and go elsewhere. I'm sure this is not your idea of a perfect survival blade but it might be mine.

Moral of the story - quit being a hater, your knives probably suck and kick rocks if you don't like it , other will.

I don't even own a CPK , but I would like to. So I'm not totally biased.

Well that escalated quickly...school must be out for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I betcha Nathan would prefer kinder, gentler treatment of those using the subforum. I wouldn't suppose to speak for Nathan, but will quote him, from this very thread:

" take a deep breath and chill. We're all enthusiasts having fun. Check your tone. "

I betcha Nathan would prefer kinder, gentler treatment of those using the subforum. I wouldn't suppose to speak for Nathan, but will quote him, from this very thread:

" take a deep breath and chill. We're all enthusiasts having fun. Check your tone. "

👍👍 Mike

some of you guys are going to have to go to bed without dinner if you can't start playing nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back