• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Discount Knives

Ordered from "Discount Knives" a Rekat Fang and Rekat Utility Neck Knife, both in stock, Super price and Quick Delivery. My first order from them and not my last. Called many other dealers, either no answer or not in stock. I hate to wait.

Thanks Brian, for your great service.

Discount Knives? I've ordered two knives more than a month ago and still haven't received them. I tried to contact Brian three times and only got one reply saying that it was shipped on July 15th. Some how I don't think it would take more than a month to ship knives to any place in the world. Am I wrong? Anyone else have any problems with Discount Knives?

No problems with Discount Knives at all. Brian is always great to deal with. I always get my knives within a week, and I live across the country from him. I've ordered 4-5 times from Discount Knives with no complaints.

------------------
"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm."
RFrost5746@aol.com or Robert_Frost@ars.aon.com

I recall this topic on a thread quite some time ago. Some people loved Discount Knives and some couldnt stand it. Much the same reasons. Some people said they got great service and delivery and others said they never got their orders. The only problem I had was that my mom ordered me a knife last Christmas and it came to my house instead. Needless to say I looked at it before I took it to her to be wrapped up. Other than that I have had no problem.

------------------
-Dennis-

Never a problem so far.In fact, I ordered two from them this morning.I'll let you know if anything goes amiss.

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

I just received an Emerson La Griffe from Discount. Took eight days from the time I sent the order (snail mail) until I had it in my hand. I was too impatient and sent an e-mail to Brian, which was answered the same day. The service and price were both great.
Good Job!
Tonk

Received my order (see above) double quick, all in good shape, as always.Brian has always come through for me.

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

I got my BM 710 Axis, and my Cold Steel Scimitar from Brian within a week. I will definately do business with him again

I just wish he had some better Balisongs.....(Brian, ya' listening?)

------------------
Clay G.
www.balisongxtreme.com

Ordered and received a Boye from Discount so fast it made my head spin almost as much as the knife.

------------------
John G

Kudos to Brian. I ordered knives from him on
Monday and they arrived this morning. Can't get any better than that. I also emailed him one evening and had an answer the next morning. Keep it up, Brian. I'll be back for more.
Charlie

CYA,
Have you asked Discount to put a tracer on your package to locate it? Packages do get lost and it takes awhile to locate.

Hey Bo,
The funny thing is that Brian never charged me for the knives. I have a feeling that he didn't want my business(small sale). Maybe he should put a minimum order on his web site so poor guys like me won't bother buying from him.

I just received my second order from Brian, a BM330 and a BM705BT. I ordered on Thursday morning, and Saturday morning they showed up. Absolutely great service - again!

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

I have used Discount Knives and the service was first class-all the way to England. I have encountered dealers in my country that took more time to deliver.

mjjbecker

Both times I have ordered from him it has been very slow. Last order however he was on top of email queries. This time round I ordered 4 knives on March 29th and confirmed the order on April 2nd. I still have not received them, my card has not been charged. So far it has taken nearly 2 weeks.

The real problem is I can't get through to his phone number and he is taking 2-3 days to respond to email (and about 60% of the time I don't even get a response). I eventually sent out a note today (Friday) saying that I expected an answer by Monday or would consider the order cancelled. I have to say that he did answer a note I sent 2-3 days ago saying that he would look into it, but nothing came of that.

I really would like to do business with him, great prices, etc. But I don't feel that the terrible service I have received justifies the savings. Interestingly enough, many people seem to have had great experiences (including my brother-in-law).

Does anyone have any oppinions, ideas, suggestions?

------------------
Marwan

[This message has been edited by mjoury (edited 04-13-2001).]

I hear as much good as bad about this place. I will NOT take a risk. I will keep with those I KNOW are 110% reliable and efficiant.

Nothing personal, just business.

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

I think I have had things clarified to my satisfaction. When I first placed my order I specifically asked about getting the BM750 with the 154CM blade (not ATS34). Brian responded that he was not sure of the blade type and after calling BM to find out when 154CM production started I told him to go ahead and send me the knives I would take the risk on the steel.

Brian said that he would ship asap but then it appears he went out of his way to find out more about the steel. He has now found out that (apparently contrary to the info I obtained from BM) there was never a production run of ATS34 steel for the BM750. At any rate, that caused the delay. Of course the problem was that I had no idea that this was going on.

At any rate, everything seems to have been cleared up.

Thanks Brian!

------------------
Marwan

Eh? Mine is made from ATS-34. And I have heard from a Formite that wanted to know whether 154CM was a good as ATS-34 as that was what his 750 was made from... 154CM that is... Weird

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

General,

Is yours by any chance a first production run or special in some other way? I was definitely given the impression (by BM) that the 750 had at one time been produced in ATS34 and that they had switched in November/December of last year. I asked them that specific question with regards the 750.

I don't know why Brian would make that up but maybe his info is incorrect. I must say that his response to my note of Friday sounded a little acusatory (something to the effect of my many emails and the wording of the 750 never being produced in ATS34) but then my note was not all sweetness and light either.

At any rate I counted my emails and including pre-order info requests, order confirmation, and follow-ups over 15 days I emailed him about 6 times up until Monday, April 16th. The last three being over 4 days (tue-fri); all asking for order info which I eventually got the following Sunday. So given that I had no idea what was going on I did not think it was that excessive (he says 11 times but that includes info requests about other knives and a second order). His tone also basically accused me of causing the problem because of my request for 154CM steel and his contention that there was never a production run with that steel. However, I made it clear to him 2 weeks ago that I would take whatever he had and that my information from BM was that production changed in November/December.

I have no doubt that he is honest and that I will eventaully get my order -- he promissed that it would be here by Friday. I also don't have a problem with delays as long as I know what is going on. My biggest complaint was not being able to get in touch with him and clarify the situation. As I told him in my last note, all it would have taken was a quick email explaining what he was doing and I would have reiterated my willingness to accept whatever he had in stock. All settled, everyone happy.

Oh well, at least it all seems to have been sorted out. Maybe I did overeact, but I get antsy when I can't get in touch with the seller.

------------------
Marwan

The BM catalog from the year the 750 was introduced says the blade steel is ATS-34, but the 750 I own has no markings of any steel type. The knife is an early production model from before they thinned out the lock-bar.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Back