Dam removal and stream restoration - helping the environment repair itself

This is THE issue when it comes to anything environmental. Neither side is innocent which is why I don't understand the divisive speech and openly mock it.

I think what you're doing is cool. Thumb ups!:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Shotgun. If one is a student of the "art" of debate, one comes to understand that using terms of derision, mocking and pejoratives is the refuge of a person unable to intelligently debate. It has been and is a constant effort on our parts throughout our effort to not engage in such tactics, nor respond to them in kind. Rather to use facts from verifiable authoritative sources.

With our efforts to respond to the EA presented to FEMA now nearly complete, we are entering a new phase. That is to fill in the blanks left (on purpose or not) out of the draft environmental impact study. To facilitate this new phase, we are attempting to enlist the aid of several State agencies whose roles are mandated and budgets provided by the State legislature. We are also enlisting local and state media, giving them our side of the story and inviting them to interview people on the other side of the issue as well so they can present a balanced story to the public.

At the same time we are working to develop an alternative plan to dam replacement. A means to make something positive and attractive to the community and the public at large. Little Sugar Creek has the potential, restored, to be a prime smallmouth bass, rock bass and panfish fishery. As well as a clean and pleasant class I float stream for recreational paddlers from the tri-state area. In our opinions, removing the dam is only the beginning of restoring the creek.

Well we passed the deadline for public comments on the Environmental Impact study for the application for FEMA disaster funds. A contact with FEMA advised us that it will take them a while to read and thoroughly address all the concerns raised by those sending in their comments, a record number received for an EA according to that office.

Our communications with Dr. Brown at the University continue. He sent us a copy of a survey of species "of concern" in an adjacent watershed. We've not yet been able to initiate a study of our own watershed, but given the possibility of aquatic fauna on both "concern" and "endangered" lists nearby, we may possibly convince USFWS and AG&F to do a specific survey for this watershed.

Also on the political front, several of the city councilmen are now initiating ongoing talks with us. And out of positive interest, not just ego stroking or being patronizing. While it is too early yet to approach NGOs about funding and other assistance in creek restoration and park development, one very major NGO is pursuing channels to meet with us. Surprisingly, one we had assumed would be opposition, not ally.

Oh... say hello to the "Friends Of Little Sugar Creek mascot, the Ozark Hellbender. Basicly a rare giant salamander with very limited range.

[video=youtube;d9uxJZwlwNs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9uxJZwlwNs#t=59[/video]

Congratulations, you're making great progress! Love the video, reminds me of my senior prom date many years ago.... :D

We had some good news today. A phone call from a backchannel source at FEMA. Unofficial at the moment, but they are going to reject the environmental impact assessment and deny the funding. Actually return the EA to the city and engineering firm to correct deficiencies. Namely the denial of karst geology and faults, and their claim that the deed restrictions did not allow them to do other with the property than maintain the lake. They said they received well over 100 letters and emailed comments on the proposed project and they ran 3:1 against rebuilding the dam.

In other news, the area received well over an inch of rain in just over an hour and the dam overtopped again. The city closed the walk path on the top of the dam and opened one of the spillway gates.

2h5475k.jpg

2wdngid.jpg

k2b9zr.jpg

Also, minor collateral damage from this minor event is being reported to us by some local residents.

10zxmo6.jpg

4' of water and several thousand dollar of damage at this one residence.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a final decision. If people are determined it could take years. I have personally witnessed this type of situation. Yours does seem to be more pressing though. It seems like something needs to be done soon to curtail other issues.

The thing I really don't understand is what the city/government is trying to accomplish. What are they to gain? It surely can't be monies from the recreational side of the lake. At least from your side and pictures I can't possibly make reason for this.

It kind of reminds me of the show "Fletch lives". It almost seems like there might be some ulterior motives at play.

At first I thought they don't want to remove the dam because of all the silt that will pollute the downstream portion. Then I read that even if they rebuild the dam the silt will have to be removed. So that theory was blown out of the water. Pun.

I would lean towards the money side of things. Sometimes cities/states have been known to get money and not use all of it for what it was originally intended for. I have also personally seen this.

From what I can see from the information provided I think you are in the right and are applying common sense.

One thing you have going for you is you sided with the environmentalist. They seem to have endless determination and deep pockets which in your case might be a good thing. Keep us posted.

Thanks sykes3170. Will do. Of course in any political driven issue there are all sorts of motives in play. For the mayor it is an ego thing. He rules the city council. For years all meetings were closed to the public. He has to pre-approve anything brought up at a meeting.

But yes, it is being promoted as a porkbarrel freebie (though the city paid the out of state engineering firm over $200,000 to write and submit the EA).

Locally, it is a "historic landmark" to some. It, the dam and lake, has been there all their lives. And that shouldn't change. There are suspicions of nepotism involved in the construction project but we are trying to take the high road so that, on the chance we win, the Mayor and Council can take credit for the restoration and adjacent improved park facilities. Never a good idea to unnecessarily anger and besmirch a politician. Better an opponent than enemy? And then there is just the natural resistance to change.

Our efforts have really only just begun. Parallel with trying to defeat the funding, we are working to gain the attention of the State executive and representatives to influence state agencies to participate in preliminary planning for the restoration of the creek. And further development of the existing adjacent park into something attractive and useful.

We are not certain at this juncture if removal of the silt is the best course of action if the dam is removed. SOme case studies have shown that it is better to let the accumulation flush naturally downstream. Of course if reconstruction is in the offing, removal will likely be required in the EPA (and state equivalent agency) rules for mitigation. Hard to say at this point. We need more input on that from the Society Of American Dam Engineers (the group that listed this dam as a "failed structure" some years ago), and several NGOs involved in larger dam removal projects across the nation. We shall endeavor to persevere.

Last edited:
Just like the old Indian in "the outlaw Josie Wales" wet must endeavour to persevere. That's a good statement to follow in life.

Just like the old Indian in "the outlaw Josie Wales" wet must endeavour to persevere. That's a good statement to follow in life.
And Lone Wati's (Chief Dan George) statement was exactly where I got that.

...and when we had thought about that a long time, we declared war on the Union.

Hi Codger. I lived in and around Fayetteville for over five years and never heard of that dam nor the 'lake'. Looks to me like you're doing a good job. I recall NW Arkansas being fairly progressive with regards to environmental issues, although the big money and political push for "development" and "growth" often wins out. Someone who left Fayetteville 25 years ago and visited again today would be shocked at the sprawl, over-development, and congestion.

I'm curious, do you get much feedback from the residents who live near the lake? Either for or against the restoration? If it were me, I'd rather have a clear-running stream through the back yard than a stagnant pond, but lakefront property is the "in" thing in NW Arkansas.

From a historic standpoint, are there any remnants remaining from the 1915 resort? And if so, have those historic features been integrated into the new (proposed) landscape plan?

-----------

As an archaeologist I conducted cultural resource surveys for some water-related civil engineering projects in NW Arkansas and wonder if you had any involvement with the same projects. One that I specifically recall was the 2-Ton Water Line. Another was a proposed conservation lake in the Ozarks somewhere near Mountain Home or Mountain View; that project was eventually cancelled.

Hi Codger. I lived in and around Fayetteville for over five years and never heard of that dam nor the 'lake'. Looks to me like you're doing a good job. I recall NW Arkansas being fairly progressive with regards to environmental issues, although the big money and political push for "development" and "growth" often wins out. Someone who left Fayetteville 25 years ago and visited again today would be shocked at the sprawl, over-development, and congestion.

I'm curious, do you get much feedback from the residents who live near the lake? Either for or against the restoration? If it were me, I'd rather have a clear-running stream through the back yard than a stagnant pond, but lakefront property is the "in" thing in NW Arkansas.

From a historic standpoint, are there any remnants remaining from the 1915 resort? And if so, have those historic features been integrated into the new (proposed) landscape plan?

-----------

As an archaeologist I conducted cultural resource surveys for some water-related civil engineering projects in NW Arkansas and wonder if you had any involvement with the same projects. One that I specifically recall was the 2-Ton Water Line. Another was a proposed conservation lake in the Ozarks somewhere near Mountain Home or Mountain View; that project was eventually cancelled.

It is a rather small, low head, earthen fill dam that serves no good purpose and the lake it impounds is small and likewise serves no purpose.

I didn't live in the area but it , NW Ark, was a chief destination for my recreation from my high school days through adulthood and raising my own children until economic opportunity beckoned me to move out of State.

My civil engineering work was pretty well confined to the Little Rock area. Two major projects were the widening of JFK Blvd. in North Little Rock and the rerouting of 9th Street into the Arkansas River around an airport runway extension.

Always interested in history I did an as-built architectural plan of the Territorial Restoration. Very interesting doing the site survey, measuring the buildings, doing an overlay with the findings of ongoing small archeological digs on the grounds, and having unlimited access to the archives of the facility museum. I was one of the few to see the original blueprints and detail drawings done by the development architects early last century. It also allowed me to dig deeper into the city's Civil War history and correct some errors in the historic records. Locations of minor battles and routes of the old stage and plank roads of the time. Interesting stuff.

Residents have been, so far, excluded from input by the city government. There are just a few who are vocal at all on the topic. One is the local ladies historic society. Naturally they are all for keeping the status quo on the dam and lake. IIRC they are about the only visible remains of the early resort effort. It is possible that some foundations and artifacts will be exposed when the lake is drawn down. And my friend who is a resident has found some really nice stone tool artifacts in the lake bed during drawdowns. Naturally the creek drainage was frequented in prehistory and early history times as a hunting ground.

My civil engineering work was pretty well confined to the Little Rock area...

We did the archaeological survey for a new hospital in Little Rock in the mid-1990s. Or maybe our survey was limited to the new interstate exchange to access the new hospital...

Always interested in history I did an as-built architectural plan of the Territorial Restoration.

That sounds very cool. Military history related, we did an archaeological survey for a portion of Fort Chaffee. Not sure how much of what I recall is left, but many of the original wood-frame barrack buildings were intact at the time, and historic hand-laid stonework stairs and walkways (made by German POWs during WWII) were scattered around the overgrown property.

The Hellbender is a cool creature, if a bit mis-named. Good luck with your efforts, sounds like a dam that needs to come down. There are many across this country in similar state and I hope you are successful in a way that sets precedent for other local agencies to follow.

The Hellbender is a cool creature, if a bit mis-named. Good luck with your efforts, sounds like a dam that needs to come down. There are many across this country in similar state and I hope you are successful in a way that sets precedent for other local agencies to follow.
Looking for allies in our effort has brought us into contact with a varied lot of people and organizations very experienced and knowledgeable about the issues we are addressing. In and of itself I find it very interesting. Most are not the rabid "tree hugger earth first" types. Most are well educated and have very realistic outlooks and goals. And many have set precedents for us to follow. I never realized it before but there are many dam removal projects going on all over the country right now. Whereas not long ago entities sought to proliferate dams, now the trend is to selectively remove them. And these efforts go hand in hand with our looking for expert guidance. Engineering, legal reading and advice, technical document reading, historical research, hydrology, stream biology and ecology, geology, hydrodynamics, lists of endangered, threatened and species "of concern", and more play a role in this drama. Then we get into the social aspects. Making a failed resort project past due for demolition into an asset for the community. Beginning my involvement, I never would have guessed I would have to delve into so many disciplines. Even if successful my only reward will be personal satisfaction in the knowledge that I did something worthwhile, no name on a bridge or monument or footnotes in history. I'm good with that.

I think the issue with many of the dams in place is their age. I'm not aware of a dam of substantial size being constructed in the last few decades. The enviros have made their presence well known. In a sense it's a mistake because of the continued increase for electrical power. It is a very efficient way of producing power once the initial cost of the dam has been realized.

This brings me back to my original statement about age of the dams. With the change of technology and efficiency of turbines to produce power along with the cost of the the upkeep and liability nobody dares or wants to change or make improvements to many of these dams. The result is the elimination of these dams. Maybe it makes sense $ wise but it worries me because i'm not certain where our future electrical needs are going to come from. I kind of like my air conditioning in the summer and my thermostat at a even 70+ or - in the winter.

Kind of a rant on my part and does not apply to Codgers situation it was just some thoughts stumbling through my crossed path brainwaves. :foot:

I think the issue with many of the dams in place is their age. I'm not aware of a dam of substantial size being constructed in the last few decades. The enviros have made their presence well known. In a sense it's a mistake because of the continued increase for electrical power. It is a very efficient way of producing power once the initial cost of the dam has been realized.

This brings me back to my original statement about age of the dams. With the change of technology and efficiency of turbines to produce power along with the cost of the the upkeep and liability nobody dares or wants to change or make improvements to many of these dams. The result is the elimination of these dams. Maybe it makes sense $ wise but it worries me because i'm not certain where our future electrical needs are going to come from. I kind of like my air conditioning in the summer and my thermostat at a even 70+ or - in the winter.

Kind of a rant on my part and does not apply to Codgers situation it was just some thoughts stumbling through my crossed path brainwaves. :foot:

I agree with you for the most part. I am not against dams per se, certainly not against dams which serve a purpose such as hydroelectric generation, flood control and facilitation of commerce such as the TVA system on the Tennessee river. Recreation is an adjunct, and these dams are maintained, properly constructed, regularly inspected and do a great deal of good. The lake Bella Vista dam is a low head dam which was never intended to serve any purpose other than provide recreation for a soon-failed private resort enterprise a century ago. IIRC it is only 14' high by six or seven hundred feet long. And it was improperly engineered to begin with and has only ever received "failure mode maintenance".

Here is a post recently made by my friend Greg Van Horn on our Friends Of Little Sugar Creek Facebook page which gives some more insight:

A significant investment was made by the owner's of the Bella Vista Resort to encourage swimming in the newly formed "Lake Bella Vista." Considerable time and money was invested to build swimming docks and walkways across the lake. (see attached photo from 1922).

However, because the developers didn't understand the hydrology of this creek, they didn't expect the lake to get filled with silt and debris trapped behind the dam and degrading the water to a murky state. Then, to add to the problem and expenses, the floods washed away all they invested in swimming docks and structures. In 1917, the developers had no idea how the dam would drastically change the ecology of the stream. The dam would destroy the natural habitat for native fish and cause algae to proliferate in the once clear flowing water.

Only a few years after the opening of resort, swimming was not an activity that was desirable in the newly made reservoir. Customers of the resort began to complain about the reservoir's water quality. In search of clear water flowing over creek gravel, guests of the resort began to walk upstream to the confluence of McKissic Creek and Little Sugar Creek to swim in a deep hole known as the Blue Hole, an area that remains a popular swimming location to this day.

Damming the clear, flowing creek was an economic mistake made by the resort. The lake failed to provide recreation and instead cost the owners valuable funds which could have been invested in successful resort amenities, perhaps ensuring the long-term success of their business rather than its demise. (See photo of 1928 flood).

"It's quite reasonable for us to question that if a dam is no longer fulfilling its intended purpose whether it should remain standing. Our political institutions approve dam projects for a specific set of reasons at a particular point in time. After forty or fifty years, things change. Today, everyone would agree that we have a different economy, a different set of environmental values, and different social values than we did fifty years ago. If that's the case, why should we blindly accept and live with decisions made fifty or a hundred years ago if those are inconsistent with today's values or economy?" -- Daniel P. Beard, Former Commissioner of the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, excerpt from Deadbeat Dams

Thanks for your work .I know it's an uphill battle all the way but keep going.Years back I had some involvement in the Tocks Island project which we were able to stop. But I hear that name occasionally now !!
We have Hellbenders here in the Upper Delaware River .Rare but neat creature ! Beavers and otters are back now and lots of eagles, ospreys, great blue herons,kingfishers .all happy with lots of clean water and plenty of fish !!

It's too bad the original owners are not still alive. They should have been responsible for fixing the mess they created. Better yet, they should have never been allowed to do this in the first place. But, as the saying goes, that's water under the bridge,or over it, maybe even through it.:D

Well all the involved sciences have evolved exponentially over the hundred years since this particular dam was built, so it is hard for me personally to fault the original owners for their tampering with the environment as they did. However that does not absolve us of the responsibility to correct past errors using todays knowledge and technology, particularly in a case like this when the fix is cheaper and better for the environment than continuing to compound the original mistake.

I am familiar with this particular location. My parents live just up the hill from the lake, and I drive past it each time I visit them. I've never seen anyone fishing in it, but it does have some nice walking trails around it. I would love to see it returned to a clear-running stream, and that would help alleviate some of the flooding they have to deal with.

I'll be paying close attention to this subject.

Thanks for all you are doing!

Back