CPM 3v pitting/staining

Hey there 3v owners and users. I've read about some nasty GSO 10 in 3v pitting issues and I realize it is not a stainless steel. I've also heard really great reviews on this metal.

From personal experience, how has 3v held up for you? Feel free to add details about your location and how you generally use and care for your blade.

I'm pretty much set on 3v, but I haven't totally ruled out 20cv. Staining isn't a big deal, but real pitting concerns me a bit more.

CPM-3V Corrosion Test Survive! Knives.

[video=youtube_share;bNo2YUe-mbQ]http://youtu.be/bNo2YUe-mbQ[/video]

I'd say it depends on what size knife you want . 20cv was used on the 3.5 allot and some 4.1's also and would be a great cutting blade that holds an edge . But for a larger knife that you might chop and baton with I believe that 3v is tougher . Although 20cv is far from brittle .

I have a GSO 5 in 3v and use it hard . Just last week I was camping in Algonquin Park here in Ontario Canada for 4 days . It was raining the day we got there , so it was wet the first couple of days and cold . I used the knife for chopping , batoning , making feather sticks and making small shavings to start the fires . I just wiped it on my sleeve once in awhile . However when I got home I cleaned it up with dish soap and water and then gave the blade a rub with my Tuffcloth . I've had that knife for quite a while now and when I clean it it STILL looks like I never use it . I use my knives hard , but I don't abuse them and I do take care of them so they will continue to take care of me ;)

Last edited:
3V has held up well for me with just moderate care. Although it's not completely stainless, I'd not trade any of it's toughness for more stain resistance. A very good steel.

Dutchtracker, I had seen that video, but I'll give it another look. If I remember right, the torture tests were pretty impressive. I'm also curious in normal use situations.

Mike, I want to be you! The 5 in 3v is my dream. I'm glad it has been working so well for you. Do you like Tuf-cloth better than mineral oil?

Mike and Hard Knocks, since the GSO's come uncoated, they must be easier to take care of than 1095, right?

Yes, easier than 1095 in my experience. I haven't had the GSO long but it seems the blade finish itself is going to help as well.

Yes I also find the 3v easier to care for than 1095 . 3v seems much more rust resistant and that tumbled finish makes them VERY nice and smooth making less place for moisture and wet dirt to stick on it .

As for the Tuffcloth , yes I like it because it gives you a material that seems to work well for cleaning . That said it's marked right on the package that when the Tuffcloth starts to dry out , to just dampen it again with mineral oil . So I guess that,s basically whats on the cloth to start with .

Silver Needle , on a side note there is that GSO 5.1 for sale on the big auction site right now if you like a knife with a choil .

I've been trying to stain/patina 4 of my 3v blades for a few months now naturally.... No such luck yet, still looks new besides some scratches.

Use a little mineral oil or other rust prevention measures. Don't leave the knife wet for a long time. Etc

I have a Rasul from KR/Molletta. Terrific knife. The 3V is stained up pretty chronic, more than D2 does, and it has had a few big rust spots over time. The rust wipes off OK. It leaves a dark stain, but there's no texture to it, no pitting. ....... So far. Great knife though.

I have a Rasul from KR/Molletta. Terrific knife. The 3V is stained up pretty chronic, more than D2 does, and it has had a few big rust spots over time. The rust wipes off OK. It leaves a dark stain, but there's no texture to it, no pitting. ....... So far. Great knife though.
Are you right on the coast? I can't get mine to stop looking new. They're out every weekend and sometimes during the week to no result.

Yes I also find the 3v easier to care for than 1095 . 3v seems much more rust resistant and that tumbled finish makes them VERY nice and smooth making less place for moisture and wet dirt to stick on it .

As for the Tuffcloth , yes I like it because it gives you a material that seems to work well for cleaning . That said it's marked right on the package that when the Tuffcloth starts to dry out , to just dampen it again with mineral oil . So I guess that,s basically whats on the cloth to start with .

Silver Needle , on a side note there is that GSO 5.1 for sale on the big auction site right now if you like a knife with a choil .

Hey thanks, I'll check out the auction.

I'm glad everyone is voicing details on their experience. All my good knives are 1095 so this is new to me.

I tried to patina a 3V knife with mustard and vinegarband other stuff and it wouldnt take one.

I tried to patina a 3V knife with mustard and vinegarband other stuff and it wouldnt take one.

Yea, I feel that has something to do with the grain of the steel in CPM VS carbon steel. I'd love for them to patina, but my experience with cpm steels is that they exhibit the surface rust "spots" and the dark stain after. Nothing 0000 and camellia or mineral oil can't clean with some persistence, but I've not yet seen any spots that can't be removed. Probably differing from experiences of others depending on what material you're cutting through. I thougth blood might actually cause it to patina faster, but after plenty of butchery, they still look nice and clean.

CPM 3V defintely stains.

After some bush clearing (only cleaned it when I got home 2-3hours later)
SkL3VM9.jpg

Some staining from all the tree sap:
XMPsOEM.jpg

Autosol fixes it extremely quickly:
6AbGt2a.jpg

Such an awesome knife! Definitely a go to knife and will purchase more once they are back in stock.

Bonus video on how sharp it is out of the factory!
[video=youtube;U_Lkj9KbbmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Lkj9KbbmU[/video]

Thanks for the pics, they're worth a thousand words. Too bad the staining happens from sap since my knives are used in the woods. How did you clean them? I'm not familiar with autosol.

I want to see your video, but it says it's private!

Thanks for the pics, they're worth a thousand words. Too bad the staining happens from sap since my knives are used in the woods. How did you clean them? I'm not familiar with autosol.

I want to see your video, but it says it's private!

My bad about the video. Fixed it.

The staining is pretty minor imo. Autosol is similar to Flitz in paste form. Just a few seconds of rubbing and it's as good as new.

Note: The tree/bush sap staining may vary due to the difference in plants as I'm living in Singapore(Asia).

Last edited:
Back