Curious about the mindset of Randall Owners?

Hello Randall Folks,

I was just wondering about how Randall owners think?
Yes, I realize that is a broad question that opens a lot of doors for answers.
So, I'll fill you in a bit more about my reasoning.

I have been on blade for a reasonable amount of time. I have learned a lot, read a lot,
and spent money on many different knives. I see names in here I have known for years.

I have moved twice in the last year. Once from the rural northern Adirondacks to northeast Pennsylvania, and from PA to rural Sierra National Forest of California.

I have moved a lot (I mean a lot) of knives twice. Not fun.

A few years back, I picked up a 25-5 Trapper as my first Randall. I was quite taken with it.
I put it right to work, for fear if I didn't, I never would.

It was an impressive blade for sure. but for some ill conceived reason, I let it go.
I knew it was a mistake when I did it. But life marches on.

In between then and now, I have acquired and sold all sorts of knives. Bucks, Skookums, Orfords, Moras, Adventure Sworns, and many others.

Most recently, I snagged another Trapper of the secondary market. It may actually be nicer than my first one and I didn't think that was possible. It lacks an official Randall sheath, but I improvised.

I am thinking out loud here.
But I'm tossing around, the idea of downsizing most of this collection in favor of more Randall knives. For several reasons.

Reason One,
I'm 61 and not getting any younger. I don't want the bride to have to deal with this mess if something unexpected were to happen. She wouldn't know where to begin.

Reason Two,
Instead of draws and closets full of knives. I'd like to have one or two draws full of very cool knives. Less to track, less to pack, less to maintain. Maintaining knives and lead delivery devices in humid PA was an exercise in futility.

Reason Three,
The Randall Bug seems to have bitten me. When I reach for that 25-5 Trapper on my belt, it just feels like it belongs there.

One problem I have had since childhood, is I like to use my toys. I stopped building model planes, because I saw no value in them just sitting on a shelf waiting to be admired.
When I did play with them, they did not hold up. Not surprising given their original design parameters.

Randall Made Knives appear to be toys I can play with. At least that is my hope.

There aren't to many places I can ask or discuss this. plus I am a Luddite. I frequent two forums. Blade, and Bushcraft USA. That's about it.

Plus there is the whole debate thing. I don't necessarily want to post this where I get an answer like, "Just get a Mora". I have a Mora, in fact seven I think. I like them, I am not a knife snob. But that's not what this is about.

I'm not really sure what this is about. I read one of Melvin's comments on how many Randalls have passed through his hands. I thought he'd understand this.

Then there is the intangible, Randall Made Knives inherently possess a certain mystique.
I like that I can carry a piece of American made knife history on my belt.

I also like that about my KA-BAR for the same reason. They are a proven piece of Americana.
In truth, my KA-BARS will do 95% of what I need to do in the woods. But they aren't Randalls.

As I age out, I find, I'm not the man I used to think I was. Everything these days is harder than it was thirty years ago. I can still do it all. I just have to chunk it down differently.

Am I crazy for wanting to use my Randall knives? Would I be crazier if I didn't?
Some folks say, why buy an expensive knife and then use it? Myself, I see more value in using them than I do looking at them. This isn't an investment thing for me. It's more of a personal gratification thing.

I won't be showing off the cool Randall knife on my side much. My closest neighbor is roughly six miles away. It's mostly the bride, the mule deer, the coyotes and I'm told the occasional big cat. Oh yeah, and snakes, rattlesnakes. I hate snakes, like Indiana Jones hates snakes.

So, with that long winded intro, thinking, questions, reasoning, what do you all think.
And yes, I realize I came to a Randall Forum to ask if I should buy more Randall Knives.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, support, abuse, or advice you may offer up.

Thanks,
LV,

Hello Randall Folks,

I have been on blade for a reasonable amount of time. I have learned a lot, read a lot,
and spent money on many different knives. I see names in here I have known for years.

I have moved twice in the last year. Once from the rural northern Adirondacks to northeast Pennsylvania, and from PA to rural Sierra National Forest of California.

A few years back, I picked up a 25-5 Trapper as my first Randall. I was quite taken with it.

It was an impressive blade for sure. but for some ill conceived reason, I let it go.

In between then and now, I have acquired and sold all sorts of knives. Bucks, Skookums, Orfords, Moras, Adventure Sworns, and many others.

Most recently, I snagged another Trapper of the secondary market. It may actually be nicer than my first one and I didn't think that was possible. It lacks an official Randall sheath, but I improvised.

But I'm tossing around, the idea of downsizing most of this collection in favor of more Randall knives. For several reasons.

Reason One,
I'm 61 and not getting any younger. I don't want the bride to have to deal with this mess if something unexpected were to happen. She wouldn't know where to begin.

Reason Two,
Instead of draws and closets full of knives. I'd like to have one or two draws full of very cool knives. Less to track, less to pack, less to maintain. Maintaining knives and lead delivery devices in humid PA was an exercise in futility.

Reason Three,
The Randall Bug seems to have bitten me. When I reach for that 25-5 Trapper on my belt, it just feels like it belongs there.

One problem I have had since childhood, is I like to use my toys. I stopped building model planes, because I saw no value in them just sitting on a shelf waiting to be admired.
When I did play with them, they did not hold up. Not surprising given their original design parameters.

Randall Made Knives appear to be toys I can play with. At least that is my hope.

There aren't to many places I can ask or discuss this. plus I am a Luddite. I frequent two forums. Blade, and Bushcraft USA. That's about it.

Plus there is the whole debate thing. I don't necessarily want to post this where I get an answer like, "Just get a Mora". I have a Mora, in fact seven I think. I like them, I am not a knife snob. But that's not what this is about.

I'm not really sure what this is about. I read one of Melvin's comments on how many Randalls have passed through his hands. I thought he'd understand this.

Then there is the intangible, Randall Made Knives inherently possess a certain mystique.

I also like that about my KA-BAR for the same reason. They are a proven piece of Americana.
In truth, my KA-BARS will do 95% of what I need to do in the woods. But they aren't Randalls.

As I age out, I find, I'm not the man I used to think I was. Everything these days is harder than it was thirty years ago. I can still do it all. I just have to chunk it down differently.

Am I crazy for wanting to use my Randall knives? Would I be crazier if I didn't?
Some folks say, why buy an expensive knife and then use it? Myself, I see more value in using them than I do looking at them. This isn't an investment thing for me. It's more of a personal gratification thing.

I won't be showing off the cool Randall knife on my side much. My closest neighbor is roughly six miles away. It's mostly the bride, the mule deer, the coyotes and I'm told the occasional big cat. Oh yeah, and snakes, rattlesnakes. I hate snakes, like Indiana Jones hates snakes.

So, with that long winded intro, thinking, questions, reasoning, what do you all think.
And yes, I realize I came to a Randall Forum to ask if I should buy more Randall Knives.

Thanks,
LV,
The same exact reason I like Ruana knives, I love a few Busse, 20200706_150841.jpg Bucks, Tops, Becker and Behrings. I just keep the Ruana's.

Randall built their name on making 'Using Knives', and most people did, before they became a collectible trading commodity where condition and options became more valuable than function. IMO, you honor both those that came before you, and the legacy of the brand, by using it. Besides, you'll be happier, prouder, and walk taller by using it rather than just leaving it in a drawer. Good on ya, and congratulations on the move.

Hello Randall Folks,

Reason One,

Reason Two,

Reason Three,

Thanks,
LV,

Great post.

Randall built their name on making 'Using Knives', and most people did, before they became a collectible trading commodity where condition and options became more valuable than function. IMO, you honor both those that came before you, and the legacy of the brand, by using it. Besides, you'll be happier, prouder, and walk taller by using it rather than just leaving it in a drawer. Good on ya, and congratulations on the move.

Agree 100 percent.

Hello Randall Folks,

Reason One,

Reason Two,

Reason Three,

Thanks,
LV,

IMO, you honor both those that came before you, and the legacy of the brand, by using it.
I remember Shel(Melvin-Purvis) telling a poster on this forum that the knife he was asking about was one of the rarest of RMKs...a used one.:)
I enjoyed reading your post, wish I had something for you, but...
I truly don't know what I think....
I have four RMK(and many other brands/models) that I have bought with the intent of using and I have not...
The 25-5 I bought years ago, most recently the 5-5, neither have made it outside the house.
I regularly carry a slippy that sold for $300+, so it's not really about the cost or money.
FYI, I bought my first hunting knife, a Buck 118, in '69-'70 and have used that knife for everything in the outdoors and have for years thought about replacing it with one of the many others I own. It still goes with me and gets used, even though I take others with the intent of using, but don't.
I applaud you for posting and using your 25-5.
Z1tsxSF.jpg

Well, that is a deep question. I always amired Rndalls and purchased my first one on 1990. My boss at the time had a model 5 his wife purchased for him during wwII He carried his while hunting and subsequently lost it somewhere on tug hill here in new york. I then read an article about randall and ordered my first one, a model 3, which a carried during hunting season. Imhave always been intrigued by custom made “usable” knives, not fancy show pieces. For a while I got on a kick of purchasing custom made fixed blades on ebay, no particular maker, more based on price and if they caught my eye as a user, yet i do not carry my knives. I also need to start downsizing my collection, especially my 100 or so Case stag trapper pocket knives, at 71, my wife would not have a clue what to do with them all. Their are some really talented knife makers out there. One of these days i will post a picture of my scrimshawed ivory handle model 3. To answer your question, if you have a reason to carry a fixed blade knife, by all means do so.

Makes sense to down size to fewer with more quality. I’ve done that with my users.

I have kids so it doesn’t make sense to sell something for a loss that they may need or want someday.

Randalls are meant to be used, any value lost when it’s sold is more than made up for by the enjoyment of using it.

They are in a weird middle ground. The guys that buy Moras think we are nuts, and the guys who are into high end stuff look down their noses at us.

For me they are in the sweet spot of price vs quality.

Makes sense to down size to fewer with more quality. I’ve done that with my users.

I have kids so it doesn’t make sense to sell something for a loss that they may need or want someday.

Randalls are meant to be used, any value lost when it’s sold is more than made up for by the enjoyment of using it.

They are in a weird middle ground. The guys that buy Moras think we are nuts, and the guys who are into high end stuff look down their noses at us.

For me they are in the sweet spot of price vs quality.

Huh, I never thought of Randall knives that way.
Sort of the Buell of the knife world.

We don't have kids, or I'd leave this mess for them to sort out for themselves.

As a way to test this new theory/plan for myself,
and to put my money where my mouth is for everyone else.

I have used my Trapper as my sole knife since my original post.
Once you get past the fact that the blade won't shine like shorts at Hooters, the trauma is over.

For breakfast this morning, I had an omelette of sorts.
Mostly left over crap, some steak, red & green peppers, and a hunk of sharp cheddar cheese.

One of the first things you notice is how easy the knife glides through the food being chopped up.
Especially the steak, it lays meat open like nobody's business.

One thing I favor in a working camp or kitchen knife is a slight drop point.
Or at least some sort of way I can turn invert the knife and scrape things off boards and into pans.
The Trapper has this in spades.

As I was cleaning off all the goo, I reveled in the fact that I don't have to worry about water or food particles getting between the blade and the guard. Very Cool. Not unknown to me, but still very cool. Not having critter blood running into your handle can't be a bad thing.

Just a quick update on a cool experiment.

To be fair and honest, I won't be parting with all my knives. There are several that will remain.

More as time permits.
LV,

Randalls are indeed meant to be used! I got my 25-6" right before Thanksgiving and used it to slice my standing rib roast and it sliced through it like it was made specifically for my hand and to cut that meat. It was beautiful!

I too kinda downsized ( still have way to many )and kept my very best and use everyone of them. I promise you will appreciate and feel way better about useing them rather than trying to protect them. I did just get back my 23 game master I sold a few years ago and he was to afraid to use it so he sold it back.
nYpfCCD.jpg
6w8c94j.jpg
R5e6ybo.jpg
dO1Zkz7.jpg

And my Mosel 3 has been on every bear hunt in the mountains for last 4 maybe 5 years. And deer hunts here and there
PFf1Mtt.jpg

Back