Important Info! Custom Knife History

A.G. Russell -

Born August 27, 1933 -- Oct. 12, 2018

In Eudora, Arkansas. A southern hamlet located in the extreme southeast corner of Arkansas; scrappy flatland where you can put one foot in Louisiana and stare across the river at the state of Mississippi simultaneously. This is where his great-grandfather taught him how to make knives when he was nine.

lPBm8WG.jpg

Russell went on to make knives as a hobby and profession. In 1964, Russell switched his focus to selling Arkansas whetstones and a year later began selling knives. In 1968 he started the first forum for selling aftermarket knives, the A.G. Russell List of Knives for Immediate Delivery, which later became The Cutting Edge. His mailing list was used as a basis for the first two knife magazines, Knife World and The American Blade, now known as Blade. In 1970 he co-founded the Knife Collectors Club and the Knife makers' Guild, both of which are the oldest continuously functioning organizations of their types.

1Om16Qt.jpg

Russell was the first member of the Knife Digest Cutlery Hall of Fame and produced the first commemorative pocket knife. Russell designed and produced the first linerless pocket knife with all-plastic handles in 1970. In 1975, he designed a unique boot knife he called the "Sting", a small knife intended for hunting and personal defense. In 1987, he introduced the "A.G. Russell One Hand Knife" which was one of the first production knives to use a blade thumbstud for one-handed opening. In 1988 he was inducted into the Blade Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame.

psR7NSN.jpg

In 1964 Russell founded "A.G. Russell Knives", the largest reseller of aftermarket knives. The company began selling Arkansas Whetstones and moved on to sell Randall Made Knives, Morseth Knives, and what were becoming collectible custom knives. By the 1970's, Russell was hiring knife makers to assemble in-house designs.

JC53iRf.jpg

Last edited:
George Howard Herron

Mr. Knife as he was called by some, of Springfield, South Carolina, USA

Born - Sept. 5th, 1932 - in Franklin County, Georgia, USA -- where his grandfather was a blacksmith.

Parents
Jasper Newton Herron
1904-1995
Lucy CRAWFORD
1907-1988

MTxxkwx.jpg

Died Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2007, - age of 74, at the Regional Medical Center in Orangeburg.
From a long illness,He's buried at Southlawn Cemetery.

jVxLgDu.jpg

In addition to his parents, Mr. Herron is predeceased by his brother, Billy Herron; and sister, Helen Herron.
He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Barbara Cothran Herron;
daughters, Deborah (Mike) Fulmer, Dianne (Harry) George, both of Aiken, Donna Hoover of Springfield; sisters, Betty Stonecypher of Covington, Ga., Scarlet Jeffrie of Toccoa, Ga.; brothers, Charles Herron, Jack Herron, both of Toccoa, Ga.

2NK7eBM.jpg

jPoxmyf.jpg

SYvzRTD.jpg

V8i5pVd.jpg

Most knife collectors have a favorite maker that they like, not just for their knives but for who the Maker is/was as a person. George Herron is one of those Makers that is a favorite to many, many collectors around the world. And for good reason - he earned it. He did not follow the path of others. George marched to the beat of his own drum. They say he had a very colorful personality. George always had his trusty pipe with him were ever he went. Some people were a little intimated by him at first until they got to know him and then he was a friend for life. George's shop was located behind his house, he had a grinder set up out side and worked out doors as much as he could, if he was in his shop, the door would always be open. Neighborhood kids & dogs always dropped by to say high. He was just a down to earth genuine human being, He is dearly missed by those who had the pleasure to know him. Always ready to help anyone with their questions and how to learn to make knives. At his funeral guys would say he was like a father to me.... And he was to everyone he met. George was an extraordinary man; he was a great man; he was a great friend, and his gift of friendship was given broadly. He mentored many apprentice and even taught a class at a small community college in North Carolina.

0ogpc9S.jpg

Mr. George Herron was a member and past president of the Knifemaker's Guild, He was the founding member of the South Carolina Association of Knifemaker's and helped start the North Carolina Custom Knifemaker's Guild.
He was also a proud member of the NRA. They said he had many guns all over his house and would tell his wife it was the same gun, that he had just moved it around. Well she didn't buy that at all. A fun favorite thing he liked to do was go and shoot prairie dogs in South Dakota. Favorite rifle was a Model No. 1 Ruger. And they said he was a very good shot, always adjusting his sight until it was just right. And he always like to get together with friends at a South Carolina hunting lodge. When deer hunting his friends may get one deer and George always seemed to get two or three.

6omBD32.jpg

fU3uZYB.jpg

For the quality of knife he made his prices were very low, other makers always were telling him - raise your prices. He said that he would have 50 - 60 knives at a show and sell out and that he liked it that way. One guy ordered a knife from him sending him fifty dollars and said if that was not enough to let him know and he would send more. George made his knife, put fifteen dollars in with it and sent it to the guy. That collector went on to by 14 more knives from him. Talk about someone with true and genuine worth.... he was.

kxAshN0.jpg

Mr. Herron served his country during the Korean War in the Army, were he had been involved and seen the horor of war.

wWZh7g5.jpg

He lived in Aiken before moving to Springfield, S.C. in 1985. He was a self-employed knife maker. He retired after 20 years of service at DuPont (Savannah River Site) as a machinist.

His interest in knives goes all the way back to the old rusty Barlow he had as a boy in the north Georgia mountains.

GHVozQn.jpg

The esteem in which the World War II servicemen held for fighting knives made by W.D. Randall Jr. and several other makers that preceded the increasing post-war demand for handmade hunting knives. He said "Somewhere about 1962, I read an article about a fellow in Florida who made knives. I figured, if he could make one, so could I, and so I did, and it turned out pretty good."

He made his first knife in 1963, honed from a file, fascinated one of his friends. So he gave it to him, and it just went from there. He went on to give away many, many knives over his life time.

"I never intended for it to become a business," he said "It just turned out that way."
He went onto make knives full time and he really loved what he did.

George made all types of knives, folders and fix blades. He used all types of material to make them. They truly are some of the finest knives ever made in the world.

eVRqEva.jpg

8FMaLgk.jpg

od5RnNX.jpg

Herron's tenure as a bladesmith has earned him many honors, including his 1987 induction into the Cutlery Hall of Fame. His knives have been featured in Field & Stream, the Wall Street Journal and dozens of other publications.

He was honored by the University of South Carolina's McKissick Museum as a recipient of the Jean Laney Harris Folk Heritage Award - bestowed to a select group of craftsmen, potters, musicians and others who developed their own style.

BBKHYsN.jpg

Blade show gives away the George Herron Award every year to one knife maker who's work and ethics deserve it.
The legacy of George Herron will remain in the knife world for a very long time to come.....

NOTE: From Bobby Branton - In post 34 regarding Herron Knives, you made a mistake in saying the The Blade Show gave away the Herron Award. That is not correct. The Herron Award was my idea and I was the one who sponsored it. I was also trained by George and bought out most of his shop when Mr's Herron finally decided to sell.

KOdEwCG.jpg

Last edited:

Walter Wells "Blackie" Collins, Jr

Born: - 1939 - Florence
Florence County
South Carolina, USA

Died:- July. 20, 2011
Batesburg
Lexington County
South Carolina, USA

He was the son of the late Walter Wells Collins and Ruby Caston Collins Fanning.

plkj2AF.jpg

Survivors include his wife, Jane Valentine Collins of the home; two daughters, Laurie O'Berry of Folkston, GA, and Cassie (Roddey) Walker of Rock Hill; six grandchildren, Caroline Pierce, Cayla Pierce, Scott Kennedy, Adam O'Berry, Ashlee O'Berry and Delainee Walker; three great-grandchildren, Jacob Pierce, Camryn Hayes and Italy Pierce; two brothers, Michael (Tonda) Collins of Blanchard, OK, and Anthony Fanning of Rock Hill.

Walter Wells Collins, who was known as "Blackie," died Wednsday afternoon, July 20, 2011 in a single-vehicle motorcycle crash about eight miles outside Batesburg. The 71-year-old was traveling west on U.S. 178 when his Triumph went off the right side of the road and struck a guardrail, according to the Highway Patrol. He was wearing a helmet.

He was a graduate of Rock Hill High School.

The Florence native moved to Woodford in 1981. He was a well-known knife and cutlery design engineer, mostly for the sporting goods industry. He had also served on Woodford Town Council.

AbcFD9q.jpg

5nJGONI.jpg

Collins had other innovations beyond knifemaking and was a life member of the NRA, S. C. Arms Collectors Association, S. C. Sons of Confederate Veterans, and the Harley Owners Group. He enjoyed kayaking and motorcycle riding and was an avid reader.
He designed holsters and concealment clothing for carrying firearms. Collins designed a trigger lock, called a "Cease Fire" for rifles and a shooter's screwdriver.

He made his first knife when he was in the second grade.

foyiwFE.jpg

Blackie Collins started making custom (handmade) knives in the mid 60's.

Collins was a founding member, with ten other knife designers/makers, of the Knifemakers' Guild in 1970. He founded the magazine known as American Blade in 1973, which he sold in 1982 and the renamed title was simply Blade. Collins was later an inductee into the Blade Magazine Hall of Fame.(What YEAR? help?)

mw3RUIh.jpg

Blade is a long-running consumer magazine about knife collecting.
First published in 1973 under the title American Blade by Southern House Publishing Co. with Blackie Collins as the editor, the magazine's title was changed to Blade in 1982 after its purchase by Jim Parker and Bruce Voyles. In the 1980s, the magazine served as the launching point for an annual convention for knife collectors, the Blade Show; established a Cutlery Hall of Fame; and spun off a trade magazine, Blade Trade.

fgSa3RT.jpg

He is cited by other knifemakers and collectors as one of the most innovative knife designers in the world.

Collins designed the bowie/survival knives series for Smith and Wesson in 1971 and was involved in designing their commemorative knives from 1971-1978. In 1981, Collins' designed a knife for Gerber Legendary Blades named the L.S.T. (Light, Strong, Tough). The LST was the first knife to feature injection molded Zytel handles and featured a total of 6 parts. His next design was an assisted opening knife called the Strut and Cut; the design for which came from motorcycling. The Strut&N'Cut's opening mechanism was based on his Ducati's single strut which enables the knife to open and close with ease.

Last edited:
He designed and manufactured Smith & Wesson's first cutlery products and patented the first positive lock and release knife for SCUBA diving in 1980.

2yrRljr.jpg

Designed and patented the first folding knife with injected molded handle of glass filled Nylon (checkered LST) in 1983 for Gerber Legendary Blades. This quickly became Gerber's all time best seller and literally changed the way pocket knives were made. It is still one of Gerber's biggest selling models after more than 20 years.

Checkered fiberglass-filled nylon handles ensure strength, durability and a non-slip grip.
A Blackie Collins original design.

Blackie designed and patented for Meyerco, the cutlery industry's first assisted opening folding knife in 1995. Over twenty cutlery companies have manufactured knives and multipurpose tools designed by Blackie and his first of over 75 patented designs has been in continuous production since 1968. In his later years of knife making Blackie designed exclusively for Meyerco and continued to defy the odds and create groundbreaking designs.

MKmykct.png

One of Blackie’s Last Designs Becomes a Reality
Cutlery Hall-of Famer Walter “Blackie” Collins left his mark on the cutlery world long before he left us in July of 2011, but his ideas are still reaching fruition almost two years after his death.
Colonial Knife Co. first introduced a new automatic knife for U.S. military issue in 2006, a solid, simple design that took full advantage of modern materials in its construction. The military loved it, but Colonial’s Steven Paolantonio always felt that the knife had more potential in the commercial marketplace. What it needed, he felt, was the keen eye of an expert designer.
“It became apparent during the mid-1990s that having a first-rate designer on your team is probably necessary to provide innovative designs that change the way people look at knives”, Paolantonio related. At the 2011 Blade Show, fate intervened. “It was day two of the show, when Blackie Collins unexpectedly stopped by to say hello”. “Hi, I’m Blackie,” he said with a smile. Due to busy booth traffic and the need to return to his booth, our meeting was short with the consensus that we should work on a collaborative. The next morning, Steven, Blackie and Blackie’s wife Jane met and used the time before the show opened to get to know each other and begin putting a collaborative in place.
The area that I felt needed to be addressed was the blade being used on Colonial’s American made line of knives such as the automatics-the existing designs worked well for their intended purpose, but lacked spiff and cool factor-hence the need for Blackie Collins-designed blades. Blackie took home with him several automatics of the Ribbed™ and Ameba™ series to see what he could come up with, and several weeks later I received Blackie’s call. He had designed tanto and clip point blades for the knives.
With a licensing agreement in place, signed by both parties and blade patterns decided on, they were now ready to prototype the blades. But then came the phone call. The conversation was one of sadness in finding out my new friend had passed on. Over the next six months Jane and I would speak, nothing about business or knives but rather, how she was doing. As can be expected, it wasn’t easy and things got put on the back burner. The next spring, I approached Jane and asked if she was still interested in moving forward on the plans Blackie and I had laid out, and with her blessings, we’re now ready to present the Ribbed tanto and Ameba key chain knives.
The Ribbed ™auto features a tanto design both in silver and non-reflective finishes, both in half serrated and straight edge. The Ameba™ key Chain knife’s blade is serrated, the reason being that such a compact and convenient blade tends to get a lot of abuse and neglect.

zkiWhE3.jpg

He published and edited America's first magazine devoted to cutlery, "Blade Magazine" in 1973. Collins wrote and published "How Knives are Made" in 1975, America's first How-to book on making cutlery. That led Blackie to write and published "How to Scrimshaw and Carve Ivory", "The Pocketknife Manual", and "Throwing Knives for Survival and Defense".

Collins, Blackie (1975). How knives are made (The Encyclopedia of American knives). Custom Knifemakers' Supply.
Collins, Blackie; Felix Mirando (1976). The Pocketknife Manual - Building, Repairing and Refinishing Pocketknives. Knife World Publications.

Collins, Blackie; McLoughlin, Chris (1977). Personal Defense. Knife World Publications.
Collins, Blackie (1978). Knife Throwing: Sport Survival Defense. Knife World Publications.

Knife Throwing. Written by an industry legend, Blackie Collins, this has to be the most popular book ever written on knife throwing. This comprehensive book by famous knife author & designer, Blackie Collins covers all areas like how to select a knife, how to make targets, how to determine range, and how to survive with a knife. A must have for anyone who throws or wants to know how to throw knives! 31 pages.

ibRmNWE.jpg

Collins, Blackie; Michael Collins (1978). How to Scrimshaw and Carve Ivory. Knife World Publications.

This slim volume, was written and copyrighted 11 years before the CITES trade agreement treaty of June 9, 1989. So the info on purchasing ivory and or owning it are outdated. The other info on preparing the ivory and the tools used are good for comparison, of the way things are done today and the tools used. I would say this book would be good for the reference shelf, or some one with only a passing interest in ivory work. Knife World Pubns (Jun 1978)

xUVTubb.jpg

Time line....

1970-Started Smith&Wesson line of knives.
1970-Started Collins Brothers semi-production knives (later Bowen knives)
1973-Started "American Blade" magazine-later known as BLADE-the first knife magazine.
1978-Started BENCHMARK knives. Created favorites like the NINJA, ROLOX, and Carolina Hunter and the TACII.
1983-Designed the LST for Gerber. The FIRST factory folder to utilize a one piece molded plastic handle frame. This revolutionized the knife industry.
1983-designed the Gerber bolt-action. The FIRST tactical folder.

Since then Blackie has become the most prolific "diving knife" designer and manufacturer in the world.
Blackie has collaborated with many companies including CASE, Gerber, Paragon, SOG, Meyerco
to create new and unusual knives for the buying public.

Blackie's knives may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they are always unique with a fresh approach to knife design.

Blackie was a true southern gentleman, and he will be surely missed by many who new him personally.
And the huge number of knife enthusiast from around the world who enjoyed his knives and designs he made.

Blackie with his brother Michael

iOP8k3x.jpg

Last edited:
Good day everyone, here is a photo copy of an article about Track Knives Inc, a couple of guys out of Whitefish Montana in the 70's. The Google knows very little about these guys, only 3-4 returns, nearly all from bladeforums right here. See bladeforum's custom search for relevant posts.

I came by this thru my Mom, the uncommon name Pfrimmer is a family connection, though I know of no direct relationship. I have no idea of the publication, there's no header. She just says in the sticky that it was found in a flyer eons ago and I got this copy maybe 20+ years ago so it seems likely it's from the 70's era. I've had it in a folder all this time and decided to dig it up and post it here. It's going in a protective sleeve after this though.

Don't miss column 2 paragraph 4!!

Does anyone have any additional/new/more info?

Thanks a lot,

John

View attachment 804568

Track knives were made for and sold by the Ithaca Gun Company. Later, Schmidt made knives under their own name, marked with a stylized "S" on the blade. Blade steel was D2, and the blades were left quite thick with a heavy edge bevel buffed to sharpness. I have a Track caping knife, pictured (gotta clean the verdigris off the guard!) I also have a full-color catalog from Schmidt knives.

track.jpg

tracksheath.jpg

Track knives were made for and sold by the Ithaca Gun Company. Later, Schmidt made knives under their own name, marked with a stylized "S" on the blade. Blade steel was D2, and the blades were left quite thick with a heavy edge bevel buffed to sharpness. I have a Track caping knife, pictured (gotta clean the verdigris off the guard!) I also have a full-color catalog from Schmidt knives.

track.jpg

tracksheath.jpg
I like it!

Custom Knife History

From the beginning of man there have been some type of cutting tools that they made and used. These tools were made with all kinds of material such as bone, wood, stone, flint, brass and eventually steel. All these were very crude looking, and all made by hand to help with survival at that time. As time passed by they learned how to make them better and better. So now here we are thousands of years later were a person can have a knife custom made. They are made from some of the finest steels ever developed. And from some of the best materials available to make the very best knives possible by some of the best skilled craftsmen in the world.

I've started this thread hopefully (with your help) to pass along some of the history of the custom knives made and being made. There is a ton of history in knives them selves. Such as the bowie knife history, knife designs & types made over the years. But I would like this to be about Custom Knives and their history over the years. What designs, materials, and trends that have brought us to this point. Who were the knife makers that pushed the market in certain directions with their designs. Were did they come from? Why & how did they start making knives? Why did some do better then others? What are some of the old stories that happened around these knife shops that folks collecting custom knives now and in the future may like to know?

Anyone who has been around custom knives for a while will know the big names in the game. These for sure will be talked about here for good reason. But there are others that are not that well known that should be included here also. So with all of us adding a bit of what we know here? Maybe we can pass a long to future knife collectors some of the knowledge before its lost? So please if you have photos & stories or any knowledge you would like to pass a long? Please do so, this is your thread.

Thanks for your help - I hope all knife enthusiasts will enjoy this thread for years to come.

So were should we begin?

original thread....... http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/custom-knife-history.1118349/

Last edited:
The influence in custom knives and the knife makers guild.......

The Knife makers' Guild is an organization made up of knife makers to promote custom knives, encourage ethical business practices, assist with technical aspects of knife making, and to sponsor knife shows. The Guild is composed of 300 knife maker members and several thousand collectors, writers, and other investors as honorary members.

The idea for Knife makers' Guild came about at a Las Vegas, Nevada gun show held at the Sahara Casino in February 1970. The actual founding occurred in November 1970 by A.G. Russell in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Charter members included Blackie Collins, Bob Loveless, John Nelson Cooper, and Dan Dennehy. Russell was made the first president with Loveless as the Secretary.

Presidents have included Jimmy Lile, Frank Centofante, D'Alton Holder, George Herron, Buster Warenski, and William F. Moran. The Knife makers' Guild is composed of over 300 members worldwide.

The Knife makers' Guild hosts an annual show where members meet once a year to conduct business, elect officers, and display their work. The show is attended by thousands of collectors.

PnxklsY.jpg

s4GJn6V.jpg

NOTE: -- See the quote in the photo above -- It's WRONG -- AG Russell was first President of the Guild in 1970.

eoHnnVT.jpg

The ABS

The American Bladesmith Society or ABS is a non-profit organization composed of knifemakers whose primary function is to promote the techniques of forging steel blades. The ABS was founded by knifemaker William F. Moran, who came up with the concept in 1972 when Moran was chairman of the Knifemakers' Guild and he introduced Damascus steel blades at an annual show; in 1976 he incorporated the organization and received non-profit status in 1985.

ABS knifemakers forge blades as opposed to making them via the stock-removal method. ABS has developed a system of ratings designating whether a member is an Apprentice, a Journeyman or a Master smith. ABS has partnered with several colleges to offer courses in bladesmithing and has launched its own museum.

Bill Moran had been elected chairman of the Knifemakers' Guild in 1972. At that time, there were less than a dozen practicing bladesmiths in America, and this number was decreasing, whereas the number of stock removal knifemakers was increasing. To remedy this, Moran unveiled 8 pattern welded blades at the 1973 show, dubbing them "Damascus Steel" and handed out a booklet on how to forge the steel to the knifemakers in attendance.

Within months, a handful of knifemakers began making Damascus blades: Bill Bagwell, Don Hastings, Michael Connor, and Sid Birt. By 1976 more than a dozen bladesmiths were making Damascus steel and on December 4, 1976, Moran wrote the by-laws.

In 1985, the ABS held its first hammer-in at Dubois, Wyoming in conjunction with the University of Wyoming. The following year it was moved to Washington, Arkansas in conjunction with Texarkana College. This campus had a replica of James Black’s blacksmith shop where during the winter of 1830-1831 James Bowie purchased a knife from Black. This hammer-in, named the Piney Woods Hammer-In, still occurs semi annually.

In 1988, the ABS established the criteria for Mastersmith and Journeyman. In 1991, Moran stepped down as president but the Society unanimously elected him “Chairman Emeritus”, meaning that he would serve on the board for the balance of his life.

In 1988 on the grounds of Historic Washington State Park in Hempstead County, Arkansas, The ABS and Texarkana College founded a Bladesmithing School in collaboration with the Pioneer Washington Foundation and the Arkansas State Parks. The campus was located near where historians believe that James Black, created the Bowie knife. From 1988 to 2001, Bill Moran taught at least one class a year at the school from basic knife making to the forging of Damascus steel. Upon his retirement from teaching in 2001, the school was renamed the William F. Moran School of Bladesmithing. The American Bladesmith Society is now associated with Texarkana College in Arkansas, Haywood Community College in North Carolina, and the New England School of Metalwork in Maine which offer Bladesmithing courses taught by experienced ABS Master Smiths and Journeyman Smiths.

The ABS launched its own museum and Hall of Fame in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1995 in conjunction with the Historic Arkansas Museum. The first year inductions were held in 1996: James Black, Jim Bowie, Don Hastings, B. R. Hughes, William F. Moran, and William Scagel.

Journeyman Smith

An applicant is eligible to apply for Journeyman Smith judging and rating at the Annual ABS meeting, after they have been a member of the ABS for 3 years. Following the "Introduction to Bladesmithing Course", the applicant may take the test under the supervision of a Master Smith. The applicant must have personally forged and performed all work on the test blade, with no other person physically assisting in its construction or heat-treating. The test knife must be a carbon steel forged blade with a maximum overall length of 15 inches, maximum width of 2 inches and blade length of 10 inches. Damascus or laminated blades are not allowed as test blades. Once the test begins, no work, not even light stropping, may be done to the test blade. The test blade is used to cut a free hanging rope, chop through 2 2X4" pieces of lumber and retain an edge capable of shaving hair from the judge's arm. Lastly the knife is placed into a vise and flexed. The knife must spring back without breaking and remain functional. If successful, the applicant must submit 5 forged carbon steel knives for judging on symmetry, balance, and aesthetics. Knifemakers who have attained this title frequently use the suffix "JS" when informing the public about their knives.

Master Smith

At the New York Knife Show in 1981, the first Master bladesmith ratings were awarded to: Bill Bagwell, Jimmy Fikes, Don Fogg, Don Hastings, Bill Moran, and James Schmidt. Years later tests were established for a maker to attain a rating of "Master smith". The tests for Master smith include using a forged Damascus steel blade with a minimum of 300 layers and fashioned as a "stick tang knife" (as opposed to a full-tang) to cut a free hanging rope, chop through 2 2X4" pieces of lumber and retain an edge capable of shaving hair. Lastly the knife is placed into a vise and flexed for 90 degrees. The knife must spring back without breaking and remain functional and not slip from the handle. Once the performance test is passed, the applicant must submit 5 knives to a panel of judges, all knives are judged on balance, beauty, and symmetry, but one must be an "Art Knife" or a "European style" dagger.

The first smith to receive the Master title under these requirements was Wayne Goddard.

Wyoming knifemaker Audra Draper became the first woman to hold a Master smith title in 1999.

Knifemakers who have attained this title frequently use the suffix "MS" when informing the public about their knives.

GGXZtIz.jpg

Last edited:
Jerry Fisk

(posted by Kevin Jones)
Thanks Kevin

I was asked if I could supply a little information on Jerry Fisk and of course I'm happy to.
I had written a piece on Jerry for the introduction section of David Darom's book "The World of Art Knives", so thought I would just post it here with David's permission.

David Darom’s “The World of Knife Art”
Jerry Fisk MS - The Man and his ART
By Kevin Jones USA

Very soon after becoming interested in custom knives, which was actually brought about by circumstance in my paying an unplanned visit to the Blade Show in Atlanta, I started researching this functional art. This research resulted in an appreciation for Jerry Fisk’s knives. One Saturday afternoon, after much deliberation, I decided to give Jerry a call. Considering Jerry being one of the finest and most well known knife makers in the world, I was not expecting to have an in depth conversation or to even speak with him for that matter. Upon Jerry answering the phone, I was immediately captivated by his friendly down home charm and eagerness to welcome and educate an obvious newcomer to the custom knife community. After discussing knives for quite a while we agreed to meet at what was to be my second Blade Show. I was fortunate enough to acquire my first Fisk knife, the “English Spearpoint Bowie”, from Jerry at that show, quite a feat given his six year waiting list. We have enjoyed a successful maker/collector relationship since that day, and even more importantly, a friendship.

Jerry Fisk has been forging knives in rural Arkansas for 29 years and offers a wide variety of knife styles. These styles range from his Sendero (one of the most recognized hunting knife designs in existence), to many styles of Bowie knives, fighters, folders, swords and art knives. He takes great pride in producing artistic knives which are ergonomically correct and can be used and enjoyed for generations. Jerry took up engraving and inlay in 2002 which along with his innovative Damascus designs help him in creating one beautiful work of art after another.

Jerry’s customer list is also diverse as he makes knives for collectors all over the world, including sportsmen whose knives accompany them on hunting and fishing trips, as well as royalty, heads of state, and leaders of Fortune 500 companies.

Jerry has taught me and others quite a bit about knives over the years. Working very closely with him on a large and small fighter, the “Gambler’s Set” displayed on one of the next pages, was one of my most rewarding experiences since becoming involved in custom knives. Jerry’s eagerness to share his knowledge and his commitment to creating knives that perform to the highest standards comes from his experiences at a very early age.

His grandfather made hunting and kitchen knives as well as agricultural cutting tools for maintaining his peach orchard. As sophisticated tools and equipment were not readily available, Jerry developed keen skills in working with his hands that continue to benefit him and his collectors. He actually used his grandfather’s old hand crank forge for his first three years as a full time knife maker, which he still has today.
Jerry quickly learned the value of a good handmade knife from tasks he preformed such as hand cutting corn stalks which were ground up and mixed into cow feed. He also used and experimented with his knives while hunting for wild boar, deer and bear.
Jerry’s family inspiration along with a visit to James Black’s forge in Washington Arkansas at age ten started him down the path in becoming one of the true pioneers of the custom knife industry. Jerry has made a great impact on the success and growth of custom knives over the years. In addition to him making outstanding knives, he has served as an ambassador of sorts in promoting and moving the industry forward. He became the 17th ABS Mastersmith in 1989, and was elected to the board of directors in 1994 as Vice-Chairman and ABS School/Museum Liaison Officer. Jerry has an impressive list of awards and accomplishments. Among his most notable, receiving the Governor’s Folk Life and Traditional Arts Award in 1997 from the Governor of Arkansas, and being designated a National Living Treasure in 1999.

Jerry Fisk says it best: “I am an old dinosaur in a lot of ways in my shop and outlook. I don’t care for much equipment. I prefer to do it by hand whenever possible. I can buy more equipment and make them faster, thereby making them cheaper. I don’t want to do that. I want to enjoy making the pieces and putting part of my life into them. I make pieces not just for the original owner but for those who he passes it down, his ancestors and mine to take pride in. This will show others in a hundred years that I have lived and what I did.”

It’s difficult to envision a custom knife world without the contributions and inspirations of Jerry Fisk, but not at all difficult to envision the ongoing appreciation his knives are certain to receive for many years to come.

Custom knife collecting seems to encompass not just the knives but camaraderie among the entire community. Perhaps even a lifestyle where collectors, makers, dealers and enthusiasts interact in creating a better experience for all. For this reason, I have found custom knives to be more gratifying than my collecting of other items over the years.
I like to say I collect “functional art” in that every knife is beautiful and one of a kind while also performing to function at a high degree. This mating of beauty and performance, along with the people I have met along the way, is what initially caught my attention and has continued to keep me interested.

22506862367_c88d7b0963_k.jpg

I don’t know who is in charge of this thread, but I think Harry K. McEvoy played a huge part in the custom knife movement simply by his association with Bo Randall and the numerous books, articles and knifemaker profiles on numerous makers over the years until his death. Harry K. McEvoy was inducted into the Blade Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame in 1987.
feel free to use any info in my research on my web site. I am still adding content as I find more information.
Below is a pic of
W.D. “Bo” Randall holding a pair of Tru Balance model #2 Bowie Axes.
His support of his friend Harry K. McEvoy helped launch Tru Balance Knife Company into a brand known world wide.

Attachments

• C1FDA94B-BD6F-4BC6-A2F8-E3B92C8FE19B.jpeg
    C1FDA94B-BD6F-4BC6-A2F8-E3B92C8FE19B.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back