Did they discontinue the RD6?

Did they discontinue the RD6? I gave my niece one of mine for Christmas because I knew she needed a good stout woods knife. I looked to replace it and saw prices went high on them. So any one know if they finally killed off the RD line?

Well I guess it was a production cycle, I saw RD-6s on amazon 59.99 and ordered one last week, now they are 54.99. I waited to see if they came down and they did. Its just to handy not to have around, I pair it with the SP-51 and a lock back in the car with a smaller folder and sharpener in the sheath pouches. Had to use the bigger blade a lot but for utility stuff the RD-6 does well.

I guess OKC does know a winner when they see one. :D

Well... clearly I missed this when you first posted it. I guess I was distracted since we were about 2 weeks from SHOT Show at the time. The RD6 is still in our catalog to this day. Honestly, the price should probably be a lot higher than $54.99. That's the odd thing about being a manufacturer - you want to have low prices so people will buy more and be happier with the product (and then buy even MORE), but you also want pricing to reflect the quality of the knife.

Well... clearly I missed this when you first posted it. I guess I was distracted since we were about 2 weeks from SHOT Show at the time. The RD6 is still in our catalog to this day. Honestly, the price should probably be a lot higher than $54.99. That's the odd thing about being a manufacturer - you want to have low prices so people will buy more and be happier with the product (and then buy even MORE), but you also want pricing to reflect the quality of the knife.

I do not see that a high price indicates a high quality knife, reputation does that.

Your knives are know for being good quality at a great price, that is what makes Ontario who they are.

If you start making high priced knives then you have just priced yourself out of your customers and they will go to Schrade and their ever seas stuff.

I do not see that a high price indicates a high quality knife, reputation does that.

Your knives are know for being good quality at a great price, that is what makes Ontario who they are.

If you start making high priced knives then you have just priced yourself out of your customers and they will go to Schrade and their ever seas stuff.

I understand. But when it shows up on Amazon for just over half of what the rest of the market has it priced for, it gets a little scary. A sudden drop in market price is always alarming to a manufacturer. We take great pride in keeping our prices reasonable for a USA made product, we just don't want to give the wrong impression (or make it tough for other dealers to get by).

EDIT: maybe a better way to explain it is that when I see a price drop like that, I want to make sure it's just on sale, and not someone reacting to something that made them think it's lower quality.

Very weird. I read this thread this morning, and checked Big River. price was down to $52. Just looked again a moment ago and it's up to $91.

I wonder if someone at Ontario got someone from Big River on the phone and and complained about the low pricing.

I wonder if someone at Ontario got someone from Big River on the phone and and complained about the low pricing.

No way. That would be unethical, probably illegal, and just a dumb move. I'm not saying no company would do it, but we'd never tolerate that. I'm also sure Big River would (rightly) tell us to go away if we tried something like that.

Huh. Interesting. I didn't realize it would be an ethical issue. I sincerely apologize if I unintentionally accused you guys of anything. Certainly not my intent at all.

No problem, and I wasn't trying to be defensive. But I majored in business, and that's one of those questions that those of us in that field like to answer decisively.

Prices on the river fluctuate - going up and down according to a variety of factors (supply being one; and, I believe, interest/perceived demand is another). Some items seem fairly stable... others change quite regularly. This is nothing new, really - business as usual on the river

On Amazon they had it for 50 for a day or so. So of course I grabbed another one! I think they have a low price for some things that just come in to make people constantly keep checking their site for deals like that so more of their stuff is seen as the site is perused.

One of my prize blades is my Justin Gingrich RD-6 Signature Series. 3/8" of S-7 tool steel. It could shave the hair off a knats a**. Built like a tank. I love to show it to people who think thick blades can't possibly be sharp !!! LOL

I pair and RD6 with one of my SP-51 or SP-53s, one pouch gets a sharpener another a good quality lock back folder for finer fine fine stuff. Other wise the RD6 covers a lot of bushy stuff.

Back