Design contest!

coop7, were you planning this as a full 9" knife? Amazing blade shape, I think a slightly straighter handle would allow all of the edge to be more useable but it's a great looking design nonetheless.

Thanks for the kind words. It's around 7.5" overall. I think I see what your saying with handle, I tried to design it so it would point naturally, I might have sacrificed some other attributes trying to achieve that.

Thanks, it has turned out to be a cool thread. There are going to be some cool knives added to the lineup. Been working on some flat grinds and working with Andy on doing his convex grind.

On top of what design(s) come out of this thread, I designed a bird and trout style knife last week and a shrunken version of Andy's nesmuk, 7" OAL ( got Andy's approval first, lol)

I wanna see that shortmuk

I have a couple of drawing to enter. Each is to scale on graph paper. Two EDC skinner style and one more traditional general purpose bushcraft/hunting with a little twist. I tried to capture the style seen in your work still showing a couple of knives I would like to see. Do you want a hardcopy via mail? Thanks, it was fun doodling around to see what would shake out.

WAS-1.jpg
3.5" Blade/4.25" Handle "Mako" Shark

WAS-2.jpg
3.125" Blade/3.75" Handle

WAS-3.jpg
3.00 Blade/3.75" Hande

Last edited:
I have a couple of drawing to enter. Each is to scale on graph paper. Two EDC skinner style and one more traditional general purpose bushcraft/hunting with a little twist. I tried to capture the style seen in your work still showing a couple of knives I would like to see. Do you want a hardcopy via mail? Thanks, it was fun doodling around to see what would shake out.

View attachment 454985
3.5" Blade/4.25" Handle "Mako" Shark

View attachment 454986
3.125" Blade/3.75" Handle

View attachment 454987
3.00 Blade/3.75" Hande

"Mako" is sweet! Like a "Stingray EDC" on steriods, lol

Yeah, they do look similar. I do really like the handle you have on the Stingray. So I guess a shark wouldn't be too far off from what you are used to...lol. I just like the look the "swedge" chamfering adds and the touch more belly in the blade. Thank you for your comment.

I guess if you don't ever build this one I'll just have to pick up a Stingray or possibly turn the mako shark into a custom order. However, they would make a nice pair! ;)

PS - Will the Stingray be available in CPM154?

Last edited:
Thank you for submitting! I love this thread! The Stingray is available in CPM 154, been trying finish up all of the pre orders but I had one that sold in the Fiddleback Friday on the 4th. Typically you will see the first of a model from me in O1 to "test" the waters. CPM154 is my steel of choice.

So after thinking on it a bit and due to popularity, I thought a 4" version may be the majority preference. I'm not sure as I enjoy both. Maybe ~3" version more in my personal case, but it's real close call. I just enjoy participating. I'll leave final judgement to the professionals.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! The finished product was amazing, but the guy left a gap in the handle because he messed up the grind on the tapered tang, I was able to dehandle it but am still struggling with evening everything out.

Last edited:
f5d0t1.jpg

Here is my entry. It's a small all-around woods knife. Thanks for the contest!

Two more...
image.jpg

The knife on the left is 7.5"
The knife on the right is 6.5"

Thanks

I'm a bit hesitant to enter, and had a quick question. Even if our design isn't picked as the winner you can still use any design entered as if it was your own?

Back