Dendritic Cobalt?

I'd love to test one of the BDC(SDC?) militaries! I'm kinda curious how a somewhat brittle material will hold up with a liner-lock.
Aaron

------------------
amacks@nist.gov
Don't forget to pay your taxes...they eventually become my knives:)

Sal -

I'd love to help you discover the wonders of these new materials! I will, however, require one of each for comparison purposes!
wink.gif

ok, now were talkin' !!!

sal, when your plate is less full, let me know when and where and im there. knife pockets ready, jobs in line.

...now remember who your loyal volunteers are, id hate to get lost in the pile on this one.

at your service,
Rich the kite guy

[This message has been edited by TheBeak (edited 02 September 1999).]

Heh, someone tell Spark, we need a new checkbox in the user profile, "willing to beta test for Spyderco"
smile.gif

Put me on the list as well.

I am THE knife knut of my dept, and use my knives daily. I would consider it a singular honor to help out, especially with the education that Patrick and Vince gave me when I was there.

Now that that is said, PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

pat

I would be very curious to know how they work out as the Military would be the last Spyderco folder I would want Dendritic blades on. It is a hard use design and based on what I read the Dendritics are not hard use materials.

If it's a <EM style="color:maroon;font-style: normal; font-weight: bolder; ">test</EM>, as in finding out where the limits are, rather than a set of prototypes, then it's a good choice for exactly this reason.

------------------
Urban Fredriksson
www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
See above for:
* The F1's aircrew sheath photo

Point taken Griffon, the Military would be a good worse case senario. I would think though that it is a little too harsh. The results should be interesting and I hope available to the public as there are lots of people interested in dendritic materials.

-Cliff

I'm not keeping a list at this time. The first step in my plan is to create the test. This is where we must begin.

Who will help with various parts of the testing (original design, materials, field test, etc) may be influenced by the requirements of the test.

If one of you will begin a thread and keep it alive?

The best all around test that can be performed by an off site test group. I'll roust R & D to assist (shouldn't be too hard). My primary focus is, as always; Simplicty - Performance - Longevity. Although other factors, such as appearance will also have to be tested (judged).
sal

Sal,
I'm a big fan of David's knives and his steel. Since I have several of his knives I guess I wouldn't be a great canidate for testing out your knife, but it sure would be interesting to have several tests running at the same time and see what the results are? If you have one to spare, I'd run it through it's paces, and if you had a list of material that you would like to see the blade used against on a daily basis that would be a handy thing for all the testers.

I recently obtained one if the Cobalt folders and it really grabs well and cuts and cuts. I spoke to David Boye about the knife and complimented him on the folder, he said to be aware that under heavy or rather HARD cutting like on a knot of a tree you may see edge deformation, as the Cobalt folders he made are meant to cut fiberous material extremely well, good tip and one that I'll follow, also a good reason to have other knives?

Good luck on the Trials,
Maybe you can plan on coming to Ashokan next year, as Tim Zowada is planning on it being the Swords 2000 seminar and that should be very interesting!

G2

------------------
It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me,
it is the parts that I do understand.
Mark Twain

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

I've been using my Cobalt Boye for about two years now. I purchased it from Ironstone when it first was offered. While I haven't used it to cut wire or anything like that,I have used it to do everything from cutting nylon wire ties to slicing my tomatos. I'd be happy to participate in a test of a Military with this type of blade steel.My Military is one of the first models with the ATS-34 blade so a comparison could be made with that along with my Starmate in the CPM 440.

lbwheat

While cobalt may have manu uses, my original goal, which at this time is still the same,is; Marine environments. I believe that this particular area has needs that are not being addressed by manufacturers in the same way that Spyderco would do it.
sal

Marine environments will require more than just cobalt blades. Titanium liners, screws, and clips might be in order. It would also be good if the knife could be taken apart easily for cleaning, with tools and instructions included.

-Drew

im gonna have to second that. as much as we are told not to take our knives apart- id sure like a way engeenered in for me to strip and clean the works. funny how grit will gum up an otherwise light action.

------------------
'Till next time,
Rich the kite guy

Drew, Rich - I agree. That is the plan. That is why one of the interests we're pursuing is non ferris materials that can work in a knife and still survive the sea.

Our next batch of "Q" fog will include Dendritic cobalt, Talonite and another batch of steels. Precipitation hardening steels like 17.4 also have some very good corrosion resistant qualities. That is one of the reasons the SpydeRench was cast in 17.4 ph.
sal

As a "Military Man", I humbly volunteer for Military duty. Definately keep us posted, Sal.
(Subliminal message- pink Harpy, pink Harpy)
biggrin.gif

------------------
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
-Derek Bok

I wonder how hard it would be to have the liner and spacer attached together with rivets, and then the scales screwed to the liners. Then the scales could be removed and the knife cleaned without compromising the integrity of the lock.
Aaron

------------------
amacks@nist.gov
Don't forget to pay your taxes...they eventually become my knives:)

Sal,
is overseas testing included in your schedule? I mean, conditions may vary!
wink.gif
And I AM working in the NAVAL AND AIR DEFENCE SYSTEMS department, which makes for the IDEAL testing environment if you want to check ruggedness and marine environments during everyday use!
wink.gif
wink.gif

Otherwise I will just have to keep testing the Militaries, the Wegners, the Harpies, the ...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Back