Cpm s35vn t&e wip

Cut up two more boxes for a total of over 1,000 slices in cardboard. Shaving ability is gone but the edge is still excellent. Next up is rope cutting 5/8" diameter manilia rope.
Scott

Cut up two more boxes for a total of over 1,000 slices in cardboard. Shaving ability is gone but the edge is still excellent. Next up is rope cutting 5/8" diameter manilia rope.
Scott

I saw Scott using it yesterday, and while I should've taken some pics, the knife went through two cardboard boxes like it was going through hot butter. I used to be a manager in retail, and we went through box cutters like underwear (no, we didn't use them till they were nasty and stinky :D). Anyway, he showed me several of his after tests. Afterwards, it was still moderately sharp.

He put another wicked edge on my Spyderco Bob T slipit, which is S30V, and I fully expect that to hold up for some time. I think Scott's current steel main squeeze, CPM154, better watch out!

kahuana, dammit, I have to get a UNK now, especially after seeing Scott use his S35VN model.:D

Last edited:
Computer is down at home for several days. As soon as I'm back online at home I'll post more pics. I did 100 push cuts through a 5/8" diameter, 5 ft. long piece of manila rope. This rope is tough stuff. The edge is still very good slicing with little effort, through newsprint without tearing.
Scott

Here are the last two pics of the test. The manila rope and after it was cut. I went ahead and resharpened the knife. Took about 20 to 30 minutes to bring it to where it would shave hair not popping hair and basically had a great working edge. In conclusion with alot of thought, steels that hold an edge for a long time are great because there is less need for resharpening but.... if you let the edge go to long, it may be tough for the novice sharpener to bring it back. The key like with any steel is to maintain it with regular touch ups.
This steel has excellent edge holding and is very tough with the right edge geometry. It held up without any chipping or deforming at all.
It is a bit harder to sharpen then CPM154. I like it but if I had to choose, I would take the CPM 154 over CPM S35VN because of CPM 154's ease of resharpening.
Scott

Attachments

• Picture 475.jpg
    Picture 475.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Picture 474.jpg
    Picture 474.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 18
Nice to see a knife cut comething other than vegetables. Amazing that it still has bite after all the previous cuts in cardboard and batoning through wood. I agree with your choice of CPM154 though. My UNK sharpens back with ease. It holds an edge very well also.

Mike the S35VN reminds me of D2 as far as the edge and it's sharpness. Even through it doesn't shave as readily as 154, it is a tough sharp for abrasive and hard to cut medium like cardboard and manila rope. It can cut these things and hold it's edge extremely well. It just doesn't seem to take that fine smooth cutting edge like 154.
Scott

I'm going to do some stuff in CPM 154 soon. I need to talk to you about the HT and grindability.

Scott, I shared this with the hubby and he says perhaps we should not come by Thursday after all. He needs his Friday paycheck first . . . a day late. :)

I just bought him that one knife, and he just got an Invicta watch, so he will have to wait before getting anything else new for a while.

A little while at least. Oh boy!

The testing that knife has been through only serves to demonstrate the quality. The shaving of the hairs on your arm are the toughest test after all. :)

I've still been working this knife and decided to reprofile the edge geometry a bit thinner. The secondary bevel's shoulders needed to be reduced. I also took a couple thousanth's of an inch just above the edge too futher enhance the geometry. To make sure the edge would still hold up, I batoned cross grain through the piece of pine lumber I used to cut down in the original test. Cut it in half, no edge issues at all. This is some tough steel.
Scott

Compared to S30V, how does this alloy stack up? It seems to be more wear resistant than CPM154CM, is it tougher as well?

From the results of the testing it holds it's own with toughness. I'd really have to run the same tests with CPM154 to compare the two.
Scott

I'm not familiar with either CPM 154 or S35VN, so how would it compare to 3V? Or is that not a good comparison?

Now that early muzzleloader season is over, I want to comment about this steel for a hunting knife. In a word, fantastic! I was able to do three deer, gutting, skinning and butchering with no need to resharpen. I purposely hit bone, even partially split a pelvic bone, tried to cut up into the breastbone (not enough leverage to finish the job, needed a bigger blade) and cut through three tail bones. The only thing I did was use my Schrade Honesteel to freshen up the edge. Wasn't necessary, just wanted to keep the edge keen.
Scott

It's been almost 3 months now using this steel. In the beginning of testing I used it to near dullness. Since then I've been doing regular touch ups with a steel or my Honesteel and cannot stress enough that regular touch ups will save you the hassles of full sharpening. Keep the edge keen and your knife will serve you well when needed.
Scott

If this question is inappropriate for your Forum Scott just remove it please.

.......The only thing I did was use my Schrade Honesteel to freshen up the edge. Wasn't necessary, just wanted to keep the edge keen.
Scott

Scott - Please explain about the honesteel.
Thanks - Steve

I use the side of the honesteel to touch up the edge. Same as I do in the youtube vid I made about sharpening. The honesteel acts just like a butchers steel to keep the edge up.
Scott

Back