Customer Conversation

RyanW

I don't do this (Post conversations in a public forum) normally. I just need to make sure I am not mental in my decision to cancel a customers order due to the time and effort involved... I never took any money up front and as you will see had some issues on my end. Love to get your honest input if I am being finicky or made the wrong decision.

I apologize in advance the conversation is very boring and goes in circles. I have changed his name (no his name is not TOM) and removed price quotes and Contact info.

*** Dec 23rd 2013 ***
TOM:
The sheepdog's paracord place is doing a big giveaway.It would be sweet to see you add one of your products to it.If you do tell them i sent you. Have a merry Christmas!
https://www.facebook.com/SheepdogParacordBracelets
https://www.facebook.com/events/1422236614672937/

*I didn't respond to this first message because I get quite a few requests to give away knives

*** Jan 18th 2014 ***
TOM:
Do you do custom knives?

Ryan W. Knives:
Yes the only knives I make are custom. What are you looking for?

TOM:
A bushcraft/camp/survival knife with a custom sheath, I want to carry it on duty

Ryan W. Knives:
If you want to draw something up and send me a Scan/Photo, I usually make a few modifications and we can get it in the works. Bushcraft knives are one of my favorite blades to make.

TOM:
I'm glad you like bushcraft knives because I need a good one and I'm in Army JROTC at the moment but my mom has a military discount
And I'm not sure about design
I can give you some specs but I'll let you design and fill in some specs if that's okay
Just let me know

Ryan W. Knives:
Specs would be perfect... What Kind of Price range are you in? My bushcraft knives with leather sheath (Can Do Kydex) run right around $$$$ up to 10" OAL.*Shoot me some specs and handle material info and we can work out a solid estimate

TOM:
Okay well I'll start with the sheath:
Sheath: If possible I would like a hybrid sheath that is kydex inner and leather outer with a firestarter attached and wrapped in 750 cord

Ryan W. Knives:
You want a Kydex inner, Leather outer, and then Wrap the Leather with 550 Cord?

TOM:
Yes with a firestarter attached
And could you do 750 not 550

Ryan W. Knives:
That is a bit different but I can do that no problem. Color of Leather and 750 Cord?

TOM:
Black cord and what colors of leather and types of leather can you do?

Ryan W. Knives:
I can leave it Natural (Light Tan), Brown or Black

TOM:
Which do you recommend for the outdoors?

Ryan W. Knives:
Not going to matter much if you are going to have it covered with Para Cord. I would go with Black or Brown, some of the brown will show through.

TOM:
Brown then

Ryan W. Knives:
Brown it is, What size are you looking for, Steel Type, Handle Material and color

TOM:
I was hoping you could help with those
Which steel is the best for what I'm wanting,which handle will hold up the best outdoors, and what length do you think would be best

Ryan W. Knives:
My favorite Bushcraft steel is 1095 or 1084 because they Work best with Firesteel striking and hold an edge very well.*
G10 Handles are the most durable with many color options, but if you want wood there are MANY Great options
I have attached my personal Bushcraft design...

TOM:
What is the difference between 1095 and 1084? And does g-10 have a good grip and is it also comfortable? And I like that
What kind of point is that?

Ryan W. Knives:
They are very similar, main difference is with 1095 I can hand polish out a Hamon (Pattern on the blade) and costs a little more for the extra time involved.*
G10 can be sandblasted for grip but still very comfortable, It is a mix between Spear Point and Drop Point - Very common.

TOM:
So only difference is a design?
Those are the 2 I was trying to decide between but now I guess I'm set

Ryan W. Knives:
What do you mean by Design?

TOM:
The hamon
And what designs can you do for the Hamon?
And I like the hybrid point too

Ryan W. Knives:
The Hamon is actually the Line that shows up when the spine is left soft and edge hard... it is like a finger print and everyone is different. I dont have a lot of control what it looks like. Eventually it will fade with use and is more cosmetic than functional on a blade this size.

TOM:
So which do you prefer?

Ryan W. Knives:
Price for a 1084 Bushcraft knife with G10 handle and Sheath (as discussed) would be $XXX... 1095 with Hamon would be $XXX. Performance will be nearly identical with either 1084 or 1095

TOM:
So I'll go with the 1084 because if its gonna disappear then why spend more lol

Ryan W. Knives:
Yep... good man!
I have a bit of a back log... you ok with it being ready around the end of Feb (which is very quick, normally orders are 6 months out)? I dont take any money up front, you pay when it is finished and you like the photos

TOM:
Yeah I'm okay with that and I like the way you do yours all the others want me to pay money up front but I prefer to see it first and I like your ideas

Ryan W. Knives:
I can always sell it if you end up not liking it for what ever reason... I have you down. Do you have an Email address. that is the easiest way for me to communicate with photos.

TOM:
Yeah that's what I wish the other makers understood and yes I do its $%^^#%@&@yahoo.com

Ryan W. Knives:
Thanks "TOM"!

TOM:
Your welcome! And Thank you!

**** To this point the conversation was fairly typical with a few unusual requests... But no big deal!
(To Be Continued!)

*** Jan 21st 2014 ***
TOM:
This is what i mean by bushcraft knife

Ryan W. Knives:
I am familiar with bushcraft knives... I am not a big fan of the Scandi Grind. May as well use an axe. Did you want a scandi Grind?

TOM:
What do you think I should do?

*** Jan 22nd 2014 ***
TOM:
Okay i need a summary of the order and cost either via email (#%@$&*@yahoo.com) or on here, because I'm going to decide what I'm going to do.If you need details before that reply back with what you need still.Thanks! Have a great rest of the day!

Ryan W. Knives:
I thought I already sent you the info... I sent it again. Let me know if you have any questions.

TOM:
I saw it i replied back.You may have but i didn't see it

TOM:
You are one of the nicer knife makers some of them are so impatient and rude but your the opposite.Thanks for working with me on this knife!

Ryan W. Knives:
I don't see any reason to be rude... I had some bad experiences with some makers before I started making. I try to not be an Ass!

*** Jan 23rd 2014 ***
TOM:
I appreciate it

*** Jan 29th 2014 ***
TOM:
So has there been any progress on my knife? Just wondering
No pressure just wondering

Ryan W. Knives:
I have you down for delivery at the end of Next Month (Feb) so I will get it started in a few weeks. I will shoot you an email when I get started. Glad you are excited

TOM:
I am.Thanks!

*** Feb 8th 2014 ***
TOM:
Hows my knife going?Any progress?

Ryan W. Knives:
I will be starting it on Monday and will get you updates as soon as I have them! Hang tight!

TOM:
Okay thanks!

TOM:
I want a knife that i can use for for camping and hiking and occasional wilderness skills so can i use your knife for that if not I'm okay with redesigning it

Ryan W. Knives:
That is exactly what the knife is made for.... Will be perfect!

TOM:
Okay just checking! Really excited
Thanks again!

TOM:
It seems the best steels for bushcraft knives is O-1,1095, or 5160

Ryan W. Knives:
"TOM"... You need to settle on something. I have worked with others that constantly research "The Best" and everyone has an opinion. I hope this doesn't turn into a second guessing game after the knife is finished. - Not too late to back out of this if you are getting second thoughts

TOM:
Which steel did we say for the original one?

Ryan W. Knives:
We were going to go with 1084... but if you think 1095 is better we can do that...*
1084 = .84% Carbon
1095 = .95% Carbon
So we are talking less than 1% Carbon in both, few other differences but won't bore you with that info

TOM:
So would 95 over 84 make any difference?

Ryan W. Knives:
Minimal if any... only difference is You can get a Hamon line with 1095. We can do your knife in 1095 at the same price (no hand polished Hamon)!

TOM:
okay don't need a hamon

*** Feb 10th 2014 ***
TOM:
So 1095 with no hamon?

Ryan W. Knives:
Yes 1095 No Hamon Have some photos for you this eve!

TOM:
Okay thanks!

TOM:
Any pics?
No rush just wondering

Ryan W. Knives:
I have a full time job, so I get most of my work done in the evenings. We are in Mtn. Time so that probably is not working in the update favor as well...

TOM:
I'm in central time

Ryan W. Knives:
You can follow the updates here:
http://www.ryanwknives.com/

TOM:
Like it

TOM:
I bookmarked it so I could check back on it occasionally
When is the expected finished date?

Ryan W. Knives:
You will have it by the end of this month! Glad you like it so far

*** Feb 11th 2014 ***
TOM:
Okay thanks

Last edited:
"I want to carry it on duty" "...I'm in JROTC..."

Ugh.

*I didn't respond to this first message because I get quite a few requests to give away knives[/I

Well, if you ever change you mind in that regard.... ;)

Haha Shane I think I get the Ugh!!

Jens if you look at it again, He is asking if I have made progress on his knife, but still questioning what steel we are using. Hard to make progress (If I had) when he will most likely back out of the steel I was making progress on...

Still not too bad.

You are a stand up and PATIENT guy. I'd imagine it gets pretty bad for you to even consider cancelling.

I could be wrong here but this sounds like a high school student. He might not even be over the age of 18.

I guess this is what stuck out to me the most...

TOM:
I'm glad you like bushcraft knives because I need a good one and I'm in Army JROTC at the moment but my mom has a military discount

Thanks Jball... in reality the customer in question was not out of control, just too much indecision but still wanting it NOW!

Old Fart... That was one that made me think it may go a different direction at some point. I will update more tonight

You are a stand up and PATIENT guy. I'd imagine it gets pretty bad for you to even consider cancelling.

I could be wrong here but this sounds like a high school student. He might not even be over the age of 18.

I would have tapped out a while ago, Ryan kudos on your patience :)

Yeah, he's in HS at the most based on his JROTC involvement. So, I guess some latitude could be given to account for his age. Maybe, to a point..

I actually field the odd inquiry from time to time. This one was fun :rolleyes:

him: Hi, I am looking to purchase a custom made Karambit, to be used in a tactical setting. Do you do take custom orders and how much would this cost me?

me: what form of tactical setting would the karambit be used in?

him: I'm a military member and my unit specializes in activities that require us up close to do our job. The karambit would fit with my fighting style which utilizes being in close, using short quick strikes, elbows and head strikes.

me: do you follow a particular fighting style that I can research?

him: Rapid Assault Tactics and some Silat and Kali. Videos of good RAT is hard to find, its taught primarily to military and law enforcement. It uses a lot of head control from the clinch, forcibly moving the target after an eye gouge, neck strike etc. Then following it up with a flurry of knees, head butts, elbows and joint destroying strikes. The Silat knife style is very suited to this kind of fighting combined with its cutting power. We did a cutting test with various knives and the Karambit has the cutting power of a much larger knife. This is the only semi decent RAT video i could find after a quick search. Sorry I couldnt find a better one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFfKv8CwdaU

at this point, I dropped the ball:D

ps. I did come up with a pretty sweet pattern though:thumbup:

Last edited:
Haha, I never actually asked his age but I agree with you guys that he was probably 16-18 at the most... I can still ask :D

Lorien you are way above my head with all the fighting techniques etc. that is a very weak area in my knife making which is why I dont fair well on USN. Everyone there is a knife fighter!

Update coming!

Haha, I never actually asked his age but I agree with you guys that he was probably 16-18 at the most... I can still ask :D

Lorien you are way above my head with all the fighting techniques etc. that is a very weak area in my knife making which is why I dont fair well on USN. Everyone there is a knife fighter!

Update coming!

^^^ Ryan, you know video games don't count right?

*** Feb 15th 2014 ***
TOM:
So any new knives or finished knives?

*** Feb 16th 2014 ***
Ryan W. Knives
nope

*** Feb 17th 2014 ***
TOM:
Okay just checking

Ryan W. Knives
I will have an update for you tonight!

TOM:
Okay thanks

TOM:
Saw it looking great!

*** Feb 20th 2014 ***
TOM:
Why does it look so funny before heat treat just wondering?
Please explain

Ryan W. Knives
That is After Heat Treat. I heated it up to 1475 Degees F and held at that temp for 6 minutes then quenched in Parks 50 Oil so that the steel hardens. Now I do the final grind and get the handle on

TOM:
Oh okay thats makes sense now!

*** Feb 22nd 2014 ***
Ryan W. Knives
I have the knife finished up, Ran into a slight issue. I received some new liner material and it is a bit darker in the center. Unfortunately I used some of the older on one side and newer on the other..
Let me know your thoughts, I am dropping it off at the sheath makers in a few minutes.

TOM:
I see what your saying
Who's the sheath makets

Ryan W. Knives
Well since you wanted Kydex I have a local guy (David) do that, I will finish up he leather and cord wrap when he is done.
I am willing to knock $50 off the price for my mess up if you can live with it. otherwise I will have to start over! Really sorry about that. Let me know

TOM:
Is very noticeable or is it just slight?

Ryan W. Knives
It is just like you see it in the photo... I noticed it right away, My wife and kids didnt see it until I pointed it out.

TOM:
I think that's okay if you are taking 50 off

Ryan W. Knives
I want you to be sure.... I can make another one up and have it to you by the 15th!

TOM:
Okay let me think so the only difference is ones brown and the others silver?
And what would the new price be if I took it without redoing it

*** Feb 22nd 2014 ***
Ryan W. Knives
Yes there is a very thin Tan line on one side and Thin White line on the other

I quoted you $XXX so with the $50 off it would be $XXX (+ $5 Shipping).

TOM:
Okay I'll think about it and lit you know

Ryan W. Knives
Dont take too long, I need to get this one to my kydex guy if you are going to keep it or start on the new one.

You are still not locked in if you want to just part ways!*
I am good with any of the options.

TOM:
Wouldn't it be the knife new or old?
For the sheath

Ryan W. Knives
Sheaths are custom fit to each knife. One size doesnt fit all

TOM:
Oh okay so how much time do I have to decide?

Ryan W. Knives
I am dropping them off on Monday, so before then will be great.

TOM:
Oh okay I can decide by them

*** Feb 23rd 2014 ***
TOM:
Hey
You there?

Ryan W. Knives
On my phone, whats up?

TOM:
How long will take if i chose to redo it?

Ryan W. Knives
I can have it to yo by the 15th of Mar

TOM:
So about 3 weeks
?
I'll probably do that

Ryan W. Knives
Yep three weeks, that is what we will do! Sorry about the mistake!

TOM:
Its okay everyone makes mistakes
Thank you for telling me

Ryan W. Knives
Thanks for understanding my friend

TOM:
Your welcome

*** Feb 24th 2014 ***
TOM:
Do you only do fixed blade? Do you do folders?

Ryan W. Knives
Yes only fixed blades... Thought about folders but don't have time!*

TOM:
Okay just asking
Yeah folders take more time since there are more parts and work and time

*** Feb 28th 2014 ***
TOM:
So how's it going?

TOM:
Hey hows the knife going?

Ryan W. Knives
It is going well... I havent gotten you updates because I have not had time. I am getting to the point of putting the handle on. I will get you photos as soon as I have them.

TOM:
Okay sounds good thanks!

TOM:
How long does it take for the hamon to go away?

Ryan W. Knives
Depends on how much it gets used... fairly quickly if you cut food or process game with it.
Too late for a hamon now, already heat treated

TOM:
yeah i figured how much extra would it be?

Ryan W. Knives
"TOM" I think I am going to have to walk away from this order... I dont think you and I are on the same page through this whole process.

TOM:
I dont understand why but I'm not gonna argue but ill just take my business to another maker then
Your loss not mine so have a great day!

Ryan W. Knives
I am ok with that "TOM"... I hope it works out well for you and no hard feelings. The back and forth and indecision is hard for me when I dont have time to start over again. Sorry It didn't work out

TOM:
OK not indecisive just said next time i get a knife but i don't care anymore ill go to a different hopefully better and more understanding maker.Good luck with your knives! Good day!

Ryan W. Knives
Thank you sir!

Back