Recommendation? Decision, decisions.... Advice for a newbie?

I've been interested in Busse/Swamp Rat knives for some time and finally picked up a RatManDu. Now I've got the bug.....

So I ordered a Mega Ratweiler and it's available immediately! I'd heard lots of stories of long lead times. I just got off the phone from speaking to the factory and there wouldn't be a long wait on a few other models.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'll pick up another one... Given the fact that I have an RMD and an MRW, what would be a good addition, the TGULB, the Hell Razor 2 or the JackHammer?

The Mega Ratweiler and RatManDu will likely be users, number 3 I'm not sure.

As far as finish goes, I'm leaning towards Comp Finish, but I see DC is similar and cheaper. For an Infi blade, which would be better?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers!

Dave

Comp is my favorite, but because DCBB is a little less expensive, I lean toward it most of the time lately. Either will serve you well, IMO.

As for model, that is a matter of taste. I will say, though, that I like the looks of the Hellrazor the most; however, the TGULB is a better user in my hands.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I think I'm going for the TGULB. Not sure if it'll be the DC or Comp finish. I'm surprised that the Comp finish is more expensive than the DC as it seems as though there's more work in the DC?

Just got to decide on the handle now. The only example I have is the RMD with a tan micarta handle and I really like it. It's on a black coated RMD but I think it would look even nicer on a DC/Comp finish. One of the few collectors I know on my side of the pond (UK) has steered me towards the micarta as a more comfortable handle material but those G10 scales do look nice....

Welcome to the insanity, Dave! I’m a big fan of the TGULB and the HR2. I kept the Gemini and gifted the Razor, and there may be some regrets.... As far as which to get next, I’d consider different blade lengths to round out you burgeoning collection. Perhaps the Mega Swamp Warden. Maybe the F-16. In the the end, the real question is which to buy first.

Welcome to the insanity, Dave! I’m a big fan of the TGULB and the HR2. I kept the Gemini and gifted the Razor, and there may be some regrets.... As far as which to get next, I’d consider different blade lengths to round out you burgeoning collection. Perhaps the Mega Swamp Warden. Maybe the F-16. In the the end, the real question is which to buy first.

Looks like that would have to be a second hand purchase, as they have been removed from the site.

Expensive? Yes and no. You obviously man your own tiller. I enjoy using and collecting in many arenas. Only been aware of Bussekin since 2013. And I have more of them than any sane man should possess. (According to some. But we know better).

But if you buy quality, at a fair price, it will rarely diminish in value. Many barely used Bussekin show up here on The Exchange at terrific prices. And it’s tough to beat the enthusiasm of collecting what you enjoy.

I have a lot more of my “middle-class wealth” invested in the Stock Market, than I do in knives. But I know the value of those blades to a much greater degree. Enjoy the ride.

One of the few collectors I know on my side of the pond (UK) has steered me towards the micarta as a more comfortable handle material but those G10 scales do look nice....

I used to be strictly G10. Until I did some work with a wet handle. The G10 will work, IMO, and contrary to what others say, it doesn't seem to get slick, or not particularly so, when wet. Even with blood. But micarta.... it gets even greater traction/friction when it gets wet. Dry, it is pretty much no difference, as best as I can tell.

Welcome to the madness!

I like Comp and DC finished equally, depending on the aesthetics of the model.

Of what is available on the website now, I really really like the TGULB & JH10 a lot. That JackHammer 10 is surprisingly swift in hand, very well balanced. And same can be said for the TGULB. Great hands feel and light on the belt too!

Welcome to the madness!

I like Comp and DC finished equally, depending on the aesthetics of the model.

Of what is available on the website now, I really really like the TGULB & JH10 a lot. That JackHammer 10 is surprisingly swift in hand, very well balanced. And same can be said for the TGULB. Great hands feel and light on the belt too!

If the Mega RMD wasn't gone, I'd tell you to grab another. I'm pretty sure I have at least 2.
If those on the site, get the Klinkhammer - DC or CF. No hesitation.

Thanks, I decided to go for DC with tan handles, JH10 & TGULB. Just waiting for the invoice now!

2EFCA824-1244-4B2D-9A0B-1D839DD4BCEE.jpeg I’d suggest getting knives of different weights as this is usually the main deciding factor when I’m picking which knives will be accompanying me outside... Also if you’re into backpacking or hunting or want a lightweight edc, consider getting a WS-1020. I believe this is the first coated blade offered with the War Dog style handle and it’s quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite knives.
The ones above are shown with a Swamp Rat Howling Rat Gen 2.

Last edited:
Hi Dave from Ireland. I seen that RMD you bought on EM I was tempted myself but I have a few already so I passed.
The first Busse/kin I bought was the RMD a few years ago direct and believe me it's escalated since then. I have most of the popular Busse's but RES C is probably my favourite handle material.
Welcome to being broke :eek:

Back