CRK Lockbar Stabilizer

I'm not getting into silly arguments over a piece of titanium & steel. If you believe that CRK can do no wrong, and that nothing ever could possibly be improved upon the design, then that's your prerogative. As far as this comment goes:

I cant, they discontinued it! lol!

I didnt know we were arguing, thought it was a discussion.

I never said CRK can do no wrong. The have made many mistakes over the years. Im stating that the Sebenza doesn't need changed or improved as it’s exactly what it was deigned to be. Its not broken so why fix it.

Everyone is always saying this product needs fixed, this product is out of date, this knife has been surpassed This phone is no longer relevant, this steel sucks now….
and this can be true in some cases and Im all for technology and advancement. However my 30 year old Estwing hammer still works just like it did when I bought it 30 years ago and the Original Sebenza I just got yesterday is every bit as good as the 21 in my pocket and the 31 on my dresser.

And what’s discontinued?

Ah man, I love that spot on my Inkosi Tanto. The Inkosi also has a smoothed out notch on the spine, just past the jimping (don’t know if the Sebenza has that). Thumb tip on the spine notch with inside tip of pointer finger in the spot you circled equals fine detailed work for me!
I suppose, it could be useful for fine detail work but on the flip side for hard work I really like a finger choil to lock in the grip. I think the biggest danger is sweaty hands slipping on to the blade during hard use.

The grip on the inkosi I feel is much better because of the second choil and would agree with you that it doesn’t bother me as much. Personally I really like feeling locked in on the grip and the sebenza is so close but doesn’t quite pull it off.

It’s because of the grip and thicker blade stock that makes the inkosi my favorite of the bunch.

I didnt know we were arguing, thought it was a discussion.

I never said CRK can do no wrong. The have made many mistakes over the years. Im stating that the Sebenza doesn't need changed or improved as it’s exactly what it was deigned to be. Its not broken so why fix it.

Everyone is always saying this product needs fixed, this product is out of date, this knife has been surpassed This phone is no longer relevant, this steel sucks now….
and this can be true in some cases and Im all for technology and advancement. However my 30 year old Estwing hammer still works just like it did when I bought it 30 years ago and the Original Sebenza I just got yesterday is every bit as good as the 21 in my pocket and the 31 on my dresser.

And what’s discontinued?
I do love my worn in estwing hammer!! I might have to put it in my closet next to my knife collection. Ya just made me realize how sentimental it is! 😂

And what’s discontinued?
The classic Sebenza and the Sebenza 21.

My view on the matter was that a well designed and hidden LBS can be considered an improvement over the current design. You don't share that opinion. That's OK, I don't have to change your mind. There is nothing more to say, really.

Its not like the lock bar relief is that thin on these knives either... Case in point the hinderer lock bar relief is WAY larger in surface area and thinner than anything from CRK, hence the the addition of the LBS - over extension due to lack of material so.. they needed to add multiple features in the machining process alone for the addition. (drill / tap / pocketing for the LBS)

But I digress... they dont need one.. and if you did ever bend it.. not like it cant be repaired or adjusted.

Last edited:
Practically speaking, I'm not sure how they could mount a lockbar stabilizer on the Inkosi or Sebenza because it would have to compete with the inlay for real estate. They would have to make something internal, which would involve the little set screws that Chris Reeve didn't want to use.

It would also only serve as an over travel stop, not truly a lockbar stabilizer.

I think to put it simply, there is no LBS on the Sebenza because there is no demand for it.

Its not like the lock bar relief is that thin on these knives either... Case in point the hinderer lock bar relief is WAY larger in surface area and thinner than anything from CRK, hence the the addition of the LBS - over extension due to lack of material so.. they needed to add multiple features in the machining process alone for the addition. (drill / tap / pocketing for the LBS)

But I digress... they dont need one.. and if you did ever bend it.. not like it cant be repaired or adjusted.

Funny thing is, any newer Hinderer with steel lock-bar insert doesn't need an LBS, because the steel-insert already prevents lock-bar over-bending (word?). In newer Hinderers the LBS is there purely for cosmetic reasons. This is a Gen 5 XM18, for instance, hope you can see it:

IMG_0742-XL.jpg

IMG_0740-XL.jpg

Funny thing is, any newer Hinderer with steel lock-bar insert doesn't need an LBS, because the steel-insert already prevents lock-bar over-bending (word?). In newer Hinderers the LBS is there purely for cosmetic reasons. This is a Gen 5 XM18, for instance, hope you can see it:

IMG_0742-XL.jpg

IMG_0740-XL.jpg
My Eklipse is the same way. I think the only real reason the LBS is still there is for "history" since he says hes the inventor of it..

As a couple people alluded to, the Umnumzaan's "lockbar stabilizer" is really more of a child lock, which is why so many people don't like it. CRK has stated that it's not intended as a lockbar stabilizer even though it looks like one. For whatever reason, people kept bending the lockbars on their Umnumzaans to change the lockbar tension, and then sending the ruined knives in for warranty and refusing to admit that they did anything, which was costing CRK money in repairs. Although the newer Sebenzas had the same ceramic ball interface and could be ruined in the same way, people just weren't doing it with the Sebenza. I think Chris posted somewhere that although he didn't want to put that disc in, he felt that he had to so he wouldn't have to keep paying for other peoples' mistakes. That's why it's pressed in and can't be removed like the Hinderer stabilizer.

I do wonder why they didn't just put it on the inside of the lockbar; that probably would have been more acceptable to people.

I can't imagine folks finding it offensive. Clearly there is something wrong with me.

IMG_0742-XL.jpg

IMG_0740-XL.jpg
The LBS prevents the lockbar from flexing forward and aft. In other words, with the blade deployed, it keeps the bar from flexing under negative pressure on the spine of the blade.

That's the difference between a stabilizer and an over travel stop.

I thought it was just a place to put your middle finger tip where it wouldn't push on the lock bar making the Umny harder to open...

"Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer"
"If I could see something, you could see anything you want boy"

Back