Devanagari translation help?

There are some threads on this subforum from a few years ago that discuss this question. If you do a Bladeforums search in this subforum, you might be able to find some. I think that part of the inscription is the date that the blade was forged (in the Nepal calendar), possibly the original battalion, and maybe the name or initials of whoever was the Prime Minister at the time. You could also do a regular web search on the devanagari alphabet, or best of all, email Yangdu directly and ask if she can translate it for you.

These are wonderful blades, and if you get one that cleans up well (mine only had a thin layer of surface rust), it's a great piece. Mine has a small handle (not uncommon for genuine Nepalese knives), but it is so well-shaped that it feels great even though it practically disappears in my hand.

Here's one thread that mentions the question:

The first pic is the battalion name and the numbers following are the subunit/ number issued within that subunit. It appears this one has been reissued. Note the markings that have been struck, cancelled, and restruck below the spine. In other words it was reissued to the next guy and relabeled. This is common with several of these blades I have seen. I personally own one and I think i gave one to Bawanna?
I dont see that battalion in my references but will look harder later and post it here if I find it.
The second pic represents the ruling time period Shree 3 Chandra. Do a search on internet and it will tell you all about the king at that time and meaning of shree 3 etc. Basically means ruling class at the time the blade was issued.

Back