DE-glaze a sharpening stone.

I'm not worried about Waterstones and such, but just want to de-glaze GP hardware- store type stones. I tried bathing them In Laquer thinner, etc, but the glazing still remains. I ain't green, but nothing seems to clean these up. I've even soaked them in gas and tried to burn the shizzit off ! Yup, tried to re-surface with diamond stones'too. I'm just seeing if I can re-juvenate my old hardware store stones. Any tips fellas?

Pete :rolleyes:

Hi,

Burning might be a tad hard on the bond.:eek: Really, if they are that bad, you will need to remove enough of the surface until you get below the loaded strata. Sometimes if you haven't keep the stone dressed up, it can take a LOT dressing to get it cleaned up.

Now if you have a real cheapie stone, there might be too much of the bonding agent in stone. That could look like glazing. I've had that happen to me with a really cheap combo stone once.

dalee

Rub on a rough but reasonably flat concrete surface lubricated by plenty of water. Once th glaze is cut off and the stone reasonably flat you can grade it with sandpaper, but I've found it unecessary.

Tim Wright suggests using jewelers grinding compound, sprinkled on a piece of flat glass
and then some water, rubbing the stone in a circular motion and as mentioned above you
do want to get it as flat as you can, if you try to maintain the stone often, that shouldn't
be a problem.

I USE to have the big Norton Tri-hone set, nice but I grew tired of it and wanted something
more portable, plus easier to handle the stones, as you have to fix them into the supports
not as easy nor fun to do.

One thing Tim also suggested was to sharpen dry, no oil. I read today an article that also backed that up
So I cleaned my new set of stones, they each have their own little caskets to rest in ;)
and since my small SAK folder had a dull blade, cutting some sand paper :( I decided to
clean the stones and give this dry sharpening a go.

I'm impressed ! Plus you don't have the gunk and mess you usually have with the oil
and the edge I got, when I finished with the third stone, a fine india, it was shaving sharp
without having to go to any other stone, nor stropping either. It made a nice toothy type
edge, Me LikeY :)

So if you're tired of the mucking around with oil, give that a go!
G2

Found this site that sells the

60/90 Silicon Carbide Grit
Tim says the 1 pound will last a VERY long time.

You want to use a piece of flat glass to sprinkle this stuff on and spray some water
on there and then rub the sharpening stone around on that to get the stone back to
fresh again.

Also Tim says to use lighter fluid to clean off the stone when you are sharpening too.

I just ordered some of that 60/90 grit, I couldn't find any 100 grit but figured this should work
and I'll report back after it arrives, but since I'm traveling on Sunday for a week, it'll be
a little bit of time before I get back to this thread, I'll post some images up at that time
and report my efforts!
G2

Found this site that sells the

60/90 Silicon Carbide Grit
Tim says the 1 pound will last a VERY long time.

You want to use a piece of flat glass to sprinkle this stuff on and spray some water
on there and then rub the sharpening stone around on that to get the stone back to
fresh again.

Also Tim says to use lighter fluid to clean off the stone when you are sharpening too.

I just ordered some of that 60/90 grit, I couldn't find any 100 grit but figured this should work
and I'll report back after it arrives, but since I'm traveling on Sunday for a week, it'll be
a little bit of time before I get back to this thread, I'll post some images up at that time
and report my efforts!
G2

OK, just a couple of comments here. First, Gary-no speeding tickets! Second, I agree with the no oil on the stone theory, it worked great for me. Tertiary, Bar Keeper's Friend will clean the stones very well.
Nuff said, and may God give you traveling mercies!

Last edited:
hehe, I'm trying to keep that down!

and thanks for the tip on Tertiary will look for some of that.

I'm a little worried about the place I ordered the silicon carbide as they
haven't emailed anything back yet, just an auto acknowlegement of the order
but I emailed a question regarding the size issue, hope it's not TOO coarse a grit
to do these stones.

G2

Lee Valley sells that silicon carbide grit for plane bottom lapping. I will give that a go if the flat concrete rub doesn't help things.

Got a small pack of the grit here in Tampa, gave up on the other site
they finally responded but just cancelled and got a 1 pound bag here.
Used it today and it worked great, cleaned the stone nice and now cuts
very well again, no more glaze surface.

Used a small flat plate of glass, sprinkled a very small amount and then
sprinkled a little bit of water and rubbed in a circular motion, wax on wax off kind of deal ;)

I haven't found any of the Nagura, but that seems to be another way too...

G2

Here's my travel kit for sharpening, works pretty well;

Set of Spyderco Profiles, Spyderco DoubleStuff, Rust Eraser for cleaning the ceramics
Leather strop, a small fine india and a combo stone with a fine india and a coarse section
and a pound of Silicon Carbide grit for resurfacing the stones and lighter fluid for cleaning
the stones. I've stopped the oil mess and no looking back!

road_sharp1.jpg

got this plastic tub from Wallmart, it JUST holds the 1 pound of the Silicon Carbide grit
it's varying sized but works well, just use a piece of glass and a little water and you're in business ;)

silicon_carbide.jpg

Good to have when you can't bring your regular stones with ya :)
G2

Back