Cutting Leather - Make a Recommendation

What do you all use to cut leather for your sheath making? I just use a standard utility knife and sometimes an Xacto. I keep a steel handy and I keep my utility knife sharp with a few strokes. Then, of course, replace blades fairly often.

I have been thinking of going to something different. I have a Roselli Grandfather knife that was made for general purpose use. I think maybe that blade is a little too curved. Maybe a Roselli Carpenter's Knife in their UHC steel?

What do you guys use to cut leather for your sheath and other leather projects?

Thanks.

QB

I use a round knife, Exacto, scissors, Scandi blade, a Case with a Worncliffe blade, .....sometimes anything that is within reach....or whatever works.

In all cases, the blade has to be fairly thin, and SHARP!!

I use an Olfa knife with snap-off blades. When I started, I thought I'd have to get some great, special knife to cut well. That's not the case. I like the snap blades for quickly and easily having a sharper blade in my hand, and I found a couple of styles of knife (large and small) that suit me best and that I feel like I have good control over (they make many types).

I also bought a pair of Gingher scissors that are awesome, but now all I use them for is to rough-cut patterns, etc. Any precision cutting is done with a knife.

Utility knife with snap-off blades. If I were to do this professionally, I'd go with some of the higher end cutting implements, but for my occasional project, the utility knife works fine.

No need for a higher end cutting tool. :)

I've been using one of two Stanley retractable utility knives for more than ten years now. Those two have been with me since day one and are still holding up well through hundreds of blades.

I do sharpen the blades regularly, and change them out when I cant get a good edge on them. A package of ten lasts me a couple of months minimum.

I use a 9" wilton table top band saw with a piece of 1/8 plywood lying on the table and inserted into the blade about an inch for a smooth cut. The leather then lays on the plywood to be cut. The few saw marks will be sanded out later after it has been sewed. Been a big help to me down the years making sheaths for myself as well as 4 or 5 other makers. For cuts that will not sand I just use a razor knife. Mike

Back