Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

I went for a walk in a part of the park I haven’t been to for a while, hoping that recent rains and wind might have brought something interesting down, and I was rewarded by a fallen beech tree. I sawed off a bit - now to figure out what to make with it.
3TxkbUA.jpg

NGz5A6E.jpg

Opinel 10 is about 5 inches closed, for scale.
one er two small/medium needlefish /"pencil" lure for surf fishing? 🤔
Too short for a walking stick or staff.

I cut a piece of rose of Sharon for a thumb stick. I used a Gerber folding saw for that, but then I had to whittle down some knots to get the stick into a drying pipe.
0FJFBJO.jpg

I don't know if roS will make a good walking staff, or if this piece will survive the violence Bruno and I wrought upon it. If it does come out OK, the natural taper will make it easy to pole myself to my feet from the ground.

no photographic evidence ... used the big Case stockman (sheepsfoot blade) to open Amazon box with 5 pounds b made food, box with Ka-Bar stockmans, and an couple TEMU packages.
A bitta "overkill" I suppose ... I suspect my Stanley tool-less blade change traditional retractable blade box/utility knife could have handled today's cutting tasks.

no photographic evidence ... used the big Case stockman (sheepsfoot blade) to open Amazon box with 5 pounds b made food, box with Ka-Bar stockmans, and an couple TEMU packages.
A bitta "overkill" I suppose ... I suspect my Stanley tool-less blade change traditional retractable blade box/utility knife could have handled today's cutting tasks.
I'm sure the Stanley would have worked, but a stockman has more panache lol.

My son chose his Buck 110 last night to dissect a cow heart for biology class. He said dressing a fresh deer smells much better than the formaldehyde, or whatever chemical they’re using to preserve stuff these days. I have to agree with him.

View attachment 2504190

View attachment 2504191
beef heart 🤤 one of the better cuts of the cow. (after trimming off the fat. Also one of the better parts for eating of deer, elk, pig, fowl ...)
Too bad preserved with formalihyde, making it un-eatable. 😟

Last edited:
beef heart 🤤 one of the better cuts of the cow. (after trimming off the fas. Also one of the better parts for eating of deer, elk, pig, fowl ...)
Too bad presevered with formalihyde, making it un-eatable. 😟
I haven't tried heart - how do you like to cook it? Roast, cube for stew/soup, grill...?

I haven't tried heart - how do you like to cook it? Roast, cube for stew/soup, grill...?
I haven’t had beef heart (I don’t think), but for sheep and goats, we cut it into small pieces along with the kidneys and liver, and cook it in a skillet with onions, garlic, and jalapeño peppers. I’m not a huge fan of organ meats in general, but done like that it’s pretty tasty.

After trimming the fat off,I cut into 0.5 to 0.75 inch thick "steaks" then fry in garlic butter. Loaded Baked Tater (with garlic butter) or 25~35 Tater Tots (per eater ... was usually just me tho) on the side.
Can also cube it for chili.
I never made a stew with it or soup.

Back