Current GA Knife law

According to the website in the link below, anything blade 5" is legal, including switchblades, throwing stars, balisongs, and ballistic knives. Any blade over 5" requires a permit, which is very easy to get for either a knife or a gun.

http://www.knifeup.com/georgia-knife-laws/

Thank you! Thank you! I've been looking and looking for a clear explanation of the current law(s).

I loved the line near the top of the page :
The new law is much simpler but that does not mean it is not confusing.
I do so love understatement.:D

I've talked to a dozen or more LEOs, both local and state, over the past few months and most are unfamiliar with the specific changes. So one should keep in mind that just because you may be legal, doesn't mean you might not spend an unpleasant evening. You may not go to court/trial, but you could spend a night locked up.
Everyone of them said they were more concerned with the circumstances and you're demeanor. One even told me he wouldn't care about a sword cane IF I had a reason for the cane.
Basically, if you pass what many call the "attitude check", you're unlikely to have problems.

Apparently the law now does what I thought it did. That with a current CWP, your legal position is greatly improved and seems to cover almost anything blade related. Having the CWP also tells the LEO you are dealing with that you have had a fairly recent background check, which should help shift his view of you in your favor.

Only thing that site seems off on is:
A weapons license costs $30
There may be some counties in GA where that is accurate, but in the metro Atlanta area its $70 or more plus the fingerprint fee.

Very interesting. So, it is legal to carry a double-edged knife, then? Even one 5" or longer if you have a weapon permit? I didn't see a proscription against it.

Yes, it is legal.
And the GWL covers anything with a blade over 5".
5" and under doesn't require one.

I created an account just to answer this thread. Recently bought a Ka-Bar folding knife that was quite larger than my previous pocket knife (It's more for utility. I also carry a 9mm)

The thing to be careful about links like the ones listed is they aren't the Georgia Code and don't necessarily reflect the law. The laws regarding knives were updated in 2012 to include pre-emption just like the firearms laws.

Some people bothered to actually look it up, but here's the relevant parts in entirety.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 (2012)

§ 16-11-126. Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, and other locations and conditions; penalties for violations

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless [exemptions only apply to guns].

“Weapon” means a knife or handgun. “Knife” means a cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five inches in length which is fastened to a handle.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-136 (2012)

§ 16-11-136. Restrictions on possession, manufacture, sale, or transfer of knives

Except for restrictions in courthouses and government buildings, no county, municipality, or consolidated government shall, by rule or ordinance, constrain the possession, manufacture, sale, or transfer of a knife more restrictively than the provisions of this part.

It might complicated but it's not really. Because it's a law they have to cover their bases and have to draw the line somewhere.

TheKallumS

It's not vague, in fact the confusion is usually over their hyper-specificity. You can carry a knife under 5" anywhere without a weapons carry permit (over 5" and you need one) EXCEPT in government buildings (they have a definition somewhere else. Basically, municipal/county/state offices like the police station, community development building, city hall, etc. or Court Houses.) where you can't carry any weapons.

IN GEORGIA, a person can carry ANY KNIFE, under 5" for ANY REASON and not need a permit.

and to note something Alann45 said, I'm well acquainted with many of the Officers in my Atlanta Suburb, I work at a coffee shop that gives them free drinks and talk to them often. In general police operate off the "attitude check," if you're not a dick, you're probably going to have a MUCH easier time.

That being said, like noted, not all officers are familiar with the changes. They're not lawyers after all. So ALWAYS obey ANY command by a law enforcement officer. Even if they're mistaken, not listening or resisting can be an offence in it's own right and you could spend the night in jail for something else. If s/he says drop it, drop it. If s/he says freeze, stop fucking moving.

Hey all, I just registered to help add a little clarification to the discussion.

You CANNOT carry any knife you wish in "school safety zones." or at "school functions" No switchblades, dirk knifes, bowie knifes etc. And "any other knife" (which I supposed means basic folders, basic fixed blades) must be less than 2".

Otherwise, in line with the stuff already mentioned, it appears that you can carry a knife of 5" or less anywhere and without a weapons carry license except where local ordinances ban them in courthouses or government buildings. I have a weapons carry license, so I can also carry knives over 5" (and my Glock) except in bars (unless the owner allows it), courthouses, government buildings, jails or prisons, places of worship, state mental health facilities, on the premises of nuclear power facilities, and within 150' of polling places. Clear as mud, isn't it?

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my word for it--seek legal advice if you're unsure about these laws.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-125.1 (2010) said:
Definitions

As used in this part, the term:

(1) "Handgun" means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term "handgun" shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.

(2) "Knife" means a cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five inches in length which is fastened to a handle.

(3) "License holder" means a person who holds a valid weapons carry license.

(4) "Long gun" means a firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:

(A) Shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger or from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged; or

(B) Metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifle bore for each single pull of the trigger;

provided, however, that the term "long gun" shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.

(5) "Weapon" means a knife or handgun.

(6) "Weapons carry license" or "license" means a license issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129.

Weapon is defined differently in the section dealing with school zones/property/functions!!!
O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1 (2010) said:
Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "School safety zone" means in or on any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in or on the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.

(2) "Weapon" means and includes any pistol, revolver, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind, or any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, any other knife having a blade of two or more inches, straight-edge razor, razor blade, spring stick, knuckles, whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, blackjack, any bat, club, or other bludgeon-type weapon, or any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain, or any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, or any weapon of like kind, and any stun gun or taser as defined in subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-106. This paragraph excludes any of these instruments used for classroom work authorized by the teacher.

(b) (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person's control while within a school safety zone or at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.

(2) Any license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person who is not a license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00, by imprisonment for not less than two nor more than ten years, or both.

(3) Any person convicted of a violation of this subsection involving a dangerous weapon or machine gun, as such terms are defined in Code Section 16-11-121, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00 or by imprisonment for a period of not less than five nor more than ten years, or both.

(4) A child who violates this subsection may be subject to the provisions of Code Section 15-11-63.

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Baseball bats, hockey sticks, or other sports equipment possessed by competitors for legitimate athletic purposes;

(2) Participants in organized sport shooting events or firearm training courses;

(3) Persons participating in military training programs conducted by or on behalf of the armed forces of the United States or the Georgia Department of Defense;

(4) Persons participating in law enforcement training conducted by a police academy certified by the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council or by a law enforcement agency of the state or the United States or any political subdivision thereof;

(5) The following persons, when acting in the performance of their official duties or when en route to or from their official duties:

(A) A peace officer as defined by Code Section 35-8-2;

(B) A law enforcement officer of the United States government;

(C) A prosecuting attorney of this state or of the United States;

(D) An employee of the Georgia Department of Corrections or a correctional facility operated by a political subdivision of this state or the United States who is authorized by the head of such correctional agency or facility to carry a firearm;

(E) A person employed as a campus police officer or school security officer who is authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with Chapter 8 of Title 20; and

(F) Medical examiners, coroners, and their investigators who are employed by the state or any political subdivision thereof;

(6) A person who has been authorized in writing by a duly authorized official of the school to have in such person's possession or use as part of any activity being conducted at a school building, school property, or school function a weapon which would otherwise be prohibited by this Code section. Such authorization shall specify the weapon or weapons which have been authorized and the time period during which the authorization is valid;

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked at such school property or is in transit through a designated school zone;

(8) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;

(9) Persons employed in fulfilling defense contracts with the government of the United States or agencies thereof when possession of the weapon is necessary for manufacture, transport, installation, and testing under the requirements of such contract;

(10) Those employees of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the members of the State Board of Pardons and Paroles to carry a weapon;

(11) The Attorney General and those members of his or her staff whom he or she specifically authorizes in writing to carry a weapon;

(12) Probation supervisors employed by and under the authority of the Department of Corrections pursuant to Article 2 of Chapter 8 of Title 42, known as the "State-wide Probation Act," when specifically designated and authorized in writing by the director of the Division of Probation;

(13) Public safety directors of municipal corporations;

(14) State and federal trial and appellate judges;

(15) United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys;

(16) Clerks of the superior courts;

(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle; or

(18) Constables of any county of this state.
(d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.

(2) Any person who violates this subsection shall be subject to the penalties specified in subsection (b) of this Code section.

(3) This subsection shall not be construed to waive or alter any legal requirement for possession of weapons or firearms otherwise required by law.

(e) It shall be no defense to a prosecution for a violation of this Code section that:

(1) School was or was not in session at the time of the offense;

(2) The real property was being used for other purposes besides school purposes at the time of the offense; or

(3) The offense took place on a school vehicle.

(f) In a prosecution under this Code section, a map produced or reproduced by any municipal or county agency or department for the purpose of depicting the location and boundaries of the area of the real property of a school board or a private or public elementary or secondary school that is used for school purposes or the area of any campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education, or a true copy of the map, shall, if certified as a true copy by the custodian of the record, be admissible and shall constitute prima-facie evidence of the location and boundaries of the area, if the governing body of the municipality or county has approved the map as an official record of the location and boundaries of the area. A map approved under this Code section may be revised from time to time by the governing body of the municipality or county. The original of every map approved or revised under this subsection or a true copy of such original map shall be filed with the municipality or county and shall be maintained as an official record of the municipality or county. This subsection shall not preclude the prosecution from introducing or relying upon any other evidence or testimony to establish any element of this offense. This subsection shall not preclude the use or admissibility of a map or diagram other than the one which has been approved by the municipality or county.

(g) A county school board may adopt regulations requiring the posting of signs designating the areas of school boards and private or public elementary and secondary schools as "Weapon-free and Violence-free School Safety Zones."

(second post for exceeding the 15,000 character limit!)

Additionally, federal law trumps state law, so per 18 USC 930, you can't carry knives 2.5" or longer in federal facilities. I work for the Federal Aviation Administration, so I can't bring my 3.5" CRKT folder to work, but I can bring my Gerber multitool which has no blade longer than 2".

18 USC § 930 (2011) said:
Possession of firearms and dangerous
weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), who-
ever knowingly possesses or causes to be present
a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Fed-
eral facility (other than a Federal court facil-
ity), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under
this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or
both.

(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or
other dangerous weapon be used in the commis-
sion of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes
to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon
in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall
be fined under this title or imprisoned not more
than 5 years, or both.

(c) A person who kills any person in the course
of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the
course of an attack on a Federal facility involv-
ing the use of a firearm or other dangerous
weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an
act, shall be punished as provided in sections
1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

(1) the lawful performance of official duties
by an officer, agent, or employee of the United
States, a State, or a political subdivision
thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in
or supervise the prevention, detection, inves-
tigation, or prosecution of any violation of
law;

(2) the possession of a firearm or other dan-
gerous weapon by a Federal official or a mem-
ber of the Armed Forces if such possession is
authorized by law; or

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other
dangerous weapons in a Federal facility inci-
dent to hunting or other lawful purposes.

(e)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), who-
ever knowingly possesses or causes to be present
a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Fed-
eral court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be
fined under this title, imprisoned not more than
2 years, or both.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct
which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of sub-
section (d).

(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of
a court of the United States to punish for con-
tempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulat-
ing, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of
weapons within any building housing such court
or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds
appurtenant to such building.

(g) As used in this section:

(1) The term ‘‘Federal facility’’ means a
building or part thereof owned or leased by the
Federal Government, where Federal employees
are regularly present for the purpose of per-
forming their official duties.

(2) The term ‘‘dangerous weapon’’ means a
weapon, device, instrument, material, or sub-
stance, animate or inanimate, that is used for,
or is readily capable of, causing death or seri-
ous bodily injury, except that such term does
not include a pocket knife with a blade of less
than 2 1⁄2 inches in length.

(3) The term ‘‘Federal court facility’’ means
the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness
rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney con-
ference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices
of the court clerks, the United States attor-
ney, and the United States marshal, probation
and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of
any court of the United States.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a)
and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each
public entrance to each Federal facility, and no-
tice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicu-
ously at each public entrance to each Federal
court facility, and no person shall be convicted
of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with re-
spect to a Federal facility if such notice is not
so posted at such facility, unless such person
had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the
case may be.

Back