Defcon 4

Since receiving my Defcon 4, I seem to carry little else (except for my other JSP). Upon first inspection, it may strike one as very odd mainly due to the aesthetic quality of the rigger coat. My particluar model has a two tone rigger coat pattern and i was initially somewhat apprehensive when I first viewed and handled it. The benefits of rigger coating became clear after a few weeks of training with and carrying the knife.

First, it truly does silence much of the excess noise inherent in kydex - knife draw is much quieter because of the rigger coat and sounds caused by general carry, bump, and scratch sounds are greatly reduced. Although the rigger coat pattern looks fairly abstract and barely resembles normal attire, it really does obscure the nature of the carry implement. If for any reason, someone caught a glimpse of the JSP, all they would see is some funky, multicolored object that hardly resembles a self defense knife. The knife maintains a very unconventional appearance so it may not be for everyone; rigger coating is a very practical feature that can only truly be appreciated by people who carry knives discreetly.

The Defcon 4 is very thin at 7/16 inch at the thickest point on the handle. Although there are many knives that are thinner, the rigger coat on the sheath and handle make it the most comfortable....period. Blade length is 3 3/4 in. and OAL is 8 in. - a compact package that is legal to carry in most places (with the exception of the sharpened false edge).

The edge is wickedly sharp with a double V grind which has no secondary bevel. The sacrfice in edge strength is more than compensated in sharpness - keep in mind, this is not a utility knife made for heavy use, it is a specialized tool for self defense thus the edge is ground accordingly. Also, the measurement of the blade from spine to edge is roughly 2 3/4 in. - makes large wound channels. The Defcon 4's sharpened false edge enables the practitioner to execute effective back cuts and provides more efficient penetration during thrusts. The large integral guard prevents the hand from slipping forward in when applying such techniques.

It is a well designed tool that is effortlessly concealed.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Ronald Reagan (edited 14 December 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Ronald Reagan (edited 17 December 1999).]

Paul,

Your Defcon 4 sounds really sweet! How do you carry it, static cord or associate harness?

I have a Defcon 3 that I carry daily. I wear cargo jeans/pants everywhere that have very large pockets, so James configured the sheath so that I could pin it to the inside of my right pants pocket. I can then pull the knife in a forward or sabre grip right out of the pocket. It is very secure and totaly hidden.

Back