Current work... 10-1-11

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Custom S7 chopper with red G10. It's .315 thick. Feed this one a steady diet of wood to keep it fat.

038-1.jpg

.360 and Shadetree Glo-J burlap... whatmore can I say. :eek::cool:

041.jpg

I'll try to get another photo of it today, I spent all evening working on it. It has a tough looking bleach/bluing/brown finish and a black over coyote brown cord wrap.

12" long, ground from .250 stock with a full flat plungeless grind (on both sides. :D )

It is a 3" tall V with a convex edge, I was testing it yesterday and it is just nasty, it sunk about halfways with a light whack to some aged redwood end grain.

I have been wanting to do a black over coyote brown cord wrap, it really looks good with the black relic finish.

Here's this weeks work. I still need to do some work on them but they are close. The cleaver will get a polished edge and the dashis will get some edge polishing as well.

Sorry about the bad photo and dust on the knives, they look way better in person, I'll get better pics soon. The grind on that top one is straight, I guess that is a shadow from the flash.

010.jpg

For size reference the cleaver is 11.25" long.

that extra-pointy kiridashi is calling my name I think...

dunno what I'd use it for, looks like the handle part might be tricky to hold safe, but it's calling...

second one down is sweet. liking the large choils and the blunt end is a bit different from your "classic" blunt tip, but I think I like this one as well or better.. both are very functional..

what are the steel types used and thicknesses :)

edit: Ok, so second one down is fat and S7..

second one down is sweet. liking the large choils and the blunt end is a bit different from your "classic" blunt tip, but I think I like this one as well or better.. both are very functional..

what are the steel types used and thicknesses :)

edit: Ok, so second one down is fat and S7..
Yes, 5/16" thick S7 on that second one down. This design was based on customer input and I think it is a really good one, the weight forward design really chops well. The tip is a steep zero bevel chisel grind, I find it easy to sharpen and very useful... the edge grind is straight so it is also easy to sharpen with the microbevel and the main grind is convex to split wood like crazy.

The first one is .360" 5160, it is about the same size as my other midsize choppers, there is a lot of beef on this one! Red/orange burlap glow "Glo-J" scales by Shadetree Custom Composites.

I have some gutted coyote brown paracord under the black cord on the cleaver, it is nearly 1/4" thick and has a full grind to the top for maximum choppage.

The kwaiken and kiridashis are .250 5160. I used some nice ray skin on the kwaiken. The kiridashis will get matching sheaths.

They all look good, and that S7 chopper looks like it would make short work of anything in it's path.

How's the glow on the .360?

They all look good, and that S7 chopper looks like it would make short work of anything in it's path.

How's the glow on the .360?

Yeah that S7 one really chops, I may have to make more like it!

The .360 has a green glow, it still surprises me when I turn the lights out! The burlap micarta is really grippy. When I finish it I will bring out the color some more on the handle.

^ whats that stuff (not the snow, the leather?) :D and looks like you got a dusting of snow? The Cascades just got an 1"+ yesterday and its melting off today.. I assume it may be the same storm.. either way, SWEET! Hope it's a nasty winter with lots of storms every couple weeks.. I have 3 trips planned for Bachelor this winter.. hope to make more.. first one end of Nov./beginning of Dec... Might not get the snow I want, but if it is like last year it will be 30+ that early! (please please please....)

Kydex, that does look like leather though, especially that coyote brown. I worked on sheaths for about 12 hours today, all of these knives will be 100% ready soon!

Snow... we have maybe 1.5" of buildup now, it snowed lightly all day. I'm going to be running hard to get orders and then my shop done.

I don't see myself doing much snowboarding this year, I hope you get a ton but we don't get much.

I bought my wife a leather working book and some leather and tools, we hope to have some leather sheaths eventually.

O00OoooOoOooo)

leather pouch sheaths with belt loops and clip built in.. if that could happen.. I might have to send a few knives back your way to get them fitted.

edit: btw that is actually a really nice photo of the changing colors and depth going on.. :)

second edit: I need to think before I type.. that 2nd one down.. chopper that is.. "pinkish" g10? is that one spoken for? and can we see a close up of the handle? cheers!

and go rub your women's belly and talk to your child some :) hum to it.. laugh with her :) later!

Last edited:
O00OoooOoOooo)

leather pouch sheaths with belt loops and clip built in.. if that could happen.. I might have to send a few knives back your way to get them fitted.

edit: btw that is actually a really nice photo of the changing colors and depth going on.. :)

I like that idea, I want some deep pouch sheaths with built in belt loops, dark brown leather... :D

Thanks on the photo, I have good luck with those kind of photos, still need to work on the close-ups though.

Back